Babies: 6 - 9 Months

when do you start disciplining a child?

DD is 8 months now and i can already tell she's starting to get ONLY CHILD SYNDROME! aka being ridiculously spoiled by her grandparents and everyone else :( she cries for attention or to be picked up all the time (when she is capable of crawling). what do i do in a situation like this? is she too young to discipline when she's being bad? what do i do?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: when do you start disciplining a child?

• You don't need to discipline, you need to TEACH.  Show her or tell her what she needs to do.  That's the only way she would be "being bad", is if she knows the right way but is choosing to do it another way.  She has to know what the right thing is first and, at this age, she doesn't.
  • imagedelaine0821:
    You don't need to discipline, you need to TEACH.  Show her or tell her what she needs to do.  That's the only way she would be "being bad", is if she knows the right way but is choosing to do it another way.  She has to know what the right thing is first and, at this age, she doesn't.

This.  She is still learning, so you need to help her learn what is acceptable and what is not.  My DS will sometimes get a firm "No.  Be gentle." and then I show him what "gentle" means by repeating the same action (usually petting the cats, LOL) in a gentle manner.  He's getting it already and he's not even 8 months old.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedelaine0821:
    You don't need to discipline, you need to TEACH.  Show her or tell her what she needs to do.  That's the only way she would be "being bad", is if she knows the right way but is choosing to do it another way.  She has to know what the right thing is first and, at this age, she doesn't.

This. Until a child is capable of KNOWING they are doing something wrong to manipulate a situation, they should never be disciplined. It will just be confusing and upsetting to her now because she doesn't understand why. 

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries
  • Honestly, like 18 months-2 years of age is when discipline is real. When they are babies and early toddlers it's all about learning. They aren't being bad, they are trying to learn and get your attention. At this age it's all about redirection and the occasional "No". Real discipline like time outs and such won't start until they can actually know and do something bad. Which isn't until about 2.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageNana_Osaki06:
    Honestly, like 18 months-2 years of age is when discipline is real. When they are babies and early toddlers it's all about learning. They aren't being bad, they are trying to learn and get your attention. At this age it's all about redirection and the occasional "No". Real discipline like time outs and such won't start until they can actually know and do something bad. Which isn't until about 2.

THIS thank you so much, this was the most helpful. i guess i should have used the term "CORRECT" not discipline. i know that my baby is too young to be TOLD what to do, i am just asking when the appropriate time is to start disciplining such as time outs and other forms of non-spanking discipline.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagedpraseutsinh:

imageNana_Osaki06:
    Honestly, like 18 months-2 years of age is when discipline is real. When they are babies and early toddlers it's all about learning. They aren't being bad, they are trying to learn and get your attention. At this age it's all about redirection and the occasional "No". Real discipline like time outs and such won't start until they can actually know and do something bad. Which isn't until about 2.

THIS thank you so much, this was the most helpful. i guess i should have used the term "CORRECT" not discipline. i know that my baby is too young to be TOLD what to do, i am just asking when the appropriate time is to start disciplining such as time outs and other forms of non-spanking discipline.

I feel ya. For us it was about age 2. We do a modified version of 123 Magic. It's wonderful. My daughter knows when to stop doing something by the time we get to 2.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • nealblnealbl member

I would not really call this only child syndrome. DD2 goes through days like this and she has an older sister who is 3. It is just babies being babies. I agree with a pp that said you need to teach at this age not discpline. When DD2 is crawling or playing with something she shouldn't I say no as I am redirecting her although at this point I know she doesn't understand no. 

Babies do not act bad. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nealblnealbl member
    imagenealbl:

I would not really call this only child syndrome. DD2 goes through days like this and she has an older sister who is 3. It is just babies being babies. I agree with a pp that said you need to teach at this age not discpline. When DD2 is crawling or playing with something she shouldn't I say no as I am redirecting her although at this point I know she doesn't understand no. 

Babies do not act bad. 

Oh and with DD1 I think I started around 1.5 years old with time outs but she didn't really start responding to anything like that till closer to 2 years old.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • An 8 month old baby isn't capable of being bad. You need to change your perspective on your LOs behavior.
  • Of course you can teach her.  TEACH / DISICIPLINE it doesn't matter what you call it.  She may not understand your exact words but she does understand tone.  If she falls down, calmly says she okay and encourage her to get up.  Don't get excited that she fell, she'll realize that she gets attention that way.

i.e. DD is 6 months and every once in a while she throws a little temper tantrum when she can't do what she wants like rolling over, crawling, etc.  When she starts screaming I give her a little puff of air in her face to stop the cycle.  Then calmly speak to her.  Works eveyry time.

• imageStillharbor:

Of course you can teach her.  TEACH / DISICIPLINE it doesn't matter what you call it.  She may not understand your exact words but she does understand tone.  If she falls down, calmly says she okay and encourage her to get up.  Don't get excited that she fell, she'll realize that she gets attention that way.

i.e. DD is 6 months and every once in a while she throws a little temper tantrum when she can't do what she wants like rolling over, crawling, etc.  When she starts screaming I give her a little puff of air in her face to stop the cycle.  Then calmly speak to her.  Works eveyry time.

Seriously? You blow air in a babies face to "teach" them to not cry because they are frustrated? Thats sick on so many levels.

• imageStillharbor:
    Of course you can teach her. nbsp;TEACH / DISICIPLINE it doesn't matter what you call it. nbsp;She may not understand your exact words but she does understand tone. nbsp;If she falls down, calmly says she okay and encourage her to get up. nbsp;Don't get excited that she fell, she'll realize that she gets attention that way.i.e. DD is 6 months and every once in a while she throws a little temper tantrum when she can't do what she wants like rolling over, crawling, etc. nbsp;When she starts screaming I give her a little puff of air in her face to stop the cycle. nbsp;Then calmly speak to her. nbsp;Works eveyry time.

God you are an idiot. My eyes about rolled out of my head.
  • imageStillharbor:

Of course you can teach her.  TEACH / DISICIPLINE it doesn't matter what you call it.  She may not understand your exact words but she does understand tone.  If she falls down, calmly says she okay and encourage her to get up.  Don't get excited that she fell, she'll realize that she gets attention that way.

Just wow O_O 

• imagemabenner1:
    An 8 month old baby isn't capable of being bad. You need to change your perspective on your LOs behavior.

This exactly. Seriously, OP.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Around eight months they go through Separation anxiety when they become aware that you could leave and what that means.. Op I think to you or may appear she is spoiled and you fear this is because she's an only child but every baby at this age will display these behaviors as its developmental and a stage
  • imageStillharbor:
    Of course you can teach her. nbsp;TEACH / DISICIPLINE it doesn't matter what you call it. nbsp;She may not understand your exact words but she does understand tone. nbsp;If she falls down, calmly says she okay and encourage her to get up. nbsp;Don't get excited that she fell, she'll realize that she gets attention that way.i.e. DD is 6 months and every once in a while she throws a little temper tantrum when she can't do what she wants like rolling over, crawling, etc. nbsp;When she starts screaming I give her a little puff of air in her face to stop the cycle. nbsp;Then calmly speak to her. nbsp;Works eveyry time.

Really? Do you realize that crying is the only way your child has to communicate how they're feeling at that age? Crying from frustration is totally normal, and you blowing in your los face to reprimand her is awful.
  • Wow I am a lurker and coming out of lurkerdom for this.  Think you ladies are overacting much?  I have a 6 month old who is just learning new sensations and currently loves moving air and loves it when the wind blows on him or if I blow on him... laughs and giggles like crazy.  I will sometimes do the same thing if lo is fussing, not as discipline but as a distraction... often times he will stop crying and start laughing and we are all happy.  I am amazed how quick we are to judge what works for other moms... 
  • imageMilady15:
    Wow I am a lurker and coming out of lurkerdom for this.  Think you ladies are overacting much?  I have a 6 month old who is just learning new sensations and currently loves moving air and loves it when the wind blows on him or if I blow on him... laughs and giggles like crazy.  I will sometimes do the same thing if lo is fussing, not as discipline but as a distraction... often times he will stop crying and start laughing and we are all happy.  I am amazed how quick we are to judge what works for other moms... 

It's really less about the blowing in the babies face and more about the idea that a 6 month old is throwing a "temper tantrum" that needs to be "corrected."  My kid loves to have air blown in his face too, so I do it for fun, not to try and "teach" him that crying is bad or sumshit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageMilady15:
    Wow I am a lurker and coming out of lurkerdom for this. nbsp;Think you ladies are overacting much? nbsp;I have a 6 month old who is just learning new sensations and currently loves moving air and loves it when the wind blows on him or if I blow on him... laughs and giggles like crazy. nbsp;I will sometimes do the same thing if lo is fussing, not as discipline but as a distraction... often times he will stop crying and start laughing and we are all happy. nbsp;I am amazed how quick we are to judge what works for other moms...nbsp;

But the pp isn't doing it for fun, she's doing it to discipline her child. Big difference.
  • erbearerbear member

Wow Milady. You're a tool.

OP: 8 months is too young for any discipline. Think 18-20 months. 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • imageNana_Osaki06:

This.  We started doing time-outs when our kids were right around 18 months.  You'll know when they're ready because you'll know when your kids understand exactly what you're saying

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"