April 2013 Moms

Cradle cap?

What are your tips/tricks/advice for dealing with cradle cap? I just noticed little man has some, is there any way to really get rid of it? Or is it one of those things you just have to wait out?

Re: Cradle cap?

• This article seems helpful! Good luck! 

https://www.babycenter.com/0_cradle-cap_80.bc

(Sorry it's not clicky!) 

• Our pediatrician recommends head and shoulders!! I would never have done it with my first DS but its working so far with DS2. If you want to be more natural, California baby makes a cream called calendula that you can rub on leave for 10 mins then wash off with the same brand tea tree shampoo. That also worked for us but might take a little longer.
  • Loading the player...
  • leasajleasaj member
    I rubbed baby oil on head and let sit for 510 min before giving bath and washing hair. Then I used baby brush and brushed/massaged in all directions. Throughout day I would brush several times. Repeat following day. My LO was cleared up in less than a week but I caught it early
  • imageNandaB:
    My son had it. I rubbed gently with a washcloth during bathtime and the put baby oil on it. I used the soft baby brush to loosen it up. It went away pretty quickly.

Same here.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • elbouelbou member

imageleasaj:
    I rubbed baby oil on head and let sit for 510 min before giving bath and washing hair. Then I used baby brush and brushed/massaged in all directions. Throughout day I would brush several times. Repeat following day. My LO was cleared up in less than a week but I caught it early

This. My midwife also told me that you can use olive oil. Wish I had known that with my first two. I bought baby oil to get rid of their cradle cap, and that is the only thing I have ever used it for. Still have a whole bottle laying around almost 4 years after the last use, lol!

ETA: Don't try to wait it out. I think I missed some when I was trying to clear up DD2's and I'm convinced she still has it. :(

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageleasaj:

This is exactly what I did when DD was a baby and it completely cleared it up without using any chemicals on her little head.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS1 had it so awful. I rubbed baby oil in and let it sit for a maybe 15 minutes put him in the bath and washed with head and shoulders then I took a lice comb and combed out the dead skin, a few days of this and he has never had a problem with his scalp since.

Lucas 3.5.11
    Tyler 4.23.13
  • agytayagytay member
    Olive oil didnt work for me so I moved onto the Mustella line of products for newborns. Worked like a charm.
  • love4blove4b member
    Coconut oil also works. It's a natural anti-fungal.

• I used baby oil and a very soft bristled tooth brush. I put the oil on the bristles and massaged his head in small circles. Once the dead skin loosened up I washed his head with baby shampoo to remove the oil and loose flakes. Did this the following night as well and it is all gone. He did lose some of his fine baby hair in the process but I'm sure that was going to fall out anyway. Good luck.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"