June 2012 Moms
Options

Meat and poultry ?

I want to give my baby turkey but I don't want it to be something loaded with preservatives and nitrates . What do some of you guys give baby ? Also what kind of chicken and beef ?  DS has only had ground beef with spaghetti and a little bit of chicken . This is my third time around , you would think I would be a pro . It has been awhile though since we have done the toddler stages , middle son is almost 8 ! I feel like I need a refresher course .

Re: Meat and poultry ?

• Options
    i get my lunch meat from the deli so its got less chemicals. but other than that i feed whatever we eat. steak, hamburger meat, pork, chicken, etc.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We just bought 1/8 side of beef from a local farm. The cows are mostly grass-fed, so the beef is very lean and healthy. We paid $4.75 a pound for a mix of ground beef, steaks, and roasts, so it was also actually fairly economical for us. The same farm also raises chickens, so I will be getting some of those soon hopefully.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a dairy farm so all of our beef comes from there. As well as pork because the farm buys each family a pig every year. Chicken I buy from the grocery but its the fresh stuff not frozen and they are cage free no hormones. DS eats all meat. If we have steak he has shredded steak. If we have a pork roast he has pork. If you think that stuff is still to tough for DS cook it in a slow cooker.
  • Options

imageunaveragejane:
    We just bought 1/8 side of beef from a local farm. The cows are mostly grass-fed, so the beef is very lean and healthy. We paid $4.75 a pound for a mix of ground beef, steaks, and roasts, so it was also actually fairly economical for us. The same farm also raises chickens, so I will be getting some of those soon hopefully.

wow! We don't have that here...we usually buy grass fed beef from WF. 

• Options
    Try whole foods, trader joes or a local health food store.  The meat behind the case isn't necessarily better for you.  Hormel makes a lunch meat w/o nitrates, antibiotics, or phosphates but I try not to support that company, but will do so if in a pinch as it is more commercially available (regular grocery stores, Walmart, etc).  It comes in a cardboard box.  We also buy grass fed (& finished) meat.  My big thing is making sure the. Eat is antibiotic free as they are overloaded in our society (milk, meats, honey, etc)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Danaz1Danaz1 member
    we use ground turkey I don't really buy lunch meat
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    imageArkansasMom22:
    imageanonsouthernbell:
    Try whole foods, trader joes or a local health food store. nbsp;The meat behind the case isn't necessarily better for you. nbsp;Hormel makes a lunch meat w/o nitrates, antibiotics, or phosphates but I try not to support that company, but will do so if in a pinch as it is more commercially available regular grocery stores, Walmart, etc. nbsp;It comes in a cardboard box. nbsp;We also buy grass fed amp; finished meat. nbsp;My big thing is making sure the. Eat is antibiotic free as they are overloaded in our society milk, meats, honey, etc

Just an FYI it is illegal to use hormones for chicken or pork production in the US. As for antibiotics, companies only use them to treat a sick animal so it doesn't spread to the flock/heard. Companies don't just dose chickens or cows with antibiotics because then it will cause resistance in the future. I think there is a lot of misconceptions about organic/antibiotic free/"natural".
    I just buy chicken breast or tenders and roast them with a variety of seasonings for DS. I also made mini beef meatballs that he loved. you should focus on the ingredients that you use when you cook. I make sure DS gets very little salt or sugar since that is controllable. When he ends up eating school lunch it won't be organic but it will be low in sodium and fat since it is regulated by the USDA.

Hormones are used to bring pigs into heat more often. Hormones to increase size aren't used if that's what you mean. And cows do get antibiotics regularly. They are on a vaccine schedule.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"