Babies: 0 - 3 Months

After you deliver

FTM due in 3 weeks. How soon after you deliver are you able to exercise the way you use to, meaning running, crunches and lifting heavier weights?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: After you deliver

• It completely depends on the person, what kind of delivery you had, your recovery, etc. Most people wait till their 6 week postpartum appointment to get cleared for it.
  • I was walking two weeks postpartum, though I started lifting weights after 6 weeks because I used to lift heavy weights (150+lbs deads, cleans, squats, etc.). I haven't started running yet though, have been waiting for my son to be able to hold his head up and have strong neck control before I use the jogging stroller, even though the road is straight, there is some indentations.

If you feel like you can walk and if you do and aren't excessively bleeding then I think it'll be okay. You know you've done too much when you bleed a lot or if you are really very sore /extra tired the next day.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageMrsWindyCity:
    It completely depends on the person, what kind of delivery you had, your recovery, etc. Most people wait till their 6 week postpartum appointment to get cleared for it.

This. I ended up trying to work out earlier than the 6 week mark, and I ended up getting really sore down below. After that, I just waited until I had the ok from my OB.

• I ran 5 miles/day up to the day I went into labor, and started walking/running 10 days PP. I started running less than 1 mile at a time, but at 4 weeks PP, I can do 5 miles fine. So it really depends on what you're still doing while pregnant and what your delivery is like. I had no stitches, btw. But take my advice, and do NOT ride a bike before 3 weeks!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 4 weeks for me to return to the gym, 8 weeks to get back to what I'd been lifting. I had a 3rd degree tear, so it was slower than I'd have liked.  Getting back to where I was prepregnancy wasn't too difficult because I was able to work out up until the week I gave birth.  I'd say it totally depends on your individual recovery.  
  • I had a csection. I worked out until 6 days before I delievered (4 days past my EDD)

I started walking as soon as possible and still go on a walk everyday with DH and LO. I Started wearing her WHILE I walked around 3 weeks PP, and would walk 4+ miles everyday. I did my first run around 4 weeks PP, and some light workouts 4-6 PP.  I went back to Crossfit the day after my 6 week appointment with my OB.

At 3 months PP I'm still catching up though. It really depends on delivery; my core is shot after the csection, so a lot of lifts are hard, but that's the nature of the beast!

BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • I'm 8 days PP after an emergency c section and I tried light walking yesterday and was surprised how sore I am today. Add that to DS deciding I had to be his personal binky holder all night and the 2 doctors appointments we had today I can't even think about doing anything more today....tomorrow isn't looking good either. You'll be surprised how tired you are and how things will pop up that bump working out way down the list.
  • Totally depends on how delivery goes.  With DS I worked out the whole time and had what I thought was a pretty easy delivery but I didn't feel great till about 6-8 weeks afterwards.  With DD I had an even easier delivery and felt great in about 3 weeks.  Everyone is different but working out while pregnant helps.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"