One & Done: Only child

Starting solids

Hey everyone!  I was just wondering what you moms did when your LO's starting eating. Did you do the cereal first? Did you use the jar food or did you pur?e your own baby food? My little one will be be 6 months in a couple wks and I'm just looking to see what others did.

Re: Starting solids

• Because we were OAD, I couldn't justify buying a fancy baby food maker. We made purees in the blender and froze them in ice cube trays.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We started rice cereal at 4 mo. It was sort of pushed on us by the sitter. Even though DS was not getting "full" on just formula, I wish we'd waited. But besides that we would buy Earth's Best jarred food when it was on sale at BRU. I made a few batches of pureed food, but that wasn't for me. Just take it slow and let LO explore taste and texture. Try not to stress :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what I was thinking, I wasn't sure I wanted to invest in something like the baby bullet since I would only be using it for a few months.
  • imagemere2005:
    We started rice cereal at 4 mo. It was sort of pushed on us by the sitter. Even though DS was not getting "full" on just formula, I wish we'd waited. But besides that we would buy Earth's Best jarred food when it was on sale at BRU. I made a few batches of pureed food, but that wasn't for me. Just take it slow and let LO explore taste and texture. Try not to stress :

Thanks! There is just so much info out there about what to do and not do, it can be overwhelming! 

• imagemere2005:
    We started rice cereal at 4 mo. It was sort of pushed on us by the sitter. Even though DS was not getting "full" on just formula, I wish we'd waited. But besides that we would buy Earth's Best jarred food when it was on sale at BRU. I made a few batches of pureed food, but that wasn't for me. Just take it slow and let LO explore taste and texture. Try not to stress :

Thanks! There is just so much info out there about what to do and not do, it can be overwhelming! 

• we started with cereal at 5 mo 3 weeks.i just milled whole oats and boiled it with 4 cups water for 30 mins. My sister got us the baby bullet though any food processor will do. We use the baby bullet to make his food.

We gave him all the first food low allergy stuff sweet potatoe first then avocado, banana, zucchini, apple, yellow squash, asparagus, rice cereal, then jar food of carrots (because of nitrate) butternut squash, cheerios (for eye hand coordination practice) white potatoe, plaintain, mango, we are now trying broccoli and plums this week.

Hubby has allergies so we are slowly introducing stuff ev 3-4 days  

Good luck and happy planning after a while its awesome if you plan your meals for the coming week you can just use some of the veggies/ fruit and give to your LO

• imageMrs_Lady:

we started with cereal at 5 mo 3 weeks.i just milled whole oats and boiled it with 4 cups water for 30 mins. My sister got us the baby bullet though any food processor will do. We use the baby bullet to make his food.

We gave him all the first food low allergy stuff sweet potatoe first then avocado, banana, zucchini, apple, yellow squash, asparagus, rice cereal, then jar food of carrots (because of nitrate) butternut squash, cheerios (for eye hand coordination practice) white potatoe, plaintain, mango, we are now trying broccoli and plums this week.

Hubby has allergies so we are slowly introducing stuff ev 3-4 days  

Good luck and happy planning after a while its awesome if you plan your meals for the coming week you can just use some of the veggies/ fruit and give to your LO

Thanks!!  Your baby is sooo cute!

• Like others have said, we knew we were OAD so we weren't going to get any more use out of a baby bullet or the like. For me, it just wasn't cost or time effective to make purees. watched for sales and couponed the heck out of Plum Organics, Ella's Kitchen and Earth's Best pouches. I'd wait until Target had a sale, their own coupon and manufacturer's coupons so I got them for next to nothing. A lot of times, sites like Zulily have deals on bulk amounts, too. I still use them to mix with his morning oatmeal and for on the go snacks. 

• We skipped cereals, and did BLWing (baby led weaning) so I skipped the purees as well.  Never bought any specific baby food.  Super easy!
    IMG_8355
  • I was told to skip rice cereal as it has almost no nutritional value, so we attempted blw. She was kind of a lazy eater, so we did spoon feed her once a day for a little while. We just bought jars of food, usually beachnut, or she ate yo baby yogurt. We never fed her meat purees, I think they are gross.
  • BLW here too, except we did give her the plum organics pouches (and she still gets pouches for snacks sometimes when we're out and about - she loves them!)

A+S | Met 8/24/06 | Married 9/27/08
    Started TTC 12/2008 | dx PCOS 5/2009
    6 failed clomid/femara/TI cycles, 1 failed clomid/ovidrel/IUI cycle
    Successful Cycle: 5/12/11 - 1000mg Metformin + 100mg Clomid(late response) + TI = BFP

2/13/12 - We proudly welcomed our daughter, Hadley Teresa!
    Lots of Luck to all of 3T/IF

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

• We skipped cereal completely and introduced single-ingredient fruit and vegetable purees at 6 months. Storebought organic, not homemade.

Most of my birth month board was doing BLW but we were too intimidated.

• salt78salt78 member
    I did cereal first for a couple weeks when she was around 5 months. After talking to her pediatrician, I felt that was a good place to start since it's so non-allergenic and if she was going to choke that would be a really easy thing to choke on. We did a mixture of pur?es and BLW after that. I wanted to make my own pur?es, but it got to be really time consuming so Earth's Best became our friend.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Thanks for all the replies!
  • We did cereal for practice, and also the iron, and then switched to purees and table food.  I made plenty of my own on demand (I wasn't much into freezing), and also loved Earth's Best.  

Just remember to go with the flow and not freak out over what your kid is/isn't eating.  Be consistent with offering only healthy options and eventually he will eat like a champ.   

• We started rice cereal at 6 months, but she hated it.  And she wasn't ready, either.. any food would just dribble back out (she was born almost 6 weeks early, could have something to do with it)..  so she took a month off, and then went to veggies and fruits and it went much better.

Some of the complicated veggies/fruits I bought jarred. I was too lazy to cook huge batch of apples and green beans and puree :)

But some things I made and pureed for her, and put in ice cube trays and froze. Bananas, sweet potatoes, etc.  We did a mix.

E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • We're just starting now.  I have a Baby Chef steamer/pureer/blender thing that I've made some puree batches (butternut squash, sweet potato, peas, apple/peach sauce).  We gave him baby oatmeal once, per the pedi.  But since, he's only had regular food.  I mashed up a banana and he at almost the whole thing.  I mashed up an avocado and he was hot/cold with it.  Last night we tried butternut squash, and he didn't like it.  I'm planning to offer purees, with a little baby-led weaning.  We'll just go with it.  Good luck!  We're having a lot of fun with foods :-)
  • We started with oat cereal around 5 1/2 months then swtiched to pureed veggeis at 6 months.  MIL gifted us a Baby Bullet which worked pretty well but a blender or food processor would get you the same results.  I often just used stuff that I could mash by hand anyways (sweet potatoes, potatoes, avocados, carrots, parsnips, etc.) and skipped the gadgets all together.  I just froze what I made in ice cube trays and we did use some-store bought too (pouches for on the go).  We did purees for a few months then switched to mainly table foods.  He's been eating pretty much what we're eating for a couple of months now (with some alterations here and there).

ETA:  My guy still has pouches on the go or for snacks.

• salt78salt78 member
    imagePossum2011:

ETA:  My guy still has pouches on the go or for snacks.

We use pouches for on the go too. So easy to just throw in the diaper bag for outings.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • We did cereal first and then moved on to purees. I made my own, but like pp, I just used our food processor, not a specific device branded for baby food. Her first solid was actually just mashed banana.

Have fun!

• KL777KL777 member
    That was a while ago for me, but I remember starting DS out on oatmeal at 5 1/2 months.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• We started with little bits of oatmeal here and there at 4.5 months. I added purees at about 5 months, yogurt at 6, and bits of whatever we were eating at about 7 months. I made all his food at home using a steamer basket and food processor until he started eating what we ate.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We did cereal and jar foods. And we started right at the 6 month mark. 
    "You and me together can do anything, baby!!" DMB
    Married October 16th, 2010
    TTC #1 since October 2010
    1st BFP 1-12-11
    MC'd 1-22-11
    2nd BFP 2-15-11
    Our Wee One....**KENNEDY JO** born 10/3/11@ 36weeks via Csection
    My BFP Chart
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Labor Buddy to **MRS.ATCH** Welcome Quinn 11-5-11**
  • imageTiffanyBerry:
    We skipped cereals, and did BLWing baby led weaning so I skipped the purees as well. nbsp;Never bought any specific baby food. nbsp;Super easy!
    Us too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"