2nd Trimester

Red raspberry leaf tea question

I was wondering if anyone knew if it would be helpful or harmful to drink red raspberry leaf tea if I have marginal placenta previa? I always hear how great RRL is, but recently read that could cause uterine contractions, which I would want to avoid with the placenta previa. Anyone know anymore about this tea? It's hard to find real info on it. Thanks! 
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker The Coastal Living Mom Blog: http://thecoastallivingmom.wordpress.com/

Re: Red raspberry leaf tea question

• A friend of mine had minor placenta previa, and also drank the tea in the last few weeks of pregnancy. I am unsure if she got medical advice on this. I honestly don't know if it helped her at all? She went super overdue, had bad contractions on and off for days, had terrible bleeding during delivery and had to spend a long time in hospital. She hated the tea soo much, and I don't know if it helped her at all?!
    You can also get capsules from the health food shop, if you get sick of the tea. I would double check with medical professional first though, just in case.
  • It tones the uterine muscles and nothing more. It does not cause contractions, but if you are prone to preterm labor or frequent BH it can make the tightening more pronounced.

I am not sure what it would do for placenta previa considering that condition is placental and nothing to do with the uterine muscles.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • There are no definitive studies proving that teas, hibiscus, raspberry, or other, cause uterine contractions, so most people tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to drinking them. That said, I think you'd be fine as long as you aren't drinking a gallon at a time.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Mrs HSMrs HS member
    I asked my midwife this question and she said that they recommend Raspberry Leaf tea to bring on contractions and advised me not to drink it until closer to my date.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took it before while TTC and other I have known took it for the same reason. However everything I read said not to take it during pregnancy because it could cause contractions. To me it wouldn't be worth it.

• During prior pregnancy I asked my mid-wife if I could drink it - she said not red raspberry LEAF tea, but could have raspberry tea. To be honest I just skipped flavored tea altogether. I had no complications with my pregnancy, so I would think the answer for you would definitely be "no," but check with your dr/midwife to be sure before trying it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OP I would recommend consulting a trained herbalist in regards to the condition that you mentioned. It does NOT cause contractions and is considered in herbal medicine traditions not only safe but beneficial if used medicinally in the second or third trimester.

But this is for a generally safe pregnancy to begin with. It does have a toning effect on the uterine muscles and I don't know if this could cause further problems with the condition that you mentioned.

Red Rasberry Leaf tea, prepared as an Infusion, steeped in a closed container for a minimum of four hours, and taken in medicinal doses, up to one quart per day, in the second and third trimester of pregnancy has been shown both incidentally and on some medical studies to be beneficial.

Just drinking a few cups of the tea here or there that has only steeped for less then four hours is not going to do anything for you or to you for that matter.

This is from the American Pregnancy Association,
    Herbal Tea and Pregnancy: AKA Pregnancy Teas

"There are a number of teas labeled as Pregnancy Teas or herbs such as red raspberry leaf that are in teas, that are considered to be good for pregnancy. Many midwives and professionals who work with herbs believe that the regular consumption of these teas may help prevent pregnancy complications such as preeclampsia, preterm labor, prolonged labor, and postpartum hemorrhage.

Medical studies have shown that red raspberry leaf can be consumed safely during pregnancy and can decrease the length of labor and decrease the number of interventions used such as artificial rupture of membranes AROM, assisted delivery, and cesarean delivery. Red raspberry leaf also seems to help prevent pregnancies from preor postterm gestation delivering too early or too late."

An herbalist could answer your question and help you determine of here are other herbal allies that would be better for you during pregnancy. There are other herbs such as Nettle that are quite good for pregnancy as well.

• ZulixxZulixx member
    I was about to quote the American pregnancy association but some one already did. Your fine!
  • I was drinking RRL tea when I conceived. Since it didn't cause me to expel my precious cargo, I think it's pretty safe.

I love how it tastes and will be drinking it again when I get to be around 32 weeks. Don't ask me why I'm waiting that long, it's a totally arbitrary date.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"