January 2013 Moms

Afternoon nap?

Is anyone having difficulty with their LO fighting the latest nap? Now that DD is taking a real morning nap 2 to 2.5 hours she is fighting her latest nap. Should I try to keep her up longer after the long morning one to push the second nap later? Or what?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Afternoon nap?

• Any kind of napping seems to be a crap shoot for us during this 4th month! She used to go down for a good 3 hour nap and that was it but now I'm lucky to get an hour morning and an hour afternoon. I would honestly just go with the flow with sleep cues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Wait, your LO only has 2 naps?! I would love that! Haha. DD has four. One hour nap in the morning, one 40 min nap late morning, one 2hr early afternoon nap, and a 40 min late afternoon nap. It's working for us, but I can't wait til she's older and they continue to consolidate. Sorry, no advice, just envious!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know if it's considered a nap. But my DD usually wakes up around 6 every morning, eats then goes back to sleep with in an hour for 1 1/2 to 2hours. I don't wake her up if she sleeps longer or try to make her stay awake. I go off her sleep cues and she's pretty good about taking a few more naps that are about 45min long. Sometimes she does fight her last nap, but I've been told that's normal. I know if she doesn't take it her bedtimes off. I've also read babies this young need a few naps a day, I know if I keep her up too long she's not happy!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I swear DD turned 5 months, mastered scooting and rolling, and got her 2 bottom teeth and gave up napping.  If I'm lucky I get 4 20 min naps a day.  Most of the time it's 2-3.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We. too, get short naps; one around 11.30am, another around 1.30-2pm and then another one around 5.30pm, they don't last longer that 30-40 min

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • During the 4th month wakeful, the only way to get my LO to nap was either taking a walk or holding her. Now, she is getting better but she is only napping twice a day. It might be a bit early but I think she is going down to two naps a day.

• Yeah, this is going to be kind of hard because, as you have seen from other's responses, how many naps per day and for how long really starts to become different for every baby.  Sure there are "typical" nap schedules that some babies follow, but others don't.  I'm pretty sure right now the "typical" schedule would be hourish long naps at 9a, 12p, and 3p with a possible catnap in the late afternoon/early evening and bedtime about 7pm.  

Basically the typical baby at this point will be awake 2-3 hours between naps.  You could experiment with keeping your LO up a touch longer, but I'm honestly a big proponent of just following their sleep cues because they have a better idea of what their individual sleep needs are.  

On the other hand, fighting sleep can also mean she's been up for too long and is now overtired.  Baby sleep is such a balancing act!  

When you say 2-2.5 hrs are you saying that's how long she sleep for her first nap?  When is she sleeping, how long is she awake, and what time are you trying to get her to sleep for her next nap? 

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Ok at least I am not alone here! Right now DD is up at five or six, up for an hour and down again for 1 to 2.5 hours. Where I am going wrong is I think I am putting her down too early for nap two... Right now I am doing that about 90 minutes later but then she only puts in maybe one or two catnaps the rest if the day where she would be much better off with a longer nap later. Hmmm... Going to have to play with this... I can't believe some are at two naps already!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • AS one pp asked, yes she is getting enough sleep but out is stacked in the morning so she is overtired by evening and already has an early bedtime of six to six thirty so I am trying to see if I can get a better afternoon nap so she is not so wrecked by evening :
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Yeah, if I were you I would try to keep her up a little longer.  An extra 20 mins or so might make a big difference.  Obviously don't do anything crazy and really force her to stay awake if she's obviously really tired, but a little more entertainment to stretch out her awake time might be helpful.  Doesn't hurt to give it a try to see what happens :)
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • We are still in the short naps that go with four months, but slowly seem to be moving out of them.  First nap is about 1.5 hours after wake up, then about every two hours after wake ups all day long.
  • My DD only takes a 3 hour morning nap. It's been over 4 hours before too. For an afternoon nap she will only sleep in the car or stroller for an hour. I want to try the 2 3 4 schedule. Down for first nap 2 hours after waking. Then 3 hours after waking is 2nd nap then 4 hours after that is bedtime.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"