August 2013 Moms

I've been craving....Chalk :(

Hey Auggie Moms,

Happy Week 31! Has anyone had weird cravings as of late? I dont mean pickles and ice cream, I mean dirt, chalk, paint, etc. In the last 2 weeks, I've been craving chalk...like the sticks of white chalk used back in the day by your favorite teacher. 

Of course, I have NOT been indulging in this craving (baby's safety comes 1st!), but as most of you know, when you have a craving it makes thinking about anything else in your day to day quite difficult. I did a little internet investigating and it seems Im suffering from a common pregnancy "ailment" known as Pica. What I cant find is a way to deal with it and/or combat it in a healthy way. Although Im already taking iron supplements, I plan to tell my doctor about this weirdness at our next appointment.

Any suggestions from my Preggo Sisters on what I can do to end this and mentally put chalk back where it belongs i.e. in the classroom and not in my kitchen!

Thanks ya'll!

Re: I've been craving....Chalk :(

• I'd call your doc and makes sure its something they want to wait for the next appt on.
    image image

• this is something for your doctor to handle
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Umm definitely call your doctor and discuss this with him/her.
  • I can't remember the name for it, but this is a well-documented condition.  It usually means you are low in a certain type of nutrient.  Definitely call OB today.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagelaabeja:
    I can't remember the name for it, but this is a well-documented condition.  It usually means you are low in a certain type of nutrient.  Definitely call OB today.

Someone didn't read.

image image

• imageSoleil3:

imagelaabeja:
    I can't remember the name for it, but this is a well-documented condition.  It usually means you are low in a certain type of nutrient.  Definitely call OB today.

Someone didn't read.

hehehe 

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • imageSoleil3:

imagelaabeja:

Someone didn't read.

*thumbs up* 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageSoleil3:

imagelaabeja:

Someone didn't read.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • Would Tums help ease the craving until you can see your doctor?  They always taste like chalk to me!
  • zora51zora51 member
    PICA during pregnancy is not all THAT uncommon. It is sometimes linked (but not always!) to an iron deficiency, so have your iron levels checked when you're next at your docs. Other than that, it's really not a big deal. Don't indulge, try gum or something like that to keep your mouth busy when you get a craving. It should ease up after the pregnancy. If it doesn't, time to consult a psychologist. Good luck!
  • Definitely mention this to your doctor as PICA cravings are telling you that you are missing a nutrient your body wants and needs.

I had a good friend who craved coal during her pregnancy with twins. And she indulged more than a few times before mentioning it to her doctor and getting on top of the deficiency. 

It may be calcium you are looking for with chalk? But only your doctor can help on this one so get in touch sooner rather than later. 

TTC Since March 2010 - 2 angel babies - BFP December 12 EDD 12 Aug 13 Lilypie Maternity tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • ValydaValyda member
    You want to get some edible clay. In Africa and many other cultures pregnant women eat edible clay. Research it. It is supposed to detox the body and provide some health benefits.
  • Call the Dr. and discuss, but in the mean time, try tums. Chalk is calcium carbonate  (also in the chalk/clay some eat in Africa.) Calcium carbonate is one of the main ingredients in Tums, and those are safe to consume in pregnancy. See if that helps. It is available as a a supplement as well; but I'd ask about that first. Get some non-flavored or plain old flavored Tums (not the berry kind.) I think they kinda taste like chalk anyway. 

This is one rare instance where you can indulge an off the wall craving in a healthy and food-safe way. I can tell you from many a night of indigestion I've often thought it would be quicker to have a stick of chalk nearby....!

Best wishes! 

• imageValyda:
    You want to get some edible clay. In Africa and many other cultures pregnant women eat edible clay. Research it. It is supposed to detox the body and provide some health benefits.

Pregnant women (in africa specifically) also eat termite mounds because they believe it's good for them and their unborn baby.....  

imageimage
    Anniversary

• Thanks to those of you who posted about the tums, hadnt thought of that :) Of course I already scheduled an appt with my doctor, I just needed/wanted something to help in the mean time.

Have a happy Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"