August 2013 Moms
Options

Had a "growth" ultrasound today ....

I've had a couple of high BP readings (literally - 2) throughout my pregnancy.  I'm 31 weeks and my OB wanted to do an ultrasound to measure growth.  Found out baby weighs approximately 4 lbs 9 oz, which tech said was in the 79th percentile.

So, that means he's bigger than 79 percent of babies at this stage of pregnancy?  I'm wondering why this is useful information, since so many different factors can factor into birth weight (size of parents, etc.)

Anyone have any thoughts? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Had a "growth" ultrasound today ....

• Options
    I think it helps to give the doctors and other health care professionals an idea of what to expect come delivery time. For example, if they know ahead of time that baby may be 10lbs +, or something like that, they might approach things differently.
  • Options
    Did they tell you how big they think the baby will be?

I had the same test Friday and was in the 42nd percentile. They said baby should be between 7 and 8 pounds. My ob said if it looked like the baby was going to be over 10 pounds they might schedule me a csection.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

In my experience, these ultrasounds aren't all that useful. I understand the idea behind them, but they are often off by 2+ pounds in either direction. For example, I had one done at 37 weeks in my last pregnancy due to gestational diabetes. The baby was projected to be 8lbs by my due date. I was induced 2 weeks later and DS was 9lbs 11oz. On the flip side, a friend of mine was talked into an early elective c-section at 38 weeks after a growth ultrasound estimated her baby at over 10lbs. Her daughter was delivered at 5lbs 14oz. Quite the discrepancy. I wouldn't take too much stock in it. My midwife was much more accurate at estimating the baby's weight by feeling the baby. She guess 9 1/2 lbs...pretty close! If you've had some high BP's, your doc is likely just trying to see where the baby is at in the unlikely event that you develop pre-e or something and have to be delivered early. It's just a precaution.  

• Options
    I have one of these next week for the same reason.  I will be watching for answers.
  • Options
    I also had a few high blood pressure readings at the beginning of the pregnancy (last few though, including today, were 120/70 so whatever)  I had one growth ultrasound at 26 weeks, and I'll be having 3 more at 30, 34, and 38.  My doctor said they want to make sure that baby is growing.  She was in the 52% at 26 weeks, and everything has been right on track so I don't know if there is as much of a concern anymore but I love getting the chance to see her :)
    photo regina_zpsee0752b3.gif

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 mm/c at 12w1d

• Options
    I found with my last 2 that u/s measurements are almost useless and they were well off with both of my children. That being said, there is an error ratio that goes along with u/s growth scans. Not saying your baby won't be big, rather the results of the scan can be off.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options
    A single ultrasound isn't all that useful. They are more useful when you have serial ultrasounds. I've had ultrasounds every 4 weeks since 19 weeks. I'm 31 weeks and my kiddo weighed 3lb 9oz today. His abdominal circumference is a week behind his other measurements, which is new since my last ultrasound. He has also started to fall off his growth curve. This gives my docs good info to watch since we know what he has been measuring the last few ultrasounds.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Like others have said, these measurements tend to be pretty off so try not to take them too seriously. I had several with my last pregnancy because they thought he was going to be really big, and were threatening to do a scheduled Csection.
    My last one was at 37 weeks. They told me he was only about 6 pounds so everything was fine. He was born four days later, and was 7 lbs. 9 oz. May not seem like a big difference, but a pound and a half is pretty big when you're only talking about a few pounds.
  • Options

imagelexismom1008:
    A single ultrasound isn't all that useful. They are more useful when you have serial ultrasounds. I

Ditto this. A weight estimate based off of an u/s can be off by 2 pounds in any direction. One u/s to determine growth is essentially useless. Multiple u/s at set increments can help to see growth on a predictable curve, particularly when a growth restriction is a concern. 

I wouldn't worry much about what the doctor said. Kiddo could still gain a ton or have just completed a growth spurt. No one knows and induction or c/s for a suspected large baby is not recommended by the ACOG.  

DD1 4.14.10
    DD2 8.22.13
    MMC 1.4.17 at 16w
    Expecting #3, EDD 1.29.18

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My results were the opposite. I got a 28 week growth scan because of some chronic health issues and a few mild pregnancy issues. The head and chest were like the 810th percentile and the limbs were only 2 percentile. But she's supposable 2 lbs so they were encouraged about that. I'm only 5'1" so they dont expect her to be huge but my husband is 6 foot. Going back in a few weeks to rule out IUGR. Hopefully all these sonograms are more or less BS for both of us
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• Options
    I have them every 2 weeks and had one today. Ill be 30w tomorrow and she was a few ounces shy of 4lbs. Based on her weight gain every two weeks they are estimating her to be a 9lbder.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

It's just a statistical measurement. Most people don't really have a good grasp on statistics - it would likely only be alarming if your baby was measuring outside of one standard deviation of the mean (that's 15th to 85th percentiles). For sure if you're 2 standard deviations out, it raises alarms.

I'm measuring behind by fundal height, so I'm going for a growth u/s next week. Baby was 40th percentile at 21 weeks, so it will also likely be a cause for concern if she's dropped in percentiles a lot since then. 

• Options
    imagetokenhoser:

It's just a statistical measurement. Most people don't really have a good grasp on statistics - it would likely only be alarming if your baby was measuring outside of one standard deviation of the mean (that's 15th to 85th percentiles). For sure if you're 2 standard deviations out, it raises alarms.

I'm measuring behind by fundal height, so I'm going for a growth u/s next week. Baby was 40th percentile at 21 weeks, so it will also likely be a cause for concern if she's dropped in percentiles a lot since then. 

Yeah, this.

79th percentile is just another way of saying "totally normal." Unless there are other problems, your doctor is probably not going to be worried about anything other than <10th or >90th. And if you and your SO are particularly large, the high end might not even raise any eyebrows.

• Options
    I have my scheduled in two weeks. As people said they can be off by a pound each way. For my first one, the measurements were spot on. For my second they were off, but he was born a few weeks after the ultra sound, so don't know. The Mfm does all my measurements.
    I get them done bc I have asthma and they want to make sure baby is growing properly and getting enough oxygen.
  • Options
    I had mine today. He weighed in at a little over 4 lbs. I had a 10 lbs baby last time. My OB does not want a bigger baby...we had a tense few moments while I was pushing. This is servim g as her guide for induction vs letting me go naturally.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I too had some higher BP readings and at the previous US baby was at the 25th percentile so my doctor had concerns that the BP might be hindering her growth (along with the fact I have fibroids). I had the growth US at 26 weeks and after monitoring my BP three times a day for two weeks all is good. Baby is now at 52%. 

Because of a large fibroid though, I have another appointment scheduled at 30 weeks to ensure baby is still growing.  So I figure its better to see if there's anything going on (or not). 

• Options
    I'm having the same problem with my fundal height! At my 20 weeks us the baby was measuring a week ahead. Last week, at my 26 week check, my fundal height was only 23. Now they have me freaked out and I don't go in for my us until next Tuesday. Let me know the outcome!
  • Options
    I have to do the same thing at 32 weeks. He has measured in the 90th Percentile the whole time....big baby! Surprise
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"