Cloth Diapering

Too hot?

So I just started using my CD stash. My LO is a month old, and I hadn't been using them because many of them were too big and bulky on her at first (some still are!), we were in the middle of moving, and my mom was here helping and doing a lot of the diaper changes and she bought disposables for us, so I figured I'd let her use them up first.

Anyways, I've noticed that in some of them, she seems to sweat a LOT. We live in southern California and it has been really hot already (high 90s-100). The CDs we have are varied, some were given to me, some I bought, and I did a Jillian's Drawers trial.

The one yesterday she was in was a Rumparooz (https://www.kanga-care.com/Rumparooz-Cloth-Diaper-Covers--ONE-SIZE-Solid-Colors_p_129.html) - she was being fussy so we checked her diaper even though we had just changed it, and the inside was damp from her sweat- her whole bottom that was covered was sweaty too. It was damn everywhere, not concentrated and wet like it would have been if she peed.

Today, I had her in a Grovia (https://www.gro-via.com/hybrid-grovia-shell-hook-loop-closure.html shell with https://www.gro-via.com/hybridcloth-grovia-organic-cotton-soaker-pad.html insert) and when she woke up from her nap, she was soaked! She did pee and the front was obviously wet, but the rest of the insert was damp again from her sweating. I'm hoping that today it was my fault (I was cuddled up next to her back while she slept) but this has made me really nervous that the cloth diapers are too big and bulky for her to be wearing in this heat. We do try and keep the temperature in the house controlled, but this was happening regardless. I also have a few BumGenius, kissaluvs, thirsties covers, and some prefolds for other options. Right now, I have her in the kissaluvs without a cover to try and see if that helps. 

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice or thoughts? I'd appreciate it. Thanks!  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Too hot?

• imageAFwifelife:

Cloth diapers actually are much more breathable than disposables.  Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpCcUznbaI

CDs are going to feel different than spoises when wet.  The pee is going to travel through the whole insert and make you believe that it's sweat but it is actually pee. 

this.  if your LO is just a month old...she is peeing all the time.  What seems like sweat is always pee.  The cloth diapers have nice breathable fibers whereas sposies are filled with chemicals. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageMandmeesh:
    imageAFwifelife:

Cloth diapers actually are much more breathable than disposables.  Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpCcUznbaI

CDs are going to feel different than spoises when wet.  The pee is going to travel through the whole insert and make you believe that it's sweat but it is actually pee. 

this.  if your LO is just a month old...she is peeing all the time.  What seems like sweat is always pee.  The cloth diapers have nice breathable fibers whereas sposies are filled with chemicals. 

Yep. It's just pee. It's a common misconception. I thought fitteds made my lo sweat, but I soon realized it was pee. It's hard to tell because their urine is colorless and odorless, and the entire diaper becomes moist.

ETA: I live in a hot climate too with no air conditioning, so I was concerned too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageChickypoo2468:
    I don't understand why people keep thinking their babies butts sweat THAT much. If my kids rear is wet I automatically assume pee. Even my 7 year old, who hasn't peed herself since she was a toddler lol.
    This. I know it's kind of mean, but these threads always make me lol.

And I say this as the mom of a super sweaty, hot blooded baby. If it's soaking a diaper, it's not sweat, it's pee.

imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • imageChickypoo2468:
    I don't understand why people keep thinking their babies butts sweat THAT much. If my kids rear is wet I automatically assume pee. Even my 7 year old, who hasn't peed herself since she was a toddler lol.

I thought the Workhorse fitted made him sweat because one it's really thick. Well, at least it's thick compared to the prefolds I was using. Two, I live in freakin' Hawaii, where I'm always sweating and it was really hot the first week lo came home. So, yeah. My mind went to sweat. I think It's natural that a FTM new to cloth diapering would worry that babe is getting sweaty from huge fluff and pull cover. You know?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I gotta wonder if it's the time of year, with the warmer temperatures, that lead people to think it's sweat and not pee. Seems there have been more of these posts as the weather has warmed up, but I don't remember there being many like this over the winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"