June 2013 Moms

Jaundice

Bah! I thought we might escape it this time but history is repeating. I don't recall any other mamas mentioning this with their babies but if you're out there, please share your experience. I'm just so surprised that this happened again, even after he was feeding so well.

Wyatt's levels are around 9.4 when they should be under 7 and he had uric acid crystals which caused some blood in his urine. Poor buddy. I was letting them do phototherapy in our room until I started losing control of my emotions when he would cry and I couldn't hold him so he's off to the nursery. My nurse is awesome and they're going to syringe feed him whatever I can pump (which is some great colostrum right now) and they will only give tiny syringe-fed amounts of formula, if needed, to supplement. Hopefully they will let us go home tomorrow evening as we don't really have the luxury of H missing more work. He absolutely has to return Friday. Anyway, just PWing it up since I have insomnia right now.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Jaundice

• Sophie had jaundice and it was basically the same experience as you. Her number was a 10 and she needed one 12 hour stint under the lights and we were done. His number is on the lie side so in sure you'll be out of there tomorrow fingers crossed!!
    Mama to Sophie Virginia
    born 5/4/13 at 35 weeks 4 days

• My baby A had jaundice and the number that got him on the billi bed was 12.1. He was on the billi bed from Saturday morning until Monday morning when they took him off as a test to see what his numbers would do. After being off of the bed for 6 hours his numbers only went up to 12.3 so they let us come home. Otherwise he would have had to stay behind in the NICU. We did have to go to the pediatrician the next day to have his levels rechecked and it had gone up to 15.1. The doctor wasn't concerned because of his age he was now at the low to medium risk, he was 5 days old at that point. We had noticed that baby A still had the meconium in his poop where baby B had breast milk poop. He said it was a sign that the billi was still leaving his system. It took about another 5 days to clear up, but he is all good now.
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • B had moderate newborn AND breast milk jaundice so we spent over a month going in for heel sticks bc it was never bad enough to need anything but monitoring. I'm glad it wasn't too bad but omg it was still miserable.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • https://bilitool.org/?page_id=53

My bf support group's leader's sister is a pedi and recommended using this to help understand what the doctors were looking at.
  • Oh tab I'm sorry, hope y'all get to head home soon!!
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Colton got jaundice and we actually ended up admitted overnight on Monday. My milk hasn't come in so he wasn't eating enough and therefore couldn't poop or pee it out. His levels were a 23 when we checked in but after being under the lights and my milk finally came in; we had him down to 16 by morning and we got to go home. We make it a point to sit by a window with him now just to help get rid of the last bit of bilirubin. It sucks sweetie, I know. I freaked out and bawled in the hospital but they reassured me it is SO common. Hang in there sweetie.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Ophelia had Jaundice too and we were in hospital 2 extra days while she was under the lights. She was in my room the whole time and she didn't seem to mind it.I think she liked how warm it was in the incubator cause she would get all quiet and wiggle her toes. I found it hard at first but the nurses would take her out every 2 hours for a change and a feed. I didn't realize how yellow she actually was until after her levels came down.

Big Hugs! You;ll be on your way home soon!

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • LiLi23LiLi23 member
    I don't have any experience, but I do want to say I'm sorry you're dealing with this :(  I can't imagine how tough it's got to be not being able to hold your little man when he's crying.  I get worked up with M crying and she's nearly 2!  Hang in there, mama.  I hope you were able to get some sleep!

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• imagesmpeachey:
    Shoot sorry Mama. E had it he spent 5 days on the blanket. The first night he was on the giraffe light too. I had to send him to the nursery the fist night too. I could see his hands and feet moving constantly and he wouldn't settle down since he wasn't swaddled and every little squeak he made kept from relaxing! It was heartbreaking. We had awesome nurses though who kept him the first night. Once he was able to be just in the blanket he could be swaddled or I could have him on my chest with the blanket over us and it was much better for all of us. I don't remember his numbers but I know that the older he got the higher the number could be. I wish we would have asked sooner about renting a blanket and taking him home and just bringing him in every morning to get a blood draw, by the time we became aware that was option it was Sunday and the only pharmacy in town that had one to rent was closed. The big thing with E was that he still had meconium after 4 days. They wanted to see a good bf poo before they felt like he was getting better. Once we brought him home we parked him in the window for an hour plus and by day two of that he looked pink instead if yellow and his eyes cleared up. Hopefully your little guy gets over it quickly, since he is term. To me the worst part was like you said you need them to get better so you want them on the lights as much as possible which means less cuddle time with your little man. Keep us posted!

I'm sorry y'all went through this too. The nurses have really been amazing about coming to retrieve my milk to feed him and then they will bring him for an actual feeding very soon.

I wish we could do the blanket and go home, but the doctor really wants it mostly resolved before letting us go. I just want to cuddle him but it was the sweetest thing walking past the nursery window last night and seeing the nurses stand there and talk to him and make him all comfortable while he gets better  

• imageBallet513:
    Sophie had jaundice and it was basically the same experience as you. Her number was a 10 and she needed one 12 hour stint under the lights and we were done. His number is on the lie side so in sure you'll be out of there tomorrow fingers crossed!!

Poor Sophie. Thankfully, the more hours old they are, the higher the number can be. They are going to recheck him this morning and again at his 48 hour point so we're hoping it will look good. 

• imagepinkmickey24:
    My baby A had jaundice and the number that got him on the billi bed was 12.1. He was on the billi bed from Saturday morning until Monday morning when they took him off as a test to see what his numbers would do. After being off of the bed for 6 hours his numbers only went up to 12.3 so they let us come home. Otherwise he would have had to stay behind in the NICU. We did have to go to the pediatrician the next day to have his levels rechecked and it had gone up to 15.1. The doctor wasn't concerned because of his age he was now at the low to medium risk, he was 5 days old at that point. We had noticed that baby A still had the meconium in his poop where baby B had breast milk poop. He said it was a sign that the billi was still leaving his system. It took about another 5 days to clear up, but he is all good now.

How interesting that only one twin dealt with it! Just curious, are they different blood types? I'm glad he is all better.

Wyatt has pooped like 4 times since birth so I'm happy that could be a sign that he is clearing out the bilirubin  

• imageemolm:
    B had moderate newborn AND breast milk jaundice so we spent over a month going in for heel sticks bc it was never bad enough to need anything but monitoring. I'm glad it wasn't too bad but omg it was still miserable.

Are you RH neg? I was just doing some research about jaundice and it said the blood incompatibility can often be a cause. I'll have to look up breast milk jaundice because I haven't really heard that before. Oh, and thanks for that link. Very helpful.

I can't believe you and baby had to endure a month of heel sticks. So sad!

• kgb-13kgb-13 member
    Sorry you're dealing with this, hopefully Wyatt will be up and at 'em soon enough and you guys can go home!  Glad you are happy with the nurses too Smile
  • imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    Colton got jaundice and we actually ended up admitted overnight on Monday. My milk hasn't come in so he wasn't eating enough and therefore couldn't poop or pee it out. His levels were a 23 when we checked in but after being under the lights and my milk finally came in; we had him down to 16 by morning and we got to go home. We make it a point to sit by a window with him now just to help get rid of the last bit of bilirubin. It sucks sweetie, I know. I freaked out and bawled in the hospital but they reassured me it is SO common. Hang in there sweetie.

Aww I'm sorry Colton had to be admitted. I assume y'all had already been home? I'm so glad he's all better. 

We went through ALL of this with Lucy too and it's so stressful not being able to get MY body to cooperate and produce more milk to flush it out of their system. I started noticing his yellow tint yesterday and tried to keep the blinds open in our hospital room but it wasn't enough I guess. I just hope today will be enough because my insurance boots me outta here at 8 so I'd have to get a hotel tonight and H will have to head home to be at work tomorrow. 

• imagerosewatermegs:

Ophelia had Jaundice too and we were in hospital 2 extra days while she was under the lights. She was in my room the whole time and she didn't seem to mind it.I think she liked how warm it was in the incubator cause she would get all quiet and wiggle her toes. I found it hard at first but the nurses would take her out every 2 hours for a change and a feed. I didn't realize how yellow she actually was until after her levels came down.

Big Hugs! You;ll be on your way home soon!

Haha, I wish Wyatt loved it! He absolutely hates it and was getting so mad that his fists were shaking (out of protest, I think. lol). He really prefers to be swaddled unless he's snuggling with me or Tyler. 

• imageihearttab:

imageemolm:
    B had moderate newborn AND breast milk jaundice so we spent over a month going in for heel sticks bc it was never bad enough to need anything but monitoring. I'm glad it wasn't too bad but omg it was still miserable.

Are you RH neg? I was just doing some research about jaundice and it said the blood incompatibility can often be a cause. I'll have to look up breast milk jaundice because I haven't really heard that before. Oh, and thanks for that link. Very helpful.

I can't believe you and baby had to endure a month of heel sticks. So sad!

No but my husband and I are both O pos and that apparently increases the chance of jaundice. I'm decently pale and my husband is white as a ghost so B didn't have a very good chance of them not noticing how yellow he was. He ended up so yellow that he looked orange but I don't think he ever went over 21 which wasn't bad bc of his age. It effing blew and I really don't want a repeat of that with this baby but it may be inevitable.
  • imageihearttab:

imageBacon+lettuce+tomato:
    Colton got jaundice and we actually ended up admitted overnight on Monday. My milk hasn't come in so he wasn't eating enough and therefore couldn't poop or pee it out. His levels were a 23 when we checked in but after being under the lights and my milk finally came in; we had him down to 16 by morning and we got to go home. We make it a point to sit by a window with him now just to help get rid of the last bit of bilirubin. It sucks sweetie, I know. I freaked out and bawled in the hospital but they reassured me it is SO common. Hang in there sweetie.

Aww I'm sorry Colton had to be admitted. I assume y'all had already been home? I'm so glad he's all better. 

We went through ALL of this with Lucy too and it's so stressful not being able to get MY body to cooperate and produce more milk to flush it out of their system. I started noticing his yellow tint yesterday and tried to keep the blinds open in our hospital room but it wasn't enough I guess. I just hope today will be enough because my insurance boots me outta here at 8 so I'd have to get a hotel tonight and H will have to head home to be at work tomorrow. 

Yeah we had been home 3 days and got readmitted after his pedi check up. It is frustrating, I had been trying so hard to nurse and EBF but my milk took forever. Hang in there sweetie.

CJ 05/29/2013

• We also had to do this with Ashlynn. She has to lay on the uv bed for 24 hours. Only time we could hold her was for the feelings we did every 3 hours. It was excruciating to have to hear her cry and could only stroke her cheek. You will all get through it and will be thing of the past!
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 

• I'm so sorry you and all the other ladies have to go through this :( it sounds emotionally excruciating.
  • Charlotte was slightly jaundice but they allowed us to go home and I was told to supplement until my milk came in which thank goodness was just one feeding. Like the other Mamas I keep her near a window and even short walks up the block to get sun. By her next check up things had fixed themselves. My milk coming in a flushing it out I think is what saved us from the lights/ blanket.

hang in there! And kudos to your nurses they sound great!  

Charlotte Elise
      5/27/2013

• Josh had jaundice. It's so common and it's okay to let them take him so he can get fixed up and be on his way!!

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• imageIrishCoffee7:

I'm so glad the nurses are being awesome and working with you on feeding etc.  You'll be through this in no time, I know it's hard.  We never quite got to the point of DS having to go under the lights...I had a short hospital stay so by the time his levels were elevated they told us to just get him near a window and come back 24 hours later.  I spent a lot of time near that open window with my naked little boy (diapered of couse) BFing as much as he would take and worrying. 

((hugs))

I still think you're both adorable by the way.  I think your pic on the ball during labor was so damn cute even though you didn't look like you were having fun.  So you have that going for you :).

We just got his labs back and his levels have dropped enough that we can go home today! I'll be keeping him close to the windows at home so we don't have an issue again.

And thank you. You're way too sweet. Smile 

• imageflerlgirl:
    Josh had jaundice. It's so common and it's okay to let them take him so he can get fixed up and be on his way!!

Thank you dear. You're absolutely right. I needed the break anyway since I hadn't slept in so long and it got him better quickly.  

• Aw - jaundice is frustrating. DS never really cried under the bili lights, but I had no idea what to do because they told me to only take him out when absolutely necessary. It was rough. I don't remember how long - I'd have to go dig out my hospital notebook.

Hopefully it will improve so you can go home! And I hope you can get some rest!

• Poor kid and poor mommy. I hope the jaundice clears up quickly.

• imageihearttab:
    imageIrishCoffee7:

I'm so glad the nurses are being awesome and working with you on feeding etc.  You'll be through this in no time, I know it's hard.  We never quite got to the point of DS having to go under the lights...I had a short hospital stay so by the time his levels were elevated they told us to just get him near a window and come back 24 hours later.  I spent a lot of time near that open window with my naked little boy (diapered of couse) BFing as much as he would take and worrying. 

((hugs))

I still think you're both adorable by the way.  I think your pic on the ball during labor was so damn cute even though you didn't look like you were having fun.  So you have that going for you :).

We just got his labs back and his levels have dropped enough that we can go home today! I'll be keeping him close to the windows at home so we don't have an issue again.

And thank you. You're way too sweet. Smile 

Great update!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"