May 2013 Moms

Lower pumping output

I am bfing and pumping 1 to 2 times a day to supplement as necessary. Usually, I am getting 2.5 to 3.5 oz total, but the last day and a half, I am barely getting an oz. to an oz. and a half. Any ideas as to why the drop? I would appreciate any ideas to bring it back up! TIA.
ETA: Little Man is up to 9 lbs, 3 oz from 7 lbs, 1 oz at birth as of last Wednesday's weight check at his ped's office.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Lower pumping output

• I get about 60-65 ml max when I pump so you are getting more than I am!  Not sure why the lower supply but maybe try eating oatmeal and drinking mother's milk tea
  • My best advice is to drink lots of water. I can tell when I don't get enough water in my milk supply. You are supposed to be drinking at least 8 oz per feeding or pump session to 64 if not 80 oz a day.
  • Loading the player...
  • KLJ3KLJ3 member
    Are you hand pumping or using an electric? I had a sudden drop in supply a couple days ago, and due to a pulled muscle in my back, I decided to pull the hand pump out of the cabinet [where I'd shoved it once the double electric arrived in the mail].

I was able to pump more in a shorter period of time [from one breast, anyway] than with the electric pump! Turns out, I'd been inadvertently pussyfooting with the electric pump and not turning it up high enough because of tender nipples. I have spent the time since then alternating between BFing, hand pumping, and electric pumping, and my supply has returned to normal.

Good luck!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Thank you for the ideas. I think the water thing may really apply over the past couple days. I will make more of an effort to guzzle the water and will pull out some oatmeal from the cupboard.

I am using an electric pump and do not have a manual one. I have the setting pretty high and did not have issues before. If the water and oatmeal don't help, I will ask a lactation coach if she recommends trying a manual pump.

• Do you pump right after your LO eats? Maybe your baby is just eating more, so you have less milk left than usual after nursing. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageBekW2009:
    My best advice is to drink lots of water. I can tell when I don't get enough water in my milk supply. You are supposed to be drinking at least 8 oz per feeding or pump session to 64 if not 80 oz a day.

I also agree with this. I get so much more milk when I drink more water. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is a growth spurt around three weeks so it's possible your baby is eating more and you aren't yet producing enough to keep up with pumping.  If that's the case and you keep feeding on demand and pumping as per usual you should be back to normal in a few days.

Also, this is a bit early, but I noticed with my other two that around 3 months I was no longer really able to pump anything.  I would pump 2x a day to keep a freezer stash, but around 3 months my supply evened out and even though the boys were always happy and full there was just nothing else left for pumping. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageKLJ3:
    Are you hand pumping or using an electric? I had a sudden drop in supply a couple days ago, and due to a pulled muscle in my back, I decided to pull the hand pump out of the cabinet [where I'd shoved it once the double electric arrived in the mail]. I was able to pump more in a shorter period of time [from one breast, anyway] than with the electric pump! Turns out, I'd been inadvertently pussyfooting with the electric pump and not turning it up high enough because of tender nipples. I have spent the time since then alternating between BFing, hand pumping, and electric pumping, and my supply has returned to normal. Good luck!

It took me awhile to realize I needed to turn that sucker (literally) WAY up. I actually started getting a stream rather that just a dribble. I may have to try your technique with the hand pump though, because I still don't feel like my production is where is should be at almost a month PP.

TTC#1 Oct 2010
    DS born May 2013
    TFAS Feb 2016
    EDD 07/29/2017
  • imageGradMommyToBe:
    Do you pump right after your LO eats? Maybe your baby is just eating more, so you have less milk left than usual after nursing.nbsp;

On those days, yes. I pumped this morning after guzzling water yesterday and got 3 oz. total yay but after his lunchtime feeding, barely got over 1 oz. Maybe I should try timing my pumping sessions differently if I can.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"