Working Moms

ACA & Self-Employed Spouses + Employer Sponsored Health Care

Has anyone heard about employers dropping spouses from employee sponsored health care plans due to the ACA (starting January 1)?

My DH, who is self-employed, heard from a reputable source there is a K-12 public school district in our area that is dropping spouses from employee health plans.  So the employee could be covered and I presume kids, but no spouses.  The school district is doing so because of ACA.  Source was pretty sure it wasn't spousal buy-out (i.e. spouse who has health insurance has to use their employer's health insurance), but that all spouses would be dropped.  

This would be a problem for us - DH is self-employed so if ACA is going to cause employers to drop spouses we would have to purchase an individual plan for him. Clearly this would be a good use of money, but not something we currently have in the budget.  I am going to call our HR office, but they don't tend to be on the curve in general (in my experience) and are behind the curve in relation to how ACA impacts our policies.  The more information I can take to our HR the more likely I am to get some sort of useful answer.

Anyone heard anything or know of a good resource?  We live in Ohio if that makes a difference.

Re: ACA & Self-Employed Spouses + Employer Sponsored Health Care

• I also carry insurance due to My husband being self-employed.  We just had reenrollment and there were no issues.  My friend is a teacher in Florida And her district several years ago stopped covering dependent s at a discounted rate basically it was less expensive for her to get private coverage for her self-employees dh and son than pay for her work coverage. This change had nothing to do with ACA. I know my company, this is not related to ACA,  will only let you cover a spouse if his or her employer does not offer coverage or offers coverage covered at less than 50 percent of total cost of priemium. They randomly audit and find out you were not truthful you can be Fired.  I have been audited several times.   I think companies by law only have to offer to employees or at least that is how it was in tHe past. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think it depends on the company and plan you have. I think this particular company could be dropping coverage for spouses to save on cost bc more people will be electing coverage next year bc they are required to.

My company is no longer offering traditional health insurance starting next year due to the Affordable Care act to save on costs. Only one high deductible plan is being offered, with a 3,000 deductible per person before any coverage begins. So every sick visit to the pedi will cost me 120 until each boy hits 3,000, then it's 20 percent. Oh, and my monthly premiums aren't going down either.

And I work for a very very large well known company. Lots of changes coming next year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I just googled it and this is what I found https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-your-boss-is-dumping-your-wife-2013-02-22

I work for our benefits and so we can save if my company did this It would really suck. Also I feel like it will starting limiting where people can work.  Hopefully ACA will bring down cost of private coverage. For us because I have a Crohn's disease private is not affordable with me on the plan. I don't see my husband giving up his private one person law practice for insurance and he should not have too. This really burns me up. Our generation is getting hit left and right. Basically no social security so we have to save a ton more and now may be saddled with high cost of health in an environment where companies are not giving raises etc  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • The company that I used to work for, and thankfully no longer work for is doing this. It would have been quite a hit to us, financially. I was in touch with a previous co-worker and they were given 60 days notice on how it was going to affect them. She believes that the company might drop all care next year and pay the fine based on information she's received.
  • Healthcare law requires employees to offer coverage to full-time employees and their dependent children...not spousal coverage.  So, it's really up to each employer regarding spousal coverage.   I think many are dropping spousal coverage for 2 reasons...ObamaCare mandates that companies pay a fee for every individual they cover and with the new "exchanges", companies feel that individuals (like the spouses they drop) will have other ways to find coverage. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSnow1010:
    Healthcare law requires employees to offer coverage to full-time employees and their dependent children...not spousal coverage.  So, it's really up to each employer regarding spousal coverage.   I think many are dropping spousal coverage for 2 reasons...ObamaCare mandates that companies pay a fee for every individual they cover and with the new "exchanges", companies feel that individuals (like the spouses they drop) will have other ways to find coverage. 

Yes this. Our company is looking at it as an option. They are going to decide in the next couple of months if they are actually going to do it.

\image  image

• DH is self-employed and my firm quit offering health insurance a few years ago so all three of us (DH, myself and LO) are on a private plan.  Initially, we were paying about $1400 under COBRA, but switched to a high deductible plan that allows three doctor's visits a year without having to reach the deductible. 

I think we pay about $400 a month for all three of us.  It really isn't bad.  Even though we have to come out-of-pocket for a lot, it is still cheaper than the $1400 a month we were paying for "good" insurance (i.e. low deductible) which really didn't turn out to be that great when we actually had to use it for my pregnancy because they denied us on every little thing...we won every appeal (eventually), but it was a big pain and huge amount of unnecessary stress.

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"