August 2013 Moms

Hospital Bag for Baby STM

My hubby and I are first time parents. We're having a boy at the end of August. What do we all need to pack for baby? What size of clothes would you recommend bringing?

Re: Hospital Bag for Baby STM

• I packed 1 newborn outfit, a hat, blanket and pacifier.  My biggest baby was 8 pounds and the newborn still fit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I'm a FTM, too.  I found this on pinterest and thought it was great:

https://workmanfamily.typepad.com/our_life/2010/09/whats-in-a-bag.html

photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Loading the player...
  • All you really need is a carseat, outfit, and maybe a blanket.

Some take a baby memory book to the hospital for footprints, but ours does a fancy card that I put in the book instead.

Everything else is provided.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• imagehenderson1026:

I'm a FTM, too.  I found this on pinterest and thought it was great:

Really 4 outfits, your own hand sanitizer, baby toiletries? I wouldn't call this woman "packing light" in the least

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Car seat, a set of newborn clothes, a blanket. That's it for us.
  • imageMammaBear81:
    imagehenderson1026:

Really 4 outfits, your own hand sanitizer, baby toiletries? I wouldn't call this woman "packing light" in the least

Yea, i thought 4 outfits, homemade wipes, etc. were a bit extreme - but a good guide none the less.

BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• imageMammaBear81:
    I packed 1 newborn outfit, a hat, blanket and pacifier.nbsp; My biggest baby was 8 pounds and the newborn still fit.

This. My DS was 9lbs and he still wore newborn size for about a month.
  • imageMammaBear81:
    I packed 1 newborn outfit, a hat, blanket and pacifier.nbsp; My biggest baby was 8 pounds and the newborn still fit.

This. My DS was 9lbs and he still wore newborn size for about a month.
  • imageMammaBear81:
    imagehenderson1026:

No, no. She says she packs VERY, VERY light.

:eye roll:

I'm another one who takes one NB sized outfit, a blanket and the carseat. I might have had the diaper bag loaded up in the car, but I'm not sure. The hospital really provides everything you could possibly need for the baby.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All I brought for baby was a NB outfit (DS was 9 lbs and 22 inches long and still fit in a Carters Sleep and Play fine).  A very light receiving blanket and DH brought in the infant carrier when we took him home. 

Thats it.  Hospital provided everything for him.

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imageMammaBear81:
    imagehenderson1026:

lol.  That is insane!

DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imageBelhurstBride:
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagehenderson1026:

No, no. She says she packs VERY, VERY light.

:eye roll:

I'm another one who takes one NB sized outfit, a blanket and the carseat. I might have had the diaper bag loaded up in the car, but I'm not sure. The hospital really provides everything you could possibly need for the baby.  

LOL, my family always makes fun how much stuff I bring with me on trips, so to me that seemed "light"

BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• swaddling blanket

a take home outfit (newborn size- or 3 month if you think you will have a big baby)

hat 

nursing pillow (I was so thankful I took the boppy with us to the hospital)

The hospital will have pacis, diapers, wipes, blankets and even clothes for your LO while he is still there. Some people insist on dressing their baby in their own clothes and using their own blankets right away, but I feel like all that isn't necessary. Take advantage of what the hospital provides to make it more simple.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageBlueJewelM:
    imageMammaBear81:
    imagehenderson1026:

lol.  That is insane!

Wow! That is just crazy! I thought I over packed the first time, but I didnt have that much stuff!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• We never had any newborn outfits. We just used the 0 to 3 clothes. In other words 3 months depending on the brand. Dd was 6lb 7oz and fit fine.
    I agree with others...car seat, outfit or 2 because they usually take photos for you, and blanket maybe.
    BFP #4 11/21/12 - EDD 8/2/12 BFP#3 Missed m/c 9 wk 3 days. D & c 4/27/12. :( BFP #2 8/10/09 - DD Born April 2010 BFP #1 Suspected Ectopic 4/09 - Methotrexate
  • MrsIMrsI member
    I will probably pack slightly more this time because it seemed everything went wrong last time. For DD I brought her going home outfit, a cute little romper. I also grabbed a sleep and play, a blanket and a hat. She was born June 21 it should have been hot here but it ended up being really chilly. I put the sleep and play on her and she ended up puking a TON, I'm assuming she swallowed some fluid at birth and like 24 hours later it and all the milk we had tried to give her came up. Well it was way too cold to wear the romper home so she had to wear the pukey sleep and play. Oh and I sent the blanket home with DH for the dog so I also had to beg the hospital for one to take home to cover her up in the car seat. So this time I will probably have his take home outfit, and 2 sleep and plays and 2 blankets and a hat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just registered with my hospital and they gave me a list. They told me to supply all of my own diapers, wipes, etc everything for baby. I'm in Canada but you might want to check with your hospital.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a whole bag planned, following some advice on the boards I saw previously. I just spoke with a coworker who delivered 3 months ago in the same hospital and she said she waaay overpacked and it was a hassle to take back home. Consequently I am repacking and reevaluating based on what she said the hospital will provide. Probably will do that several times prior to August since I keep second guessing everything now.
  • I definitely packed more than one outfit for DD. Maybe 4 or 5. Glad I did, as we were in the hospital for four nights after my csection and mostly just sat around taking pics of the new baby. I wouldn't bother with baby toiletries or anything, but I'll definitely bring a selection of clothing and a couple of blankets, plus NB cloth diapers and a wet bag.
  • We had a photographer come in so we brought a couple of outfits. We brought a Newborn outfit and 0-3 since we didn't know how big he'd be. That was it. The hospital supplied us with everything else. I made sure to bring a bag big enough to stuff the diapers and wipes and all the other things they gave us.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I definitely don't think baby needs their whole own bag. For DS (and for this LO) I will bring a onesie, hat, socks, blanket, and maybe a sleeper. The end.

The hospital provides everything you need for baby (diapers, wipes, blankets, even clothes). Also, re: that link, wtf would you need nail clippers?? Who clips their newborn's nails?? We couldn't clip DS's nails (and were actually warned not to) until he was several weeks old at least. I filed them until then, but at home, not at the hospital.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • We packed two outfits, 0-3.  DS was almost 10 pounds.  Newborn didnt fit.  Last time, since I did know the size exactly so I brought one of each.  This time, I'm just bringing 0-3.  I did bring wipes, bc the hospital gives towels for wipes and it was hard using the rough towels wiping poop.  Carseat.  They give we a hat and diapers... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"