May 2013 Moms

Sling recommendations?

Anyone have any sling recommendations? If so, why do you like it? Any you would avoid? Why? I want to get one, but don't know which one to buy. Thanks in advance!

Re: Sling recommendations?

• Sorry for the duplicate posts. I didn't realize it in time to delete this one.
  • I only have the moby wrap so I have nothing to compare to, but I really like it. It was hard to get used to at first tying but now I am used to it and I love it. It is super versatile to so in that respect it's great. It's comfy to wear and completely washable too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I have the Baby K'tan. I like it, though I also have nothing to compare it to. I like that it's easy to figure out, washable, I'm able to nurse in it, and it doesn't take up much space in the diaper bag. Only thing I don't like is that it's size specific to the wearer, so my size XS won't fit DH too.
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • I have the moby and ktan. I like the ktan better because its easier to get on. But it is size specific. No experience with an actual "sling" though.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love the Moby and ergo. Tried a ring sling with 1 and I couldn't get use to it. It kept feeling line the baby was about to fall out. That said, I had friends that swore by the ring sling.
  • I have a girasol ring sling, which I love. Very easy to use, get on and off, and my LO loves iy.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageCanuckFan03:
    I have a girasol ring sling, which I love. Very easy to use, get on and off, and my LO loves iy.
    Same! It's so supportive, it's fantastic. And easy to use.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagebeckyschell:
    I only have the moby wrap so I have nothing to compare to, but I really like it. It was hard to get used to at first tying but now I am used to it and I love it. It is super versatile to so in that respect it's great. It's comfy to wear and completely washable too.

Same.  Now that I'm comfortable tying it without looking in the mirror, it's great.  Plus, MH can wear it, too 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a JJ Cole knockoff of the ktan. I like it a lot, but as others have said, the sizing is specific. Even though my husband and I should be in the same size, it doesn't fit him right.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i have a Bali Baby Stretch and love it. Takes a little bit to get used to wrapping it but you get used to it. It is NOT size specific so anyone can wear it and it can be worn a million different ways up to 35lbs.
    Me - 26 DH - 27

8/15 - BFP

beta #1 - 178 beta #2 - 385 beta #3 - 934

u/s 9/13 - 1 little heartbeat :)

• I have a Maya Wrap that I practically lived in with DS.  And am already using it for DD.  LOVE it.  I also use it to nurse (NIP) on the go, nearly hands free.

I also have a Moby that I use too - but less frequently, the ring sling is just so quick an easy and adjustable. The sling is also cooler than the Moby in the summer weather.

• April!April! member
    I have a K'Tan but I'm not sure I like it! It's a little too stretchy and it doesn't seem to support my baby very well. He's still under 8 pounds, so it might be better when he is a little bigger. I'm glad I only paid half price for it at Target. :/
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • imagebananers:
    I have the Baby K'tan. I like it, though I also have nothing to compare it to. I like that it's easy to figure out, washable, I'm able to nurse in it, and it doesn't take up much space in the diaper bag. Only thing I don't like is that it's size specific to the wearer, so my size XS won't fit DH too.

I have the Baby K'tan and thought I would love it, but I'm having trouble using it.  I've been trying the kangaroo but it doesn't seem like she fits.  If her head is in it it seems really cramped and she is not happy.  The only way I've been able to use it is with her head sticking out, supported by the crook of my arm, which kind of defeats the purpose of being hands free. 

I'm wondering if I got the wrong size.  I got the XS, because pre-pregnancy that's the size I would wear (5' 3" 118 lbs).  I don't know how much I weigh now but I'm back in my regular size shirts but still don't fit into my pre-pregnancy pants.  I also washed/dried the K'tan before I used it, so maybe it shrunk?

If I can ask, how big are you that the XS works for you?  Also, what positions have you been using?  And what position to be able to nurse with it?  Any tips to get it to work? 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have the Maya wrap and DD loves it! It's super easy to use and she goes right to sleep every time. I've heard a lot of people complain that the Moby wrap is difficult to use at first because it is basically just a long piece of fabric. 
  • First, everyone should go check out the becoming mamas blog. It's done by one of the bumpies from DS1's BMB. It is an amazing resource, detailed information, reviews, videos, you name it. You can also find her on YouTube sn ncbelle78.

If you're looking for a sling, go with Sleeping Baby Productions. She's a WAHM, google it. The sling is good for NIP, but that is all I use it for due to an old neck injury. Do not buy a pouch sling. Those are the dangerous ones.

The Moby is great for the newborn phase. There is a learning curve, but once you master it, you are good to go. Mobys are a bit warm, though, so keep that in mind. It also is only safe up to 15 lbs. This is what I'm using at home right now.

Ergo is one of my favorites. It fits everyone in my family, is easy to pop on and off, cool enough for summer months, can work with newborn all the way to toddler. You would need the infant insert at this time. This is what I'm using out and about with LO now.

I also have a Didymos wrap that is amazing. It is like a Moby that will carry a toddler, and you can do back carries, and it's super pretty.

HTH!

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imagestar510:

imagebananers:
    I have the Baby K'tan. I like it, though I also have nothing to compare it to. I like that it's easy to figure out, washable, I'm able to nurse in it, and it doesn't take up much space in the diaper bag. Only thing I don't like is that it's size specific to the wearer, so my size XS won't fit DH too.

I have the Baby K'tan and thought I would love it, but I'm having trouble using it.  I've been trying the kangaroo but it doesn't seem like she fits.  If her head is in it it seems really cramped and she is not happy.  The only way I've been able to use it is with her head sticking out, supported by the crook of my arm, which kind of defeats the purpose of being hands free. 

I'm wondering if I got the wrong size.  I got the XS, because pre-pregnancy that's the size I would wear (5' 3" 118 lbs).  I don't know how much I weigh now but I'm back in my regular size shirts but still don't fit into my pre-pregnancy pants.  I also washed/dried the K'tan before I used it, so maybe it shrunk?

If I can ask, how big are you that the XS works for you?  Also, what positions have you been using?  And what position to be able to nurse with it?  Any tips to get it to work? 

I thought I'd bought the wrong size too, because it seemed too tight but I emailed Baby K'tan and they checked my measurements with me and confirmed I had the right size, then gave me some tips for making it more comfortable. I really like it now.

OP, I also have a Moby which I find difficult to get tied tight enough every time. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't. We also have a borrowed Caboo which my husband loves wearing. Both are adjustable so can be worn by either of us, which is nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagewmorgan003:
    I thought I'd bought the wrong size too, because it seemed too tight but I emailed Baby K'tan and they checked my measurements with me and confirmed I had the right size, then gave me some tips for making it more comfortable. I really like it now.

Would you mind sharing those tips?  TIA!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagestar510:

imagewmorgan003:

I would love to know too. I have a S and a M. I feel like one right in between the two would be perfect.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks so much for posting this!  I've got a Moby and an Ergo that I love (and LO loves them too!) but they are a little too warm for right now, take a bit long to put on for at-home wearing and quick runs for local errands, and are difficult to nurse in.  It has been helpful reading the responses here!

My problem is, I am VERY short on funds right now and know I only need the sling for quick convenience and easier feedings while doing housework...  I'm thinking of getting this, but worry it might be too cheap.  Thoughts?

https://www.amazon.com/Lite-On-Shoulder-Frizzy-Lite-on-Shoulder-Baby-Sling/dp/7883932586/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageNJAZgirl:
    imagestar510:

imagewmorgan003:

I would love to know too. I have a S and a M. I feel like one right in between the two would be perfect.
    I was a size 6 pre pregnancy, 5'5", was 130 lbs and am now 147 and a size 10 7 weeks post partum. I got a small.

The tips were to stretch it out before putting the baby in, to make sure that the fabric is all smoothed out and not bunched up at all, and to try the hug hold if the kangaroo hold is too snug. And they said it is meant to fit snugly and that it will stretch out a bit with use.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"