February 2013 Moms

"Don't worry, its just allergies"

My MIL watched my little man so I could run errands alone (which I'm grateful for!). When I went to pick him up, my SIL was also there with her LO (11 months). My SIL saw me looking at her LO snotting everywhere and she says "dont worry, its just allergies"

Well! Guess who is snotting everywhere, sneezing has a little cough and super tired....my little guy. grrr don't patronize me and get my baby sick!

Last time her LO was sick (she thought her lo was throwing up from teething) she got 6 other people sick. Ugh is there a vaccine against other peoples ridiculousness?

Just needed to vent, that is all!

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: "Don't worry, its just allergies"

• MBush4MBush4 member
    We have a family friend whose kids we refer to as the petri dishes. They get EVERYONE sick and they're ALWAYS sick. I honestly don't think we've been around their kids when they HAVEN'T both been sick.... And the wife (DH and I have a hard time standing her because she's so fakely sweet all the time) always wants to have other people hold her kids; thus causing the spread of many viruses..

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• MBush4MBush4 member
    See, that is completely understandable, DC. I wouldn't feel so strongly about the people we knew if it wasn't something new each time and the wife wasn't the way she is....

Daisypath - (2EEx)

Lilypie - (CszI)

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry your LO is sick!  It totally sucks.  It really, really bothers me when other people aren't as courteous as I am and keep their kids home with they are sick.  Especially because I teach the three-year-olds class at church and the moms will still bring their kids even though they know I have an infant. It's like...I can appreciate that you need a break and some adult time, and I don't condemn anyone who wants to be at church, but...seriously?  I got my first cold PP just from holding a cheer meeting at the high school I work at.  None of the girls were sick, but I must have touched something and not washed my hands fast enough.  Keep your dang sick kids home!

DC, you strike me as the kind of person that if you said "It really is allergies," I would probably believe you because you knew what you were talking about.  And yet you even still are courteous enough to consider those around you.  Which is probably why I would believe you in the first place.  :-)

I was just thinking this morning about how many cases of illness would be eliminated every year if people just kept their kids home when they were ill.  Can you tell this really bothers me? 

• imageDC2London:
    imagejkuhmann:

I'm so sorry your LO is sick!  It totally sucks.  It really, really bothers me when other people aren't as courteous as I am and keep their kids home with they are sick.  Especially because I teach the three-year-olds class at church and the moms will still bring their kids even though they know I have an infant. It's like...I can appreciate that you need a break and some adult time, and I don't condemn anyone who wants to be at church, but...seriously?  I got my first cold PP just from holding a cheer meeting at the high school I work at.  None of the girls were sick, but I must have touched something and not washed my hands fast enough.  Keep your dang sick kids home!

DC, you strike me as the kind of person that if you said "It really is allergies," I would probably believe you because you knew what you were talking about.  And yet you even still are courteous enough to consider those around you.  Which is probably why I would believe you in the first place.  :-)

I was just thinking this morning about how many cases of illness would be eliminated every year if people just kept their kids home when they were ill.  Can you tell this really bothers me? 

I get really wound up about it, too, jkuhmann.  It bothers me to the point that I will keep Jack home if he has had a fever within 24 hours, even if I KNOW that fever is from teething and nothing else.

It's a major problem.  It drove me crazy when parents would send their sick kids to school, and then I would have 28 sick kids.  But, on the other hand, too many people have little or no paid sick leave and it can be a major financial hardship for a parent to take the day off to stay home with their sick child.  I empathize with that.  I don't know what the answer is.  People need to be more considerate, but we also need to fix the system so that they CAN be more considerate without having to worry about paying the heating bill. 

It's a tough issue. When my 2 year old is sick, she literally has a runny nose for 2 weeks because she can't properly get the crap out of her system. I try to sequester her during the first few days, and I often cancel play dates (or at least give the other mom the option of cancelling) if she has a cold, but am I really supposed to keep her in the house for 2 weeks just because her nose is running?  Once she starts school and I go back to work, there's no way I can keep her out of school for that long (nor would I want to). 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetiffanyp:
    imageDC2London:
    imagejkuhmann:

I'm so sorry your LO is sick!  It totally sucks.  It really, really bothers me when other people aren't as courteous as I am and keep their kids home with they are sick.  Especially because I teach the three-year-olds class at church and the moms will still bring their kids even though they know I have an infant. It's like...I can appreciate that you need a break and some adult time, and I don't condemn anyone who wants to be at church, but...seriously?  I got my first cold PP just from holding a cheer meeting at the high school I work at.  None of the girls were sick, but I must have touched something and not washed my hands fast enough.  Keep your dang sick kids home!

I get really wound up about it, too, jkuhmann.  It bothers me to the point that I will keep Jack home if he has had a fever within 24 hours, even if I KNOW that fever is from teething and nothing else.

It's a major problem.  It drove me crazy when parents would send their sick kids to school, and then I would have 28 sick kids.  But, on the other hand, too many people have little or no paid sick leave and it can be a major financial hardship for a parent to take the day off to stay home with their sick child.  I empathize with that.  I don't know what the answer is.  People need to be more considerate, but we also need to fix the system so that they CAN be more considerate without having to worry about paying the heating bill. 

It's a tough issue. When my 2 year old is sick, she literally has a runny nose for 2 weeks because she can't properly get the crap out of her system. I try to sequester her during the first few days, and I often cancel play dates (or at least give the other mom the option of cancelling) if she has a cold, but am I really supposed to keep her in the house for 2 weeks just because her nose is running?  Once she starts school and I go back to work, there's no way I can keep her out of school for that long (nor would I want to). 

my SIL watches my dd one day a week, and we have an understanding that if it is just a cold or allergies, we don't bother canceling.  Kids are going to catch colds. Now, with a little baby it is a bit different.  

• Are you sure she didn't truly think it was just allergies?  I suffer from severe allergies, and I occasionally can't differentiate between an allergy attack, and a cold.  E.g. Right now, I feel like I am having an allergy attack, but know it is a cold, because my mom had it last week.  

• imageholly321:

Are you sure she didn't truly think it was just allergies?  I suffer from severe allergies, and I occasionally can't differentiate between an allergy attack, and a cold.  E.g. Right now, I feel like I am having an allergy attack, but know it is a cold, because my mom had it last week.  

this! I would call your SIL and tell her you are giving a courtesy call. Tell her your LO has a cold and that she may want to treat her LO for a cold and not just allergies. At least it shows you want her LO to get the right treatment without your frustration coming across. With a small chance she may re-think her baby's "allergies" in the future.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageholly321:

Are you sure she didn't truly think it was just allergies?  I suffer from severe allergies, and I occasionally can't differentiate between an allergy attack, and a cold.  E.g. Right now, I feel like I am having an allergy attack, but know it is a cold, because my mom had it last week.  

this! I would call your SIL and tell her you are giving a courtesy call. Tell her your LO has a cold and that she may want to treat her LO for a cold and not just allergies. At least it shows you want her LO to get the right treatment without your frustration coming across. With a small chance she may re-think her baby's "allergies" in the future.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"