Trying to Get Pregnant

Antibiotics and TTC

Hello ladies, I'm conflicted and what to know what y'all think. This past week I've been on an antibiotic for a UTI. Today is my last day taking meds. According to my fertility sites I frequent, I should be ovulating on the 5th. I usually have a 30-34 day cycle. I haven't really BD due to being on the meds. But if I still have a slight chance, I would like to fit in some BDing the next couple days.

This is where I'm conflicted. The doctor says you can have sex while on these meds as long as I feel up to it and don't have any symptoms. BUT everybody (friends/family who deal with UTIs all the time) say to wait 2 weeks AFTER the meds to have sex. I really don't want to miss out this month because of a stupid UTI. What would you do?

Also, my chart is below. I'm pretty certain the high temps are from the meds. I have high hopes that I haven't O'd just yet. Thoughts on that as well?

May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Antibiotics and TTC

• I'd sit this one out probably. It's one cycle. Obviously, this isn't based on any medical advice or opinion. I'd just want the little lady back to normal and then start fresh next cycle. 

bfp 1 - m/c 1.31.11 @ 10 weeks

bfp 2 - baby born via c-section on 5.4.12 @ 37 weeks

bfp 3 - blighted ovum/d&c on 4.13.13 @ 8 weeks

bfp 4 - 3rd IUI, very late BFN with super low P, c/p

bfp 5 - natural bfp while on lupron, baby born via RCS on 4.27.15 @ 39 weeks

bfp 6 - surprise! baby born via RCS on 11.13.16 @ 38 weeks

• Antibiotics and illness can BOTH mess with your basal body temperature. I would be very hesitant to interpret a chart based on those factors. I personally with ditto what your doctor said - as long as you don't have obvious symptoms and feel fine, i can't think of why you wouldn't have sex. Antibiotics take effect really quickly and usually damp down an infection within 24-48 hours - so, at the most conservative, unless you have a kidney infection on top of a UTI, i would probably consider not having sex for the first 48 hours of therapy and then go to town ;)

This is, however, only my opinion as i am a veterinarian and NOT a human doctor. If you were a non-human, though, i'd be really helpful ;-P

Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm also on antibiotics for a UTI, my doctor didn't say I couldn't have sex either. I've also had a UTI in the past and I'm sure I didn't stop having sex then either so I don't see why you should have to wait 2 weeks. I know I myself  am not going to avoid sex for 2 weeks. DH would go crazy lol 
    Daisypath - (fpox)Lilypie - (cr8G)  Lilypie - (jTpT)Lilypie - (LZoT)
    Started Dating DH 09/03/2009 Married 07/01/2011 
    Surprise BFP 10/18/2008 EDD 06/19/2009 DS #1 Born 06/16/2009
    TTC #2 12/2010 BFP 05/15/2011 EDD 01/09/2012 DS #2 Born 01/11/2012
    DH adopted DS #1 06/25/2012
    TTC #3 06/2013 BFP 02/19/2014 EDD 10/30/2014 DS #3 Born 10/10/2014

• imagemcatmay:

If you were a non-human, though, i'd be really helpful ;-P

Damn, the one time I wish I was non-human! ;)

• This is my first UTI and I bought those D-mannose pills to take before/after sex when I do resume, because I definitely don't want another UTI ruining the month for me.

I guess a year of laying flat for at least 10 min. after BDing will do that to ya. Lesson learned!!!

• EmeJayEmeJay member

I had 2 back to back UTI in December because I was eager to not miss my window.

Looking back, it was stupid! I'd sit this one out. 

And FTR - my dr put me on one specific antibiotic for UTI (that I had a huge allergic reaction to) because she said that the other one that they usually give is bad for the lining. (Ciprofloxacin)

• I've been taking cranberry tablets since my UTI while TTC.  I am prone to them anyway and with all this awesome TTC sex, I'm even more likely to get one.  I take two cranberry tablets twice a day.  Just a suggestion for the future, especially if you're going to lay down for 10 minutes every time you have sex.  Lol.
  • Very interesting ladies! Let's hope I don't get another one ever again :) Thanks!
  • For health reasons, I'm on prophylactic antibiotics at all times to try and prevent UTIs. I alternate Bactrim DS biweekly with Macrodantin and I've been told by my High Risk OB, Transplant Team and Lead Pharmacist at the hospital that these are fine while TTC but that once I do actually get pregnant, we'll have to look at other options. Granted, if I was recovering from a UTI, I think I'd sit this one out for comfort reasons alone.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"