March 2013 Moms

UO Thursday

Technically, it's now Thursday. Lets breathe some life back into this

Edit..the original was more of a fffc. To clarify my actual uo is that I believe alcohol is far worse than marijuana and if you believe otherwise I will prob assume that you're not very educated on the matter.

Re: UO Thursday

• Agreed.

My UO is I can not stand when I hear people complaining that they do not have time to cook, clean, eat lunch, work out, etc...what do you do all day then?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Breastfeeding really isn't that big of a deal. There are just as many studies proving that the benefits are next to none as there are claiming that breast milk is some sort of miracle drug for babies. It drives me absolutely insane that everyone assumes you should breastfeed. Formula is just fine!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Loading the player...
  • Kota26Kota26 member
    My UO is that new boyfriends or girlfriends should not be invited as wedding guests after the reservation cards have been replied to. My cousin was allowed to invite 120 people for her upcoming wedding this month. Our Aunt just started dating a guy last week and is bringing him to the wedding or will not go at all. That is not fair that people my cousin loves cannot attend the wedding, but my Aunt's flavor of the week can. Such selfish behavior from a grown woman!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagevmihelci:
    Breastfeeding really isn't that big of a deal. There are just as many studies proving that the benefits are next to none as there are claiming that breast milk is some sort of miracle drug for babies. It drives me absolutely insane that everyone assumes you should breastfeed. Formula is just fine!

Totally agree and I mostly BF.  I'm grateful to be able to supplement with formula.  I think whatever works best for mom and baby is the right choice.  Its a topic people are super judgy about, but as long as the kid is eating I think its all good. 

• imagevmihelci:
    Breastfeeding really isn't that big of a deal. There are just as many studies proving that the benefits are next to none as there are claiming that breast milk is some sort of miracle drug for babies. It drives me absolutely insane that everyone assumes you should breastfeed.
    Formula is just fine!

Agreed. And I bf too. There's alot of pressure on moms to bf and there doesn't need to be.

My UO is that if you bf in public, please cover up. Yes, bfing should be more normalized, but i don't want to see your t!t, sorry.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker image
  • imagevmihelci:
    My UO is that if you bf in public, please cover up. Yes, bfing should be more normalized, but i don't want to see your t!t, sorry.

Agreed. I BF and there have been tight situations where I've needed to in public, but its no big deal to toss a blanket over your shoulder!

My UO is that if I see one more post about sunSCREEN vs sunBLOCK, I'm gonna puke.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagevmihelci:
    Breastfeeding really isn't that big of a deal. There are just as many studies proving that the benefits are next to none as there are claiming that breast milk is some sort of miracle drug for babies. It drives me absolutely insane that everyone assumes you should breastfeed. Formula is just fine!

Totally agree. I think the biggest advantage is that BM is free. That's it!

There's this mom that claims formula is what caused her daugther to start getting eat infections [she switched when she was about 7 months] and I want to tell her that its funny because my strictly formula fed 20 month old has never had one ear infection in his whole life.

People are made to feel so guilty when there is zero point in doing so. Do what you want to do, whatever it is!

ETA: fixed wrong word

• Mine is, I'm not a baby baby person. Don't get me wrong, I love DS2 to death and his gummy grin can instantly make a bad day better!

But after DS1 started getting more fun, and then started walking I knew I just wasn't a big baby person because I love love love the toddler age!

• imageegb+jaf:
    Technically, it's now Thursday. Lets breathe some life back into this Edit..the original was more of a fffc. To clarify my actual uo is that I believe alcohol is far worse than marijuana and if you believe otherwise I will prob assume that you're not very educated on the matter.

agreed!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemilkergirl1:

imageegb+jaf:
    Technically, it's now Thursday. Lets breathe some life back into this Edit..the original was more of a fffc. To clarify my actual uo is that I believe alcohol is far worse than marijuana and if you believe otherwise I will prob assume that you're not very educated on the matter.

When you have a brother that dies from marijuana use, you believe otherwise and do not appreciate being called uneducated on the matter because I have done my research.

how does one die from marijuana use? i'm assuming it's not as straight forward as he was simply smoking it, but rather used it as a "gateway drug" or got caught up in the wrong crowd.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think alcohol in its form is more dangerous but at the same time, marijuana could be just as dangerous. Weong crowd, wrong decisions, getting arrested.. basically it could ruin ones life regardless of if its an actual addiction or not.

I have a family that has several alcoholics and have seen the dangers but I have also seen someone who handles their alcohol just fine but has a serious problem with marijuana. That's not uneducated, it's facts. I think that's a close minded blanket statement that just doesn't work. They might be different dangers, but in the wrong hands they could both be extremely dangerous.

• imageMrs MoJoRisin:

My UO is I can not stand when I hear people complaining that they do not have time to cook, clean, eat lunch, work out, etc...what do you do all day then?

Completely agree. You have time for what you make time for.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imagevmihelci:

My UO is that I think this statement is insane.  I don't disagree that formula fed babies will turn out just fine (I'm one!), and I agree that there is way too much judgement around the topic.  However, you can't possibly say that the benefits of breastfeeding are next to none.  Obviously, if your body naturally makes food specifically for your child to survive, it's going to be better than something artificial.    

And I think assuming you should breastfeed is a good thing...I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, and don't think anyone should be made to feel inferior if that is the case, but I don't think there's any reason not to try.

• imagemilkergirl1:

imageegb+jaf:

Edit..the original was more of a fffc. To clarify my actual uo is that I believe alcohol is far worse than marijuana and if you believe otherwise I will prob assume that you're not very educated on the matter.

When you have a brother that dies from marijuana use, you believe otherwise and do not appreciate being called uneducated on the matter because I have done my research.

I'm sorry you lost your brother but I'd be willing to bet the single act of smoking pot did not cause his death. Maybe he used it as a gateway to something else or fell into the wrong crowd. Once again though, sorry for your loss.

And just because one person handles their alcohol well doesn't change the statistics of all the harmful things and incidents that happen as a direct result of alcohol.

I would argue that unlaced regular run of the mill pot has made people lazy hungry and sleepy at the most. Doesn't sound too dangerous to me.
  • imagelkm2006:
    I think alcohol in its form is more dangerous but at the same time, marijuana could be just as dangerous. Weong crowd, wrong decisions, getting arrested.. basically it could ruin ones life regardless of if its an actual addiction or not.

I have a family that has several alcoholics and have seen the dangers but I have also seen someone who handles their alcohol just fine but has a serious problem with marijuana. That's not uneducated, it's facts. I think that's a close minded blanket statement that just doesn't work. They might be different dangers, but in the wrong hands they could both be extremely dangerous.

I absolutely agree with all of this. There will always be people that will make bad decisions while under the influence of any mind altering substance but I would also say that if pot can lea you to make bad decisions you wouldn't be immune to alcohol ad then it becomes in issue with an individual and not the substance.
  • imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

My UO is that I think this statement is insane.  I don't disagree that formula fed babies will turn out just fine (I'm one!), and I agree that there is way too much judgement around the topic.  However, you can't possibly say that the benefits of breastfeeding are next to none.  Obviously, if your body naturally makes food specifically for your child to survive, it's going to be better than something artificial.    

And I think assuming you should breastfeed is a good thing...I understand that it doesn't work for everyone, and don't think anyone should be made to feel inferior if that is the case, but I don't think there's any reason not to try.

I don't think anyone is denying BM is better. Like you said, if your body produces something naturally it's obviously going to be better than anything else. The thing is, it the difference really noticeable or worth it if you can't or don't enjoy BFing? In 4 years, you could line up all of our babies and you won't be able to pick out which ones were fed formula or BM.

I absolutely agree that I think you should try because you may love it and not expect to but I think so many woman have this image of having some sick and unhealthy child if they use formula and that's just simply untrue. Not saying that's what you are saying! I get what you said, I was just clearing up what we were saying about comparing formula and BM [at least what I think most of us were coming from].

• imagemilkergirl1:
    imageSmoothieQueen:
    imagemilkergirl1:

imageegb+jaf:

how does one die from marijuana use? i'm assuming it's not as straight forward as he was simply smoking it, but rather used it as a "gateway drug" or got caught up in the wrong crowd.

Nope, not a gateway drug and not in the wrong crowd. He started smoking pot on a regular basis and committed suicide while high. No other attempts, no other issues, just thought Russian roulette seemed like a good idea while high on marijuana. 

I don't disagree that alcohol doesn't have it's problems, but when will we start seeing cancer from the carcinogens in marijuana?  Or not only having drunks on the road, but also impaired from marijuana because it's becoming legal?

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind here and I'm in the minority with my opinion, but it drives me nuts when people say I'm uneducated because I don't believe marijuana is harmless. 

Just to clarify I didn't say you were uneducated, I said that as part of my unpopular opinion that I would likely assume that someone who felt otherwise was uneducated and that is only because the vast majority of people aren't educated. There is not one single reported case of someone having cancer directly caused by marijuana, all reported cases involve people who either also smoke cigarettes or have long term exposure to environmental carcinogens.

I in no way want to disrespect the memory of your brother and coincidently I also knew someone who passed playing russian roulette but I have to point out that without other similar reported incidences it would be difficult to link the death directly to marijuana. Take for example having impaired depth perception while drunk. If it has only happened to one person there is not much of a case to say it was linked to alcohol but when it becomes a common incidence, then we can agree that it is indeed linked to alcohol. Without similar tragic incidents happening in correlation with marijuana use its hard to say that was the direct cause.

Disclaimer..I don't wish anything like that on anyone but I think as big of a smear campaign the u.s. has had on marijuana use I truly believe if these things were tied to pot smoking it would be advertised everywhere. Just my opinion.
  • imagemilkergirl1:
    imageSmoothieQueen:
    imagemilkergirl1:

imageegb+jaf:

Nope, not a gateway drug and not in the wrong crowd. He started smoking pot on a regular basis and committed suicide while high. No other attempts, no other issues, just thought Russian roulette seemed like a good idea while high on marijuana. 

I don't disagree that alcohol doesn't have it's problems, but when will we start seeing cancer from the carcinogens in marijuana?  Or not only having drunks on the road, but also impaired from marijuana because it's becoming legal?

I know I'm not going to change anyone's mind here and I'm in the minority with my opinion, but it drives me nuts when people say I'm uneducated because I don't believe marijuana is harmless. 

Just to clarify I didn't say you were uneducated, I said that as part of my unpopular opinion that I would likely assume that someone who felt otherwise was uneducated and that is only because the vast majority of people aren't educated. There is not one single reported case of someone having cancer directly caused by marijuana, all reported cases involve people who either also smoke cigarettes or have long term exposure to environmental carcinogens.

I in no way want to disrespect the memory of your brother and coincidently I also knew someone who passed playing russian roulette but I have to point out that without other similar reported incidences it would be difficult to link the death directly to marijuana. Take for example having impaired depth perception while drunk. If it has only happened to one person there is not much of a case to say it was linked to alcohol but when it becomes a common incidence, then we can agree that it is indeed linked to alcohol. Without similar tragic incidents happening in correlation with marijuana use its hard to say that was the direct cause.

Disclaimer..I don't wish anything like that on anyone but I think as big of a smear campaign the u.s. has had on marijuana use I truly believe if these things were tied to pot smoking it would be advertised everywhere. Just my opinion.
  • I don't know why that posted twice, sorry ladies!
  • imagelkm2006:
    imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

I don't think anyone is denying BM is better. Like you said, if your body produces something naturally it's obviously going to be better than anything else. The thing is, it the difference really noticeable or worth it if you can't or don't enjoy BFing? In 4 years, you could line up all of our babies and you won't be able to pick out which ones were fed formula or BM. I absolutely agree that I think you should try because you may love it and not expect to but I think so many woman have this image of having some sick and unhealthy child if they use formula and that's just simply untrue. Not saying that's what you are saying! I get what you said, I was just clearing up what we were saying about comparing formula and BM [at least what I think most of us were coming from].

I couldn't have said it any better, lkm! What gets me are the overzealous breastfeeding advocates who believe that a woman is an inferior mother for not breastfeeding her baby. In one case, you have Mrs. Tom Brady stating there should be a worldwide law requiring all mothers to breastfeed for at least six months. In another, there are actually women who think a prescription should be required to buy formula. In others, some will outright say that a woman who chooses not to breastfeed does not want the best for their baby and therefore are inferior parents. It makes me so sad to see so much judgment about a relatively minor (and unharmful) parenting choice.

• imageRibbitGrl930:
    imagelkm2006:
    imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

I don't think anyone is denying BM is better. Like you said, if your body produces something naturally it's obviously going to be better than anything else. The thing is, it the difference really noticeable or worth it if you can't or don't enjoy BFing? In 4 years, you could line up all of our babies and you won't be able to pick out which ones were fed formula or BM. I absolutely agree that I think you should try because you may love it and not expect to but I think so many woman have this image of having some sick and unhealthy child if they use formula and that's just simply untrue. Not saying that's what you are saying! I get what you said, I was just clearing up what we were saying about comparing formula and BM [at least what I think most of us were coming from].

I couldn't have said it any better, lkm! What gets me are the overzealous breastfeeding advocates who believe that a woman is an inferior mother for not breastfeeding her baby. In one case, you have Mrs. Tom Brady stating there should be a worldwide law requiring all mothers to breastfeed for at least six months. In another, there are actually women who think a prescription should be required to buy formula. In others, some will outright say that a woman who chooses not to breastfeed does not want the best for their baby and therefore are inferior parents. It makes me so sad to see so much judgment about a relatively minor (and unharmful) parenting choice.

The OP says there are studies showing the benefits of BF are next to none. That's what i was responding to. I would love to see those studies. :)

I am certainly not saying anyone who doesn't is inferior, by any means, and i'm not a crazy advocate either. But i do think you are naive if you think there are not major benefits to BFing and i would argue that you actually may be able to tell a difference in BF vs FF kids down the line. Not just by looking at them of course. But i definitely think the difference is noticeable and absolutely worth it. It may not be easy or enjoyable all the time, but since when is any part of parenting always easy and enjoyable?

• Lets move on from the FF/BF debate.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Lets move on from the FF/BF debate.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrs MoJoRisin:

Lets move on from the FF/BF debate.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • WTF bump? sorry for the double post, the computer sneezed, or something.  my UO is that the best Simpsons episode ever made is "Fear of Flying," and anything past season 9 is crappy.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagemilkergirl1:
    imageSmoothieQueen:
    imagemilkergirl1:

imageegb+jaf:

sorry for your loss, i can see why you have the opinion that you do. and that's the thing about opinions, is that they're based on our personal experiences, an dunfortunately you had to go through something horrible tragic.  again, sorry.

just a side note though, marijuana doesn't have to be smoked to feel the effects, and if it ever becomes legal, it's hard to speculate on how dui's/traffic violations/criminal behavior will be affected. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think what vmihelci was trying to get at is that there have been lots of studies over many years that have had skewed results based on the fad if the time.

In the era of formula there were plenty of studies that said formula was in some way better. We are back in the breast is best mindset and current studies correlate with that.

I'm mobile so I can't make a link clicky but google babble the breastfeeding myth and there's a great article to offer food for thought.
  • imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

perfect!!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imageMrsG071809:
    imageRibbitGrl930:
    imagelkm2006:
    imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

The OP says there are studies showing the benefits of BF are next to none. That's what i was responding to. I would love to see those studies. :)

I am certainly not saying anyone who doesn't is inferior, by any means, and i'm not a crazy advocate either. But i do think you are naive if you think there are not major benefits to BFing and i would argue that you actually may be able to tell a difference in BF vs FF kids down the line. Not just by looking at them of course. But i definitely think the difference is noticeable and absolutely worth it. It may not be easy or enjoyable all the time, but since when is any part of parenting always easy and enjoyable?

This (clicky) article cites studies that show inconsistent findings for BF vs FF.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageegb+jaf:
    I think what vmihelci was trying to get at is that there have been lots of studies over many years that have had skewed results based on the fad if the time. In the era of formula there were plenty of studies that said formula was in some way better. We are back in the breast is best mindset and current studies correlate with that. I'm mobile so I can't make a link clicky but google babble the breastfeeding myth and there's a great article to offer food for thought.

That is a very interesting article, thank you for suggesting it!  I completely agree with her stance that we shouldn't bash FF moms, and we should make it easier for BF moms, all at the same time.

• imageJmeJme:

This (clicky) article cites studies that show inconsistent findings for BF vs FF.

Also a very interesting read.  Not exactly a study proving that there are no benefits to BF ;)  But yes, there will always be flaws found in research, and there is no perfect way to study this, which that article does point out.

•  My UO is that I think this statement is insane.  I don't disagree that formula fed babies will turn out just fine (I'm one!), and I agree that there is way too much judgement around the topic.  However, you can't possibly say that the benefits of breastfeeding are next to none.  Obviously, if your body naturally makes food specifically for your child to survive, it's going to be better than something artificial.    

This.  FWIW, the judgement goes both ways.  I EBF and my LO won't even drink pumped milk out of a bottle.  I have many friends and family who think I'm just trying to martyr myself for the sake of EBF and would love for me to give LO formula or at least push her to take the bottle so I can resume a more "normal" life.  They are constantly annoyed with me when I can't do something or need to leave because I have to feed the baby.  I'm so sick of defending the fact that I do it because I want to, not because I feel pressured to.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure this is the first time, in the year that we've been here, that there's been any real debates on this board. Bravo, ladies, haha.

BabyFruit Ticker

• imageJmeJme:
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time, in the year that we've been here, that there's been any real debates on this board. Bravo, ladies, haha.

Haha! I agree! But it's really nice to have an actual debate and still be respectful to each other and our choices. Debates are good but personal attacks are when it gets nasty.

• imageJmeJme:
    I'm pretty sure this is the first time, in the year that we've been here, that there's been any real debates on this board. Bravo, ladies, haha.

I know right! I'm gonna post fffc tomorrow if no one else does. It's a nice change to have some movement on this board.
  • imageSmoothieQueen:
    WTF bump? sorry for the double post, the computer sneezed, or something.nbsp; my UO is that the best Simpsons episode ever made is "Fear of Flying," and anything past season 9 is crappy.

Haha this is an awesome uo! I would also like to add a tv related uo

I don't watch the office, dr who, true blood or any if those andi don't quite get the appeal. I however am in love with the very underrated and somehow semi unknown show check it out with steve brule. And I am in love with the squidbillies. I hope that isn't very unpopular because the sh!t is hilarious
  • imagelkm2006:
    imageJmeJme:
    Haha! I agree! But it's really nice to have an actual debate and still be respectful to each other and our choices. Debates are good but personal attacks are when it gets nasty.

Haha, totally agree!  I think we were all very civil in our discussions today, which is a rare thing around here. :) 

• imageegb+jaf:
    imageSmoothieQueen:
    WTF bump? sorry for the double post, the computer sneezed, or something.nbsp; my UO is that the best Simpsons episode ever made is "Fear of Flying," and anything past season 9 is crappy.
    Haha this is an awesome uo! I would also like to add a tv related uo I don't watch the office, dr who, true blood or any if those andi don't quite get the appeal. I however am in love with the very underrated and somehow semi unknown show check it out with steve brule. And I am in love with the squidbillies. I hope that isn't very unpopular because the sh!t is hilarious

haha! i remember squidbillies from back in my college years- very funny. aqua teen hunger force was another good one

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageMrsG071809:
    imageRibbitGrl930:
    imagelkm2006:
    imageMrsG071809:

imagevmihelci:

Here you go: https://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-11-21/lifestyle/sc-health-1121-breast-feeding-lies-20121121_1_lactation-consultant-breast-milk-health-outcomes

Pregnancy Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • My UO is that only women who feel bad about not breastfeeding scour the internet trying to find articles that say breastfeeding is bad.  My other UO is that formula is evil.  It will make your babies fat and less intelligent.  Also, women who don't even try to breastfeed are IMO lazy and self centered....oh and less intelligent.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"