May 2013 Moms

Cloth Diaper Checkin

If you're cloth diapering, how's it going? Has the experience been easier, more difficult, or as expected so far? Which brand/type in your stash is becoming your favorite?
He melts me...
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Calvin Francis
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cloth Diaper Checkin

• I am waiting for his circ to heal so we can put him in my NB stash. I am thrilled he is tiny so he will be in the tiny dipes for a while. Should be any day now. Can't wait to see his fluffy butt.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My favorite system so far is GMD workhorses with a wool cover, my SIL made us a few. I also really like the Swaddlebees Simplex newborn AIOs but they are too expensive. I liked the Lil Joey AIOs at first but he quickly outgrew the absorbency. Prefolds haven't worked out for us so far, he's leaked out of them every time I tried. I'll try again once he's bigger or experiment with different covers. I have a Thirsties Duo and a Bummis Super Brite cover that I like but they are still a little too big for him. MH does all of the diaper laundry and he says that we need to order a few more so we can make it two days between washes. We have 12 workhorses and 4 AIOs that we like to use, plus 3 more AIOs and a bunch of prefolds that we use if everything else is in the wash.  

We visited my in-laws last weekend and used disposables the whole time we were there, so for about 36 hours. I didn't find it to be any easier than cloth, and not nearly as cute! My son's big cloth diaper but makes my heart melt. I can't wait to buy more fluff!

• Loading the player...
  • LN1024LN1024 member

We weren't sure we were going to fully commit to CDing, so we started out with some Rumparooz (Snap), AIO BumGenius, BumGenius 4.0, and Fuzzibunz. We loved it, and like laurenann said, don't find disposables any easier. We decided to stick with it and just purchased some more Rumparooz (APLIX and Snap), BumGenius (4.0 and AIOs) and are trying the Blueberrys. 

So far the Rumparooz have been our favorite and seem to fit M's skinny legs fairly well. The BunGenius have been really absorbent and are easy to use. Our least favorite have been the Fuzzibunz because they are more difficult and time consuming to work with. The liners are harder to put in and the sides are more difficult to adjust.  

• We cloth diapered with DD1 and keep meaning to start with DD2. With have GMB newborn with a variety of covers for this early stage. The rest of the stash is a mix of BG, RumpaRooz, and FuzziBunz. DD2 is still only 7lb 8oz, so diapers swim on her!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers image image image
  • DS is such a heavy wetter we are using fitteds only. Premium WAHM brands like Twinkie Tush and Tangerine Baby are working best because they are so absorbent. He pees through NB AIOs and AI2s which is disappointing.
  • I wanted to start CDing soon, but I tried them on her, and she's still swimming in most of them (I didn't want to invest in NB diapers).  Plus, how are you all handling the oh-so-frequent soiled diapers??  I don't think I would have enough cloth diapers to get through a day right now.  
  • He's almost outgrown the nb bum genius aio and always leaked through the nb grovia aio but out gmd clotheeze prefolds are working great. The NB size is almost too small and the size 1s are a tad big but they work great. The only leak we've had has been with disposables. I like the thirsties covers the best.

View Full Size Image

• imagemandy_marie:
    I wanted to start CDing soon, but I tried them on her, and she's still swimming in most of them I didn't want to invest in NB diapers. nbsp;Plus, how are you all handling the ohsofrequent soiled diapers?? nbsp;I don't think I would have enough cloth diapers to get through a day right now. nbsp;
    I started out with 70 diapers, although I already sold some that aren't working for us. DS only poops once a day, though. I change him every 2 hours.
  • kmcd23kmcd23 member
    So far my faves are the GMD workhorses with a thirstiest wrap. I want to invest in some wool next to keep him cooler and his skin breathing.

I definitely had to add disposables honest co. into the mix though because I don't have enough nb's to get through the day. I underestimated the 3 diapers per feed/change, lol.

My first attempt at a prefold was a complete disaster so I'm nervous to try them again any time soon!
  • Most of my stash are BG 4.0 or Alvas but I have one Totbot that I love love love!! As soon as DS1 is potty trained I am going to sell some of my stash and get some more Totbots for DS2.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • April!April! member

My baby is still too small for our Bumgenius pockets! I didn't want to buy newborn sized. I hope they'll fit next week. We also have some prefolds and Flip covers.

For those who have used them, the BGs don't have side gussets. How are they at containing poop? 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 9/5/2012 -- Born 5/20/2013 -- Welcome, rainbow baby!
    BFP #1 1/24/12 -- No HB 2/16/12 -- Misoprostol 3/10/12
    image image image
  • NDaryaNDarya member
    I'm only cloth diapering part-time when we are at home during the day. I use disposables during the night and when we are out. I've been using Grovia regular shells and inserts. They are supposed to be one size (u can adjust the size) but were huge on my LO at 2 weeks even on the smallest setting. He is 5 weeks old now 10 lbs and it still looks bulky on him but had only a couple of leakages. Had no troubles with soiled inserts. It washes off right away and I "bleach" them on the Sun if necessary. So far everything goes as expected. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • LN1024LN1024 member
    imageApril!:

My baby is still too small for our Bumgenius pockets! I didn't want to buy newborn sized. I hope they'll fit next week. We also have some prefolds and Flip covers.

For those who have used them, the BGs don't have side gussets. How are they at containing poop? 

We have never had a poop issue in any of our BGs. They seem to contain it pretty well.  

• Pretty well! It's actually a ton easier than I thought it would be. We only ever bought the prefolds and those are working great for us. The only problem we've had so far is that my LO is really tiny, so the "small" prefolds are huge on her. We bought a few of the NB ones "just in case" and now that's all we can use, so we had to order more. All but 2 of the diaper covers were also too big.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have for. My nb stash: kissaluv size o, swaddlebees fitteds,  gmd orange workhorse, gmd prefolds, bg xs, and some wham.

i semi hate prefolds. I can never get it tight enough because he s so wiggly, screaming, and legs are super skinny. I can trifold it and that seems to work but. Afraid of poop explosion which would only get on the cover not a huge deal. I will keep trying the angel wing fold and jellyroll. Hopefully he will not always hate diaper changes.

i plan on stuffing my pockets with the prefolds. 

the workhorse work really well. I also have the snap version and can see why the got rid of it. 

I use the klo at night along with the swaddlebees in case he gives. Us a good stretch of sleep. I haven't tried the bg yet but will today. 

I have only this thirsties covers. Both duo and xsmall. I like the xsmall has it doesn't have as much bulk. Duo is okay but get a better fit with the xsmall.  

Overall I really like it. I too love the big fluffy bum. 

BFP #1 6.9.12 EDD 2.16.13 Ended in emergency surgery due to an ectopic 6.23.13
    BFP #2 9.6.13  Rainbow born 5.22.13
    BFP# 3 8.28.14 EDD 5.1.15  2nd u/s revealed Twins   m/c 9.21.14 
    BFP # 4 11.27.14 EDD 8.5.15  1 perfect bean @ 6 weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"