March 2013 Moms

sip 'n' see

I am a previous poster on March 2013 but a family member I don't trust found me on the boards and so I needed to change my name so I can still complain about my in-laws.  :) 

Has anyone had a 'come meet the baby' party?  My MIL is hosting one and I'm not sure what to expect.  I'm just showing up on the day she picked.  Will all her friends expect to hold the baby?  I kinda want to wear her(moby) the entire time so she's not being touched/held by 20 strange women.  Would that be rude?  It would be different if it were family or my friends, but it's not.

Re: sip 'n' see

• I've never heard of this. I would end up wearing my little guy to something like that, if only he liked being in the moby. I don't think it's rude, our LOs are still so young we have to be more on the careful side.
  • They are pretty common from where I am from. It's usually older ladies [parents friends or church ladies typically] and baby tends to get passed around.

I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers holding my baby either but I do think it would be rude to wear your baby in that situation. Like the title, it's a sip and see, people expect to see the baby and probably want a chance to hold her or him. I don't normally have problems with a stranger here or there holding my baby but I can definitely understand your concern so I hope you aren't offended by that. I just think if you really don't want anyone to hold LO, you should have politely declined and explained why. Obviously it's too late so I would probably tough it out and deal with it.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm mean I would remind people you see with your eyes not your hands lol actually Im only mean in my head, I crack in actual situations.
  • imagelkm2006:
    They are pretty common from where I am from. It's usually older ladies [parents friends or church ladies typically] and baby tends to get passed around.

I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers holding my baby either but I do think it would be rude to wear your baby in that situation. Like the title, it's a sip and see, people expect to see the baby and probably want a chance to hold her or him. I don't normally have problems with a stranger here or there holding my baby but I can definitely understand your concern so I hope you aren't offended by that. I just think if you really don't want anyone to hold LO, you should have politely declined and explained why. Obviously it's too late so I would probably tough it out and deal with it.

Word for word what I wanted to say! Just remind ladies to wash hands. Also say that baby gets overstimulated and upset when passed too much so limit it to just a few ladies holding. You have to let people hold baby though, I think. My baby has been held by lots of people and she is FF and has never been sick. I think it's rude to not share especially when you're being thrown a party.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • imagelkm2006:
    They are pretty common from where I am from. It's usually older ladies [parents friends or church ladies typically] and baby tends to get passed around. I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers holding my baby either but I do think it would be rude to wear your baby in that situation. Like the title, it's a sip and see, people expect to see the baby and probably want a chance to hold her or him. I don't normally have problems with a stranger here or there holding my baby but I can definitely understand your concern so I hope you aren't offended by that. I just think if you really don't want anyone to hold LO, you should have politely declined and explained why. Obviously it's too late so I would probably tough it out and deal with it.

I declined the party politely but vehemently and received a phone call from my FIL yelling at me to stop being selfish and that "this party isn't about me it's about MIL and her friends."  I am trying to figure out how to balance my desires with my in-laws expectations.  I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions.  

• No advice, but your new sn is awesome lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagefindmenow:

imagelkm2006:
    They are pretty common from where I am from. It's usually older ladies [parents friends or church ladies typically] and baby tends to get passed around. I wouldn't want a bunch of strangers holding my baby either but I do think it would be rude to wear your baby in that situation. Like the title, it's a sip and see, people expect to see the baby and probably want a chance to hold her or him. I don't normally have problems with a stranger here or there holding my baby but I can definitely understand your concern so I hope you aren't offended by that. I just think if you really don't want anyone to hold LO, you should have politely declined and explained why. Obviously it's too late so I would probably tough it out and deal with it.

I declined the party politely but vehemently and received a phone call from my FIL yelling at me to stop being selfish and that "this party isn't about me it's about MIL and her friends."  I am trying to figure out how to balance my desires with my in-laws expectations.  I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions.  

Well that's annoying! They sound like a real treat. I think your screen name is hilarious by the way. In that case perhaps you could say baby hasn't had her shots so you don't want her to be passed too much (even if this is a fib) or that she has stranger anxiety? I wouldn't wear her in the moby because they still want to see but I would just limit the holding to you and MIL since it is truly about her, obviously.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Photo of the Remarkables mountain range in Queenstown, New Zealand.
  • Not saying you shouldn't let MIL hold her but it sounds like she would totally start passing the baby. I would say baby didn't take a nap and gets crabby when passed around.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I think I'll just share with MIL that DD gets fussy if she's passed around and it would be so nice if MIL could just hold her so everyone can see her without her getting cranky.  I may also try to plan DD's schedule so she goes down for a long afternoon nap an hour after the party starts.  That will give everyone time to see her and then she'll go to sleep while MIL and all her friends drink their faces off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"