June 2012 Moms

What carseat are you using?

DS turns one on Wednesday (Oh my god) and I'm thinking about looking into a new car seat.  He hates being in his rear facing seat.  Has anyone switched to forward facing yet?  What car seat do you recommend?

Re: What carseat are you using?

• We have the Britax Advocate and love it.  RF is safest and I believe they recommend it to at least 2 now.  Is your DS still in the infant seat?  I know DD didn't care for the infant seat after awhile but likes the convertible much more because she is more upright nd it is bigger.
  • We're going to keep DS rear-facing until he's two, which is the current recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics. He has been in a Britax Marathon since birth and it's been fine; Britax seats, however, are not recommended for tall kids due to the short shells which are outgrown earlier than other seats. If I were buying a new convertible seat now I'd be looking into the Chicco Nextfit.

Anyway, your son might prefer a RF convertible to his infant carrier because it won't be as reclined.

• Loading the player...
  • We have the Britax Boulevard 70 CS for both of our kids.  I actually have 3 of the CS style and one in the new style called the 70g3 (we have 2 seats in each car).  I love the Boulevard 70 CS seats, but I'm not as big of a fan of the 70 g3 style.  There is a plastic piece on the straps which is flexible on the CS style, but is rigid on the g3 making it much less comfortable for the child.

As for rear facing, I agree with other posters regarding the new standard for rear facing is 2 years.  It is definitely safest.  That being said, there were many on my son's BMB who turned their children around before 2 years.  Reasons for doing so included the child reached either the height or wait limits for their seat in the rear facing position, the child was getting car sick from riding backwards, another baby was on the way and two rear-facing car seats didn't fit in the vehicle, or the child put up such a fight when being put in the car seat rear facing that the parent turned them as a last resort (this usually resulted in a child who no longer fought being put in their seat).  For me, I turned DS around 20 months.  DD will stay rear facing as long as possible, but she is likely to reach the limits for RF before turning 2.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagejess9802:

We're going to keep DS rear-facing until he's two, which is the current recommendation from the American Academy of Pediatrics. He has been in a Britax Marathon since birth and it's been fine; Britax seats, however, are not recommended for tall kids due to the short shells which are outgrown earlier than other seats. If I were buying a new convertible seat now I'd be looking into the Chicco Nextfit.

Anyway, your son might prefer a RF convertible to his infant carrier because it won't be as reclined.

we have this as well...and DS is also still rear facing. 

• We have an Evenflo Symphony. In Canada the rules are by province. Generally its 22lbs and walking on their own and a child can be moved forward facing (Unless that province has a different rule). Transport Canada recommends remaining rear facing until your child outgrows the rear facing guidelines of your particular seat. We plan on going rear facing until about 2 year of age.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • We have a MyRide 65. DS outgrew the infant seat. He is too tall and his head was above the back. He is forward facing. I drive a truck and it won't fit backwards unless it's behind the passenger seat and the passenger seat is leaned all the way forward.

I went to the police department and the officer said "Rear facing within reasonable accommodations" He said I can't block my field of vision like the passenger seat did and that he's safer in the back middle forward facing than in the front passenger seat rear facing. Apparently, this is a very common problem. Hopefully by time we have another we can trade in DH's truck, he can have mine and I can get an SUV and this won't be a problem.
  • MsLsMsLs member
    imageMiaGirl0815:
    We have the Britax Advocate and love it. nbsp;RF is safest and I believe they recommend it to at least 2 now. nbsp;Is your DS still in the infant seat? nbsp;I know DD didn't care for the infant seat after awhile but likes the convertible much more because she is more upright nd it is bigger.

This exactly. My DS was not a fan of the infant seat but loves his car seat now. I can't recommend britax products enough.
  • We have the Graco MyRide 70 I think it's called.  DD likes it.  We're keeping her rear facing until at least 18 months.  We'll then have two car seats in the car and might need to turn hers forward at that time - we'll see how they fit in the car.
  • We have the Britax Pavillion and love it! She will stay rear facing until 2!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • DS has the Maxi Cosi Pria 70..worth every cent! I wish I had gotten this car seat from day 1 because it has an infant insert and I HATED that bucket seat! I wear ds so much in a ring sling that it was a waste of money to buy a travel system.

I will be RF DS as long as possible. even if his legs get too long he can criss cross apple sauce them. It's a LOT safer to cross their legs and keep RF than to FF.
  • SigirSigir member
    We are rule breakers. I have a dd who is 8, and we are reusing her britax marathon seats even though they are past the 7 year rule.

I also turned my older dd at about 1 and a half and I probably will for this dd as well. I have tall babies.
  • Graco MyRide 65. DD will be rear facing until 2. Make sure your state does not require RF until 2.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • K is still in her infant seat because of the convenience but I usually just leave it in the car.  I really don't want 4 convertible car seats (2 in each car) so we will try to go with the infant as long as we can.  We may just move DS's 2nd convertible to my car and leave the infant seat at grandma's (she has an extra convertible too).  

We have an Evenflo and My Ride 65 - whichever is slimmer rear facing will  become DD's (DS is ff b/c of his height) I like both of the seats.

image   image

• good tips and ideas ladies!  thanks for your input.  For some reason, I thought a lot more people were forward facing at this point.  Good to know :)
  • we are using the Evenflo Symphony 65. there were alot of plus sides to this one over the graco we have with DS. the biggest being it has self adjusting straps so i dont have  to rethread everytime she grows up a stage.
  • imagebeck8008:
    good tips and ideas ladies!  thanks for your input.  For some reason, I thought a lot more people were forward facing at this point.  Good to know :)

Rear facing is considered safer and recommended until 2 now (there are some exceptions - like the truck that pp mentioned or like my son who has a very long torso and hit the height limit by 18months).  If you want to see why it's safer there is a crash test video on youtube that shows the difference - it's pretty compelling.  

image   image

• The current recommendation is until the child outgrows the seat RFing, preferably after two.  The neck bones aren't fused until sometime around 4 so it is really preferable to keep them RFing that long.  We switched DS after three because it was hard for me to help him with the baby as his feet would get stuck when climbing up, otherwise he would still be RFing.  ( he is tall too at almost 43 in but could still comfortably fit RFing).  We have DD in a foonf and in a marathon in DHs car.  DS had a MyRide .
  • We have been using a Recaro Proride, in both cars, for a couple of months now. She/We love it!  

I don't plan to turn her to FF until she outgrows the weight/height limits in her current seat.  She's 23lbs now, so she has a while to go!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imagebeck8008:
    good tips and ideas ladies!  thanks for your input.  For some reason, I thought a lot more people were forward facing at this point.  Good to know :)

A couple of weeks ago this was a topic on here and it caused me to stress out BIG TIME!  When hubby and I registered we registered for the Graco Snugride which is part of the travel system stroller. We thought that car seat would last us until a booster (we had registered for the Graco Argos and had gotten both of them. This car seat is forward facing from 20-70 lbs so we thought we were fine) ... Thanks to the ladies on here,  I became aware that we completely missed the whole idea of convertible car seats.  I did my research and we traded in the Graco Argos and are now proud owners of the Graco My Size 70 which rear and forward facing. This is the same thing as the Graco Size 4 Me at other stores. Happy shopping!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageSigir:
    We are rule breakers. I have a dd who is 8, and we are reusing her britax marathon seats even though they are past the 7 year rule. I also turned my older dd at about 1 and a half and I probably will for this dd as well. I have tall babies.

I'm not sure if you know this, but the reason car seats expire is because the plastic starts to deteriorate, compromising the safety of the seat (https://www.car-safety.org/faq.html#Q25).  I know this to be true because it happened to my sister.  Her oldest is about 7 years older than her youngest and she actually had a piece of the car seat break off in her hand as she was putting it in the car due to the plastic wearing down (It was also a Britax Marathon seat).

• I just got the Eddie Bauer XRS 65 (on sale at Target). I really like it so far but UGhhh I wish I could put LO facing forward already.. It's already around 108 degrees right now in AZ and the air conditioning takes a while to reach her :(..

Also, rear facing is SUCH a pain when you are using a convertible seat and no longer using the carrier. I have a two door coupe and now I can see why people get four doors when they have kids lol.. I've had this car since my 9 year old was about 4 years old so it wasn't a big deal getting her in and out but with a baby, yikes! I still plan to keep her RF until at least 2, but we will see..

• I think you'll really like the chicco nextfit. It should last you a long time with all the height adjustments they have. People are really happy with it. 

This may help you out a bit

https://mamasbabystore.com/chicco-nextfit/ 

• We switched to the britax marathon at about 7 months. We also have an evenflo symphony for MHs car that I actually like better!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"