Natural Birth

New law re: cordblood

I know a lot of people around here feel strongly about not clamping/cutting the cord until it has stopped pulsing. WDYT about this new Mississippi law that requires OBs and MWs to remove some (not sure how much) cordblood to use in paternity testing in mothers 16 or younger.

Catching statutory rapists sounds like a good idea. Why not just use a mouth swab from the baby? Seems easier.

https://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/06/03/188423215/miss-turns-to-cord-blood-to-track-down-statutory-rapists?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130604

Re: New law re: cordblood

• That is interesting.  I agree with you, if it is to prevent abuse and extreme statutory rape, it is a good idea.  However, I think a 20 year old and a 16 year old are close enough in age and maturity that I would not consider that to be rape if sex was consensual.  I also wonder if this will really produce any results. If they are looking for matches in the state's DNA database they  wont always get a match. Maybe this law it will prevent some abuse/incest.
  • i 100 disagree with this. it completely infringes upon the mothers rights. she should have the choice. from my own experience as a teen mom, not as young but still teen, it was better for everyone that los biodad was not on record. they could be exposing this child to a horrible life if they force this on her. not to say that women should keep fathers from their children but visitation and child support shouldn't be forced on mothers because its not always what's best no matter what anyone else says. and as pps said there are also easier ways to do this. but it needs yo be up to the mother for.many other reasons as well and at this age maybe her family as well.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMinipenguin:

Catching statutory rapists sounds like a good idea. Why not just use a mouth swab from the baby? Seems easier. 

Because that would be a "procedure', which gives the mom the right to decline it. If they use the placenta, they're using medical waste, which the mom can't stop them from doing.  

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemeltoine:
    imageMinipenguin:

Because that would be a "procedure', which gives the mom the right to decline it. If they use the placenta, they're using medical waste, which the mom can't stop them from doing.  

Aren't you entitled to keep your placenta, though? My MW asked me if I wanted mine (I didn't) but I know people who did placental encapsulation.

• JJ_13JJ_13 member
    imageMinipenguin:
    imagemeltoine:
    imageMinipenguin:

Aren't you entitled to keep your placenta, though? My MW asked me if I wanted mine (I didn't) but I know people who did placental encapsulation.

I believe this is dependent on state law. I encapsulated mine but in some states I have heard women are not allowed to retain them (which I think is complete bs).

• Sounds like a complete waste of time and money. Would be nice to see them focus their efforts on more pressing issues. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Yes, you are entitled to keep your placenta. But how many 15 year-olds are really doing that? Barely any adult women do it. Teenagers are likely even more squicky about encapsulation/smoothies/art/fertilizer/etc...
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageaylafsu88:
    That is interesting.  I agree with you, if it is to prevent abuse and extreme statutory rape, it is a good idea.  However, I think a 20 year old and a 16 year old are close enough in age and maturity that I would not consider that to be rape if sex was consensual.  I also wonder if this will really produce any results. If they are looking for matches in the state's DNA database they  wont always get a match. Maybe this law it will prevent some abuse/incest.

The Supreme Court JUST ruled that if someone is arrested for a felony, they can take a DNA sample without a warrant.  Those arguing in favor expressed that the reason was exactly related to this - so they can run the DNA through the database to see if there are any matches for rape or abuse cases.  From what I understood, it's become such a huge problem that so many people are not caught in these cases - it sounds like this new rule OP brings up is attempting also to reduce those numbers. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"