August 2013 Moms

BTDT moms of big babies

So went for a 4D elective us today. Baby girl is great but they were concern because she is measuring 4 weeks ahead! They told me my ob can request this info from them. I'm 30 weeks and baby measures 34. I don't have GD. I also haven't gained weight much this pregnancy ...5 lbs maybe...I did have extra weight pre pregnancy so ob was not worried about the lack of weight gain. For those whose babies measured ahead significantly, at what point do they change your due date or induce early? Just curious. At this rate, we are looking at a minimum 9.5 lb baby. Thanks.
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: BTDT moms of big babies

• I dont have any personal experience (FTM here) but I do know ultrasound estimates of weight/size are generally far from accurate, I can't even count how many times I have read on the bump that a mom was told she had a 10lb baby in there only to give birth to a 6 or 7lb baby
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • My sister just had a baby. She was always measuring ahead (not sure how many weeks ahead). He was 9.3 and 21.5 inches long. They induced her at 41 weeks, she had him vaginally. They never changed her due date or wanted to take him early due to his size.

Ultrasounds can generally be a few pounds off either way. They are really not too accurate.

• Loading the player...
  • That makes me feel better. The tech made such a big deal out of her size over and over. I just was kind of taken aback. Everything else has been so textbook with this baby. Was kind of funny though...she would only move for the tech if I talked to her.lol.
  • I would trust your OBs opinion over that of the elective US tech. Sorry, but how often are the elective techs in a delivery room to see what shakes out.

Ask your OB for his opinion of your baby's size. 

And 9.5 lbs is becoming pretty common these days, so I wouldn't worry too much.

• imageKtbug613:
    I dont have any personal experience (FTM here) but I do know ultrasound estimates of weight/size are generally far from accurate, I can't even count how many times I have read on the bump that a mom was told she had a 10lb baby in there only to give birth to a 6 or 7lb baby

This. I've heard way, way more stories of people being told that they need a c-section for a 10 lb baby only to have a 6 or 7lb infant than I have of 15 pounders!

Ezra James 08/22/2013  <3
    Nora Grace Due 12/26/2016  <3

Two Angel Babies 
    07/03/2012
    08/08/2015

"If you're still my small babe
    or you're all the way grown,
    my promise to you
    is you're never alone.
    You are my angel, my darling,
    my star...and my love will find you,
    wherever you are."
  • Yes, I would recommend that you take weight estimates with a grain of salt they kept telling me my daughter was going to be a 9 pound baby and she turned out to be only 5 pounds 15 ounces!!!
  • My first baby measured ahead and was predicted at 8.5 to 9 lbs. He was actually 7 lbs 7 oz.

I wouldn't trust the ultrasound.

ETA: I was induced at 39 weeks because of high BP so we had an ultrasound right before the induction.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have 10 lb babies  in our family. It sucks for your vagina but it's not a reason to induce or have a c section.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• My first was 10 lbs 1 oz. He measured on track at 30 weeks. As time went on I measured bigger. He surprised my OB with how big he was. I had him vaginally with a se ond degree tear My appointment on Monday Baby S was measuring 2 weeks ahead.
  • DD was always measuring fine and Dr always thought I looked small and was carrying a small baby..she shocked the Dr when she came out at 9lbs..no one knew she came from! The Dr kept apologizing for her size haha
  • They definitely won't change your due date at this point. At my dating scan my baby measured a week ahead, but they would only change it if he was 10 days ahead. Then at my a/s he was even more ahead, and recently had one because he had a soft marker for certain diseases (thankfully had gone away), but he was 4 weeks ahead. Granted ultrasounds are off but since its been a pattern I can't imagine he will be small. My OB also takes into account margin of error. I was told that we would keep an eye on his growth and reassess at 36 weeks. She wouldn't do any intervention before 39 weeks.
    image   image
  • A due date should only be changed if the baby is actually that many weeks ahead not because they are growing ahead of schedule. Dating is only accurate in early pregnancy. Size does not mean everything internally is good to go. And after my experience with induction I would never let that happen unless I was overdue and showed favourable signs. U/S weight predictions are notorious for being off, I would not let that dictate my labour and timeline. Baby will come when it is ready and trust your body that it can handle it.

A friend of mine was told that her baby was measuring over the 100th percentile and would likely be well ver 10lbs. I think it kept her up at night for the last 8-9 weeks. Baby was 8lbs 8oz and a week overdue.

Married - July 2010, DD - April 2011, #2 EDD August 10, 2013
  • I would ignore the ultrasound. Like others have said, it can go either way. Are you measuring 4 weeks ahead on your fundal height? It seems like that would be more accurate.....

• A good OB will not change your EDD...size has nothing to do with baby's maturity.   DS was 2 weeks ahead and in the 93rd percentile around 30 weeks.  He had his own plans and showed up at 6.7lbs (so MFM u/s were basically dead on) one day shy of 35 weeks, when I had an appt to discuss delivery options because they were considered about shoulder dystocia.   I'd ask your OB's opinion because 4 weeks ahead puts you off the charts.  My MFM remeasured this one about 10 times this week because she is already in the 90th percentile, but practice breathing can throw off the measurements greatly.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• imageAACaHa13:
    I would ignore the ultrasound. Like others have said, it can go either way. Are you measuring 4 weeks ahead on your fundal height? It seems like that would be more accurate.....

Uh...no.  Fundal height is just a vague estimate used to red flag potential problems.  It is far from more accurate than an u/s because it measures everything, whereas an u/s measures baby's specific body parts.

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• imageL&R70707:

imageAACaHa13:
    I would ignore the ultrasound. Like others have said, it can go either way. Are you measuring 4 weeks ahead on your fundal height? It seems like that would be more accurate.....

Uh...no.  Fundal height is just a vague estimate used to red flag potential problems.  It is far from more accurate than an u/s because it measures everything, whereas an u/s measures baby's specific body parts.

This. My doctoer kept sending me for u/s's last time due to my fundal height not measuring up to their standards... my DD was right on track and weighed 8lbs8oz at birth. I have seen others measure off the scales with fundal and give birth to a 6lb baby. Not to say we are the norm, but I wouldn't exactly say it is more accurate than an u/s.

• They won't change your due date this far into pregnancy. Baby is just growing ahead. DS was always measuring ahead and was 8lbs 11oz at 38w. I'm measuring 2 plus weeks ahead this time and they are guessing shell be 9 plus pounds. The ob isn't concerned, he said 9lbders are common now a days.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks again ladies. I'm ok with a nine pounder...lol. A little back story as to why I'm so nervous...my little brother was let to go 2 weeks over before they induced my mom. He was well over 10.5 lbs. He got stuck and was deprived oxygen. He ended up having cerebral palsy. Its a challenge to take care of him tho I love him dearly. I'm just afraid of history repeating. I definitely do not want them to necessarily change my due date, but I'm scared to go much over 40 weeks. I'm just worried about the potential complications. All your experiences have helped calm my brain. Thanks so much.
  • The perception of a big baby is actually more dangerous than a big baby. 

https://evidencebasedbirth.com/evidence-for-induction-or-c-section-for-big-baby/ 

ETA: This is also one of the many reasons why elective u/s are not recommended. U/s techs are not qualified to be making diagnoses.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageAmeliaKris:
    Thanks again ladies. I'm ok with a nine pounder...lol. A little back story as to why I'm so nervous...my little brother was let to go 2 weeks over before they induced my mom. He was well over 10.5 lbs. He got stuck and was deprived oxygen. He ended up having cerebral palsy. Its a challenge to take care of him tho I love him dearly. I'm just afraid of history repeating. I definitely do not want them to necessarily change my due date, but I'm scared to go much over 40 weeks. I'm just worried about the potential complications. All your experiences have helped calm my brain. Thanks so much.

I can see now why you would be more concerned. Speak to your OB and voice your concerns. I think knowing your options will help ease your worries. I guess most of us are scared for the babies being born early due to size. There is a lot of reasons for why it is better for baby to come naturally rather than induce or have a c/s, but you will also have to trust your OB and your instincts. Good luck!

• I wouldn't put too much thought into what they tell you. I know a girl who felt forced into an induction because the docs swore she was having a 10lb plus baby. Turns out she had a normal little girl who weighed closer to 7lbs.

The larger the baby gets the more inaccurate the readings can be I've heard. I'd discuss this with your OB but wouldn't panic.
    photo crunchy_zps41233998.gifimagephoto crunchy_zps41233998.gif
    My baby is ONE!!

• My first was 9 lbs 11 oz and 23 inches long. He never measured ahead and I actually had a growth ultrasound at 36-37 weeks that estimated his weight to be 8 lbs by my due date. I had him vaginally at 39 weeks 1 day without problems. On the other hand, a good friend of mine was talked into a scheduled early c-section for her daughter because she was estimated at 10+ lbs by her due date. She opted for the c-section and delivered a >6 lb baby. I wouldn't take too much stock in the ultrasound. Talk to your OB and listen to your body. 

• imageL&R70707:

imageAACaHa13:

Oh! I didn't even know that.

• So, for both pgs and now this one, I'm measuring ahead.  

DD was born at 38 1/2 weeks and she was 8 pounds 3 ounces and I tore, had bleeding issues (hemorrhaged), and they needed a vacuum to get her out that slipped the first time around.

DS was born at exactly 39 weeks and he was 9 pounds 7 ounces,  Had a lot of the same issues.  had a lot of trouble getting him out,  had issues closing my legs and have had pelvic issues for over 2 years afterwards.  

So, for me, yes, I have had big babies and yes, they did come out vagionally, but I have had issues each and every time.

I have a growth U/s scheduled for friday.  For the most part the MFM has been accurate in size and we will see what happens. 

• I was on the other end of the prediction.  They estimated that I would have a normal size baby--well, on the high side of normal (9lbs). I was induced at 41 weeks and had my son 37 hours later.  He was 10lbs 7 oz and 23 inches long and I had him vaginally.  Even the delivering doctor thought he might be 9-9.5 pounds.  I did have a fourth degree tear--but that could be due to any number of reasons...induction, only pushing for 20 minutes, or his large round head.  My tear did not heal properly despite following every direction so this one will be a c-section in order to preserve what is left of my pelvic floor.  Recovery wise--I didn't know any different...so I figured what I experienced was normal.  Despite my experience, I would hold off on any decisions and see what your body does. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"