Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Desperate to help my toddler

For about 3 weeks now she has been absolutely miserable and started throwing tantrums which I think is happening because she is so exhausted. Here is what is happening. She goes to bed about 8 or 830 and tosses and turns, fusses and sometimes cries for 30 min before falling asleep. About 11 or 12 she is whining and whimpering in her sleep and tossing and turning. I've tried just leaving her to figure it out, but its not crying. It's more miserable than anything. I end up bringing her in our bed and she tosses and turns all night in bed with us. She kicks her legs all night and every hour or so I have to rub them to help her back to sleep.
Because of her not sleeping well, her face is puffy her eyes are droopy and she is so exhausted all day long.
Could this be growing pains? Teething? It just seems to be dragging on and I'm just not sure how to help her. She's miserable and I'd like to know if this is normal or maybe I should call her dr.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Desperate to help my toddler

• It sounds like it is not normal for her, so I think I might put in a call to the pedi. 

One thing that did strike me is the kicking and rubbing the legs bit. DD1 sometimes gets cramps in her legs and it is miserable to deal with at night (even at 5 she isn't good at articulating what the problem is in the middle of the night). I might try giving the kid a banana during the day (for the potassium) and see if that helps while you're waiting to get in at the doctor's  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • imageColsdoll:
    It sounds like it is not normal for her, so I think I might put in a call to the pedi.nbsp;One thing that did strike me is the kicking and rubbing the legs bit. DD1 sometimes gets cramps in her legs and it is miserable to deal with at night even at 5 she isn't good at articulating what the problem is in the middle of the night. I might try giving the kid a banana during the day for the potassium and see if that helps while you're waiting to get in at the doctor's nbsp;

That's exactly what I've been doing. If not a banana I give her a fruit pouch with banana in it, etc. it hasn't helped.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Is she getting her molars?

• imagehopefulmom81:
    Is she getting her molars?

She's had her molars for quite some time. She's working on 1 eye tooth now, but its been almost coming out for a few months.
  • imageMrsEllis10:
    imagehopefulmom81:
    She's had her molars for quite some time. She's working on 1 eye tooth now, but its been almost coming out for a few months.

Just her one year, or does she also have the two year molars? Eye teeth and molars are really hard on some kids. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

imageMrsEllis10:
    imagehopefulmom81:

Just her one year, or does she also have the two year molars? Eye teeth and molars are really hard on some kids. 

Just her 1 year molars. I didn't even consider the 2 year molars as a possibility. She's been pretty normal as far as teething goes. Just cranky and pissy. I really hope that this is teething honestly. My poor girl is worn out!!
  • My kid is like with teeth too. She also seems to get a mouth full at once and then stop for awhile so it drags on.

Have you tried Tylenol/Motrin/Whatever? Sometimes I give it to my kid when she acts like what you describe. It seems to help whatever the matter maybe.

Also, is she too overstimulated before bed? If we're a bit off schedule and she's tearing around doing whatever and I just put her to bed it makes for a rough night.

• Some magazine (Parents? Redbook?) had a feature recently on restless legs syndrome. Could it be that??
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Speaking of restless leg, have her iron levels been checked?  Many cases of restless leg stem from low iron (level in the blood, or stores, it can be either).  I know that Iron levels can be tough to maintain in some kids at this age.
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd be curious if the pain medicine helps relieve the symptoms too...that could at least help you narrow it down to a pain-related issue (leg cramps, teeth, ear infection).

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagedosafyre:
    I'd be curious if the pain medicine helps relieve the symptoms too...that could at least help you narrow it down to a painrelated issue leg cramps, teeth, ear infection.

She was in the hospital about 2 months ago for dehydration from a bad virus and iron levels were checked. Do I need to have it done again??
    Also, before I went get her in bed last night I had some Motrin ready. She did all the same with it.
  • Not sure what your bedtime routine is like, but a warm bath might help soothe those restless legs or any other restlessness she might have.  I know when I get restless legs, a hot shower usually will get rid of it.  If nothing else it might calm her for bed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrsEllis10:
    imagememali26:

imageMrsEllis10:
    imagehopefulmom81:

Just her 1 year molars. I didn't even consider the 2 year molars as a possibility. She's been pretty normal as far as teething goes. Just cranky and pissy. I really hope that this is teething honestly. My poor girl is worn out!!

My DD is going through the same thing right now (she is 15 months). She's getting her eye teeth, and it's been a slow process. She's been teething hard for about 2 weeks, and I can only see the tip of one eye tooth, and her molars look like they are moving around a bit, one was out, then it recessed a little, now it's out again.... DD doesn't usually wake up at night, but for the past week, she'll wake up every now and then and whimper a little bit.

If you can't get to the pedi right away, you could always try giving her a bit of Advil before bed and see if that helps her sleep if it is indeed teething pain related. I don't generally like to give DD a lot of Advil, but on nights like that I figure it's better if she can get some sleep so she can cope a little better throughout the day, our pedi is fine with that.

• I would definitely call the pediatrician. They at least will rule out anything that is hurting her and may be able to give you some methods of relief.

Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"