Stay at Home Moms

Kate - American Girl

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the one taking your daughter to the American Girl store in New York over this past Christmas, yes?
If so, I figure you'll have some American Girl knowledge.

DD will be 21 months old when DD#2 is born.  I have been having a terrible time finding a baby doll that we like that we can give DD so she can mock us with the new baby.

I realize your daughter is quite a bit older, but would you recommend the Bitty Baby?
It's rated for 3+ and DD won't even be 2 yet... but if I essentially take away all the accessories, is there really anything hazardous with the baby doll itself?

-----
Would anyone recommend a different (/specific) baby doll for the barely 2yo age group??

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Kate - American Girl

• Lurking...but we have a Bitty Baby and it's great. DD1's godmother gave it to her when she was one year old. The doll itself is totally fine. You are right that it's the tiny accessories that would be a problem. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lurker too but we have 4 AG dolls. I love the bitty baby. DD got one at 2 and still plays with it at 6
  • Loading the player...
  • Butting in. I opened this because we are giving DD an American Girl doll for her birthday next week and taking her to tea that the LA store. We did that for the oldest a few years ago too. Anyway, I think any soft-bodied doll would work. The bittly babies would be fine too. I would definetly get her a stoller (I can't tell you how much my girls loved the doll stoller at that age). Butting out now.
    Proud Mommy to Kaylie 12-04, Alaina 5-06 & Annalise 6-08 imageimage
  • Thank you all for your replies; I expected/wanted lurkers too!

It sounds like, the Bitty Baby is an okay doll for DD.  I'm assuming after many years and multiple children, it has held up to it's $60 price tag?
    (That's really all that's holding me back.  It's not a matter of affording it, but if it's wise to give a $60 doll to a 1 yo.  Haha!  I just think, after months of looking, I like Bitty Baby the best.  Maybe I'm just chasing the brand name??)

Thank you for your insight!

• AG dolls are expensive but you get what you pay for they are very high quality.
  • imageAndrewsgal:
    AG dolls are expensive but you get what you pay for they are very high quality.

I agree with this. Sorry, I was at the doctor, but I agree with all PP. DD has a bitty baby and it still gets played with my younger kids who come over and if a friend comes over and doesn't bring a doll. I'm actually amazed how much she plays with all of them. 

• We have  Corelle doll and it's held up well and still looks pretty new considering she's had it 1.5 years.  I decided to get that one for her now she since was so young and get a bitty baby for her when she's a bit older.  It's still $40 but that's better than $60!

https://www.amazon.com/Corolle-Premier-Tidoo-Baby-Pouce/dp/B0002GZ60Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1370453804&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=Corelle+tidoo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another lurker too. We love AG and I think the Bitty Baby would be great at that age. Like other posters have said, AG is $$ but it is so worth it. Both for the experience of going to the store, and the dolls themselves.
  • imagehheyderh:
    We havenbsp; Corelle doll and it's held up well and still looks pretty new considering she's had it 1.5 years.nbsp; I decided to get that one for her now she since was so young and get a bitty baby for her when she's a bit older.nbsp; It's still 40 but that's better than 60!https://www.amazon.com/CorollePremierTidooBabyPouce/dp/B0002GZ60Q/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=apsamp;ie=UTF8amp;qid=1370453804amp;sr=11catcorramp;keywords=Corelletidoo
    See I think you should just pay the money now. We have had our for 4 almost 5 years and she looks good as new.
  • imageRebecca2024:

Thank you all for your replies; I expected/wanted lurkers too!

It sounds like, the Bitty Baby is an okay doll for DD.  I'm assuming after many years and multiple children, it has held up to it's $60 price tag?
    (That's really all that's holding me back.  It's not a matter of affording it, but if it's wise to give a $60 doll to a 1 yo.  Haha!  I just think, after months of looking, I like Bitty Baby the best.  Maybe I'm just chasing the brand name??)

Thank you for your insight!

I would say so, I had a number of AG dolls myself including bitty baby they are all in great shape and I plan to give them to DD when she is old enough.

• may as well start now!!! we love ag around here! i swear, her interest in these dolls has fostered her nurturing side, sparked an interest in history through the historical dolls, raised her reading level -- she's been reading the 8+ books since mid-kidergarten. also, she's not into brats, monster high -- which i'm kind of happy about, and i attribute it to loving ag dolls so much! we live close by the boston store, but far enough that we don't have to go there all the time -- crazy expensive!! after sunday (kid's family birthday party), she'll have 8 dolls -- but she takes care of them and adores them -- so we don't mind :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"