Toddlers: 24 Months+

Backless booster seat for 2.5 year old?!?

I was always under the impression that a backless booster seat was for older kids (like age 5+). Obviously, I don't have one. Recently, a friend came over with her 2.5 year old and I looked in the car and saw she had him in what looked like NOTHING, then I saw the small booster. He is average height and weight, probably close to my son (35 lb and 39 inches). I didn't say anything but I was kind of horrified because it just didn't look safe for a 2.5 year old! So should I say something to her? Like where did his other car seat go? Or I'm pretty sure he's too young for that? 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Backless booster seat for 2.5 year old?!?

• I don't have advice on what to say, but I do think you should say something.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagefredalina:
    The law in most states is 40 pounds and 4 years minimum. That is still not old enough. Most kids are not ready for a high back booster until 5 or 6.

This. My 7 yo rides primarily in a high back booster. I let her ride in a backless occasionally if the belt fit is okay.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • imagefredalina:
    The law in most states is 40 pounds and 4 years minimum. That is still not old enough. Most kids are not ready for a high back booster until 5 or 6.

This. I would say something. It could save the child's life.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Backless for a 2.5 year old = reckless. Not appropriate and dangerous. Show her this:

https://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/149737/putting_your_child_in_a

There is more like that too, but it's the first that popped in my head.

• So I mentioned it to her and she kept saying "Well, it says 30 lbs on the box" and where did I read that it's not good blah blah blah. I told her to go to the fire station to get it checked out because I'm sure they will tell her it's not OK....hopefully she listens.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageGrk_Natasha:
    So I mentioned it to her and she kept saying "Well, it says 30 lbs on the box" and where did I read that it's not good blah blah blah. I told her to go to the fire station to get it checked out because I'm sure they will tell her it's not OK....hopefully she listens.

Most instruction manuals say the child has to be at least 3 years old. That's really not old enough IMO, but in this case it might at least get her to change back to a harnessed seat for a few more months.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • The recommendation is for a child to rear face until 2 years old.  That child should be in a 5 point harness still.  My 2.5 year old is still rear facing.  I can't even imagine putting her in just a booster.  The recommendation is to have them in a 5 point harness until close to age 5.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"