Adoption

What surprised you during your Home Study...

What did you not know about going into your home study? What changes did they ask you to make that maybe surprised you?

Were you told to lock up cleaning chemicals? 

Anything you found odd or different?

I'd love to hear about your experiences and what you took from it.

Thanks,
Jamie

Re: What surprised you during your Home Study...

• Ours was for DIA so I'm sure those who were planning to foster had to have more baby-proofing completed before the home visit. We obviously scrubbed and organized our apartment from top to bottom but I was surprised at how laid-back our social worker was and how little she focused on our home. There was no talk of locking up cleaning supplies/medications (though obviously that will be done by the time we bring a child home) and she didn't even care that the wall was not yet up to make the room for our nursery. I was more surprised by some of the discussion topics. There was a lot of talk about our childhoods, my parents' divorce, whether I would rather parent a child like myself or my sister, discipline, how we've dealt with infertility, etc. We knew our childhoods would be brought up at some point but we were a little surprised at how much time was spent discussing our family relationships and our own parents' parenting techniques.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We went into it pretty prepared. DH was most concerned about how invasive the HS would be, so he spent a good hour on the phone with our SW, who walked us through the process. By the time we got to it, we were good :)

No, we weren't told to lock up cleaning chemicals.

I was surprised that the safety stuff wasn't really emphasized. Our SW had never heard of a fire escape ladder, and we had 2!

It was really pretty easy. Most of the meetings we had pre-walkthrough were stuff based on our autobiography. The actual walkthrough was 45 minutes, and kind of fun.

• Loading the player...
  • How little she cared about minor house issues (I was terrified that she would not be OK with our deck, which is about 18" off the ground w no railing - she barely glanced at it).

Other than that, there were no surprises!

• How easy it was! We are doing DIA through an agency. Our SW barely looked at our house and basically just asked us questions about our childhoods. It was easy peasy.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • From what I can tell, it's really only in foster home studies that they address things like locking up medicines and the storage of dangerous substances/chemicals.

Like all the rest, I was stunned at how little of the 4-visit home study was about the house, and how much was about us, our families, our relationsp, our community and support network, how we planned to parent, etc. 

• We had a DIA home study and did need to put away all meds/chemicals. And the SW checked. : But I asked ahead of time what safety stuff needed to be done, and that helped. We also needed baby gates and screens in the nursery windows old house here, probably no big deal for other people. We also had to make sure they opened. We needed a written evacuation plan and had to have emergency numbers posted. To pass the separate fire inspection, we had a whole list of things.
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• Ours was for fostering, but I agree with previous posters. I was amazed at how easy it was. She pointed out a few things we needed to change for our fire inspection and we talked about our animals a lot (but we foster those as well and she needed all that info).

All of our chemicals are in an outside storage unit. I thought she was going to tell us we needed a lock for it, but instead she said "I'll let you be the gauge of if that's necessary depending on the kids that are in your house." So other than a locked cabinet for medicine, we really didn't have to do much. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We scrubbed every inch of the house, and she really didn't look at much. She only checked to see about smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, and the safety of our pool. After seeing everything was safe, she just wanted to get to know us and our daughter better.
    TTC #2, Operative hysteroscopy March 2011; IVF #1 long lupron protocol April 2011-cancelled due to poor response; IVF #2 flare protocol May 2011=hospitalization due to abdominal hemorrhage during ER and no fert due to MFI issues. Moving onto international adoption from Moldova January 2013!
  • Wow Ladies... Thanks for sharing.  I'm feeling like maybe I don't need to get out knee pads and scrub the house tomorrow now :)
  • My social worker prepared me for what she would be looking for.  Chemicals and meds needed to be locked up, needed to have working smoke detectors in bedrooms, needed a fire extinguisher (commercial, not those tiny little ones), emergency exit route from each room in the house posted on fridge, land line phone, dog registration and proof of shots, car insurance proof and registration, and also checked to see air condition in car worked ( I live in AZ where summers are regularly 115-120 degrees), temp of hot water heater must be regulated to avoid scalds, they also checked temp of fridge, and alcohol had to be locked up too. I thought it was very thorough, but I was well prepared for it all since my SW gave me a check list. Surprisingly they didn't care how clean my house was, just that there were no hazards and all.
  • I haven't had my home study yet, but during our IA course it was talked about and they said that the cleanliness of the house was the least of their concerns.  They even said that if the house was not super clean, it actually might look better for you because it means you can handle the mess of a child!  Obviously not like unhealthily messy, but just normal clutter and living mess.  I have no idea about the safety stuff, but they did also mention that the reason for the home study is to see you in person and talk to you in person about your life and reasons for adopting, child rearing plans, etc, etc... and if you have other kids they talk to your kids too.  So what I took from that was that it was more to see you in your home on your turf rather then go over your house with a fine tooth comb. 

This was for international adoption via my province though.  It would be different province to province and state to state I would assume, as well as type of adoption.

Daughter #1 - February 12, 2010 

natural m/c March 11, 2011 at 8 1/2 weeks 

Daughter #2 - January 11, 2012 

Ectopic pregnancy discovered November 6, 2012 at 6 weeks

Daughter #3 - January 19, 2014

Started our exploration into the world of international adoption June 2012.  We have no idea what this is going to look like but we are excited to find out!

image              image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"