Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Level 2 Nipples, at 5 weeks?

Tonight my LO was SO frustrated trying to feed.  We used 2 different bottles, a Tommy Tippee and a Similac, both with level 1 nipples, and had the same problem.  She would try to eat but would repeatedly spit the nipple out and cry.  I had some level 2 nipples on hand for when we need them so I decide to try one and she seemed so much happier and finished her bottle, no problem.

Is it normal to have such a young baby on a level 2 nipple?  The packaging says 3+ months, so I was worried about using it.  Can it cause more gas or other issues?  Should I just keep using them?  I guess she has to eat!  :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Level 2 Nipples, at 5 weeks?

• I was going to ask if formula clogged the nipple, but it sounds like you used two different bottles. I would try a few more sessions before making a decison. I think its fine if she isn't choking.

• We switched from a level 1 or a "slow" nipple to the level 2 or "medium" nipple around the same time.  DD was getting so frustrated and angry while eating bc she couldn't get it out fast enough and as soon as we switched to the medium nipple she was automatically happy.  We tried the slow flow a couple more times but no luck, it was time to move up a step.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Liz629Liz629 member

We use Dr. Browns, so I am not sure how much they differ, but we switched to level 2 at 8 weeks.  When DS was sucking, the whole nipple would collapse and then he would spit it out.  That indicated to me that he was having to work too hard to get food.

If her nipple was collapsing then I would say it is the same issue.  If she is not choking while eating, I would say it is fine to switch.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Switch if you need to.  I have never used anything but the level 1 nipples even with my current 15m old.  No need IMO.  My nipples don't change size as the baby ages.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagediana.filipi:
    Switch if you need to.  I have never used anything but the level 1 nipples even with my current 15m old.  No need IMO.  My nipples don't change size as the baby ages.

no, but our nipples are also not made of hollow collapsible plastic that deflates when the baby sucks too hard.  not the same at all.  If Level 1 works for your kid forever that is great, but james also has started collapsing the level 1 nipples and we had to switch up.

OP -- not all babies are the same and those age recommendations are made based on averages.  Do what works for you two!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • We have been on level 2 nipples since DD was about 5 days old. We just switched to 3's at 11 weeks

ETA: we use Avent Naturals.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We use the Aventi so the age ratings are different, but we switched from the level 1 to level 2 when my husband accidentally used the wrong one. LO took it fine and sucked down the whole bottle in half the time. If the baby likes it, keep the faster nipple!
    imageimageimage
  • Every baby's different so even though the packaging may say 3+ months I figure as long as baby's not choking or having milk run out the sides of the mouth when you're trying to feed then go with the faster nipple.  Much better than having a frustrated LO!
  • imagemrshall10210:
    Tonight my LO was SO frustrated trying to feed.nbsp; We used 2 different bottles, a Tommy Tippee and a Similac, both with levelnbsp;1 nipples, and had the same problem.nbsp; She would try to eat but would repeatedly spit the nipple out and cry.nbsp; I had some level 2 nipples on hand for when we need them so I decide to try one and she seemed so much happier and finished her bottle, no problem.Is it normal to have such a young baby on a level 2 nipple?nbsp; The packaging says 3 months, so I was worried about using it.nbsp; Can it cause more gas or other issues?nbsp; Should I just keep using them?nbsp; I guess she has to eat!nbsp; :

I would worry a little bit about it leading to over feeding. At that age, babies can't process that they are full as quickly as an older child. With that said, every baby is different. My 14 month old still uses a preemie nipple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"