Parenting

Hey peeps, dog update

Waving hi to y'all! I haven been around much, but have tried to lurk and post when I can.

Brace yourselves for tl dr....

I know some of y'all were keeping up with what has been going on with my dog, Bandit. Unfortunately, things have gotten worse for him at a rapid pace. The meds his vet put him on helped for awhile, but recently I noticed that he was struggling a lot more with walking and even more disturbingly, seemed to be unable to not only control his bladder, but pee at all. I took him back to the vet and they started him on an IV of steroids and antibiotics due to a UTI and to see if any inflammation could be reduced to help his walking. He had some more improvement and actually walked to me on his own the first night back, but he quickly has gone back to not being able to walk, stand or urinate on his own. I have been having to express his bladder around the clock and his urine is so concentrated, it's killing the grass. I don't give a damn about the grass...I worry about what that is doing to his kidneys. In the past 24 hours, he pants non stop but will drink very little water.

DH and I talked last night, and we feel it is time to give Bandit mercy and put him to sleep. He turns 14 tomorrow, and we are scheduled to go through with it Monday evening. I am so upset about his decline, but I know this is the right thing to do for him. He's lived a good life and I did everything I could to try and help him.

If you made it this far, kudos. Just want to ask for some thoughts and prayers for strength for me as Bandit as we go through this next week.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hey peeps, dog update

• I am so heartbroken for you. I'm sorry. You're doing a good thing for him.

image image
  • I am so sorry. The loss will be hard but it sounds like you are making the right decision.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks, it's just so hard for me to picture my life without him here. I'm just sick about it. I would give anything to make him well again.
  • kj07kj07 member
    I'm so sorry.  It's such a hard decision, but it sounds like you guys are putting Bandit's best interests first, and hopefully that will help you though your loss.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • I'm so, so sorry that Bandit and your family are going through this.  Watching a pet suffer, and ultimately losing a pet - a member of your family - is incredibly difficult.

We lost our gorgeous 8-yr old lab/beagle cross two months ago to an illness that snuck up on us all very quickly.  I watched her pass away on the kitchen floor when DD was just 3 weeks old.  It was an awful day.

It's tough to determine what the "right" thing to do is, so I understand what a heartbreaking situation you find yourself in.  We wrestled with the decision to put her down or not ("What if she recovers from this?  What if she still has an adequate quality of life?") and DH had actually left work earlier that day to come home in order to do just that (he was en route when she passed).  She just went downhill so fast, in the matter of five hours.  

You're not alone.  Big hugs to you and Bandit.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hugs! I'm sorry to hear that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo photosig3_zps92919c91.jpg Just said good bye Sept. 19th (MMC at 12 weeks)
  • Im so sorry, that is such a hard choice. Lot of thoughts and prayers for you and Bandit.
  • I am so sorry. It sounds like what happened to to Cookie after she was was on prednisone for a couple of months to help boost her blood cell production - after a while, the steroids took a toll on her muscles and she would lose control over her back legs for a couple of hours at a time. You are doing the right thing - you have loved this dog for a long time and you are continuing to do what you can to make it about a full quality life, even if he has also been blessed with a full quantity life too. Ts&Ps for you, and if you want to pm me and cry about it, I will be there for you.

"We like nothing better than buffing our Zygoma. And imagining a horny time traveling long overcoat purple scarf wearing super sleuth nordic legend fuck fantasy. Get to work on that, internet." Benedict Cumberbatch

GIFSoup 

<a href

• imageKitiara5512:
    I am so sorry. It sounds like what happened to to Cookie after she was was on prednisone for a couple of months to help boost her blood cell production after a while, the steroids took a toll on her muscles and she would lose control over her back legs for a couple of hours at a time. You are doing the right thing you have loved this dog for a long time and you are continuing to do what you can to make it about a full quality life, even if he has also been blessed with a full quantity life too. Tsamp;Ps for you, and if you want to pm me and cry about it, I will be there for you.

Thank you, I appreciate your support. I have been sick with sadness all weekend from it. But he has no quality of life anymore...I have to express his bladder for him to urinate, he cannot stand up or get up from lying down, much less walk. He is bedridden all day. I just don't see how he could be happy anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"