Babies: 0 - 3 Months

would/have you taken baby to the movies?

I've never done it, but since DH is on paternity leave and DS goes to daycare during the day, we are itching for a movie date in the afternoon. I'm no where near close to leaving DD with anyone, so just curious if anyone has done this? My greatest concern is the sound level, however she sleeps through pretty loud church services. Thoughts?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com

Re: would/have you taken baby to the movies?

• I'd consider it for a romantic comedy or something, but not an action flick and definitely not a horror flick. Those are guaranteed to be louder.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageRunaway22:

I'd consider it for a romantic comedy or something, but not an action flick and definitely not a horror flick. Those are guaranteed to be louder.  

I was thinking the same thing... 

I'm going to school to become a midwife! 
    You can follow my journey here: http://midwife101.wordpress.com
  • Loading the player...
  • SkyBeeSkyBee member
    I would never do it. If baby cries, I would miss most the movie because it would be very rude to other viewers if you didn't leave.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We did it with My first when she was a few weeks old and still sleeping pretty much around the clock.
  • We went to a drivein theater so we didn't bother anyone and could tend to baby's needs

TTC 17 months, Dx: MFI (morph = 1,) Endo. Surprise BFP after HSG!
  • I'm not sure about the sound levels. My cinema does a bringing baby matinee where it's just parents and children and they have the lighting slightly higher and the sound lower.

You'd probably be better off letting your parents take your LO whilst you're in the cinema.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No, I pay 12 dollars to go to the movie, not to listen to your kid cry. I would never ever bring Ds to the movies until hes at least 2 or 3.
  • jefkjefk member
    AMC Theaters does a special "mommy and me" screening once or twice a month - it's during the day and they turn the sound down and lights up a little to make it more kid-friendly.  If I were you, I'd look for something like that, or find someone to watch the baby while you go out.  Nobody wants to pay $10+ for a movie only to spend it listening to a baby crying. 
  • =Lee=B=Lee=B member

I took my 10 week old to stars and strollers (baby and mom movies).  They had the lights on a bit more, had a change table out  and they claimed to lower the volume but it was really loud.  My daughter slept the first part but once she woke to feed I had to leave the theatre to get her relaxed enough to sleep.  Seriously EVERY time she was about to fall asleep in the theatre an action scene would start up and jolt her awake.  She is very easy going but she is also becoming very aware of her surroundings and I felt it was too much for her.

I missed most the movie.

I would not bring my baby to a regular movie as I would get little out of it and it would disrupt others.  The baby movies are an ok outing if you don't need to see every moment of the movie.

• imagemabenner1:
    No, I pay 12 dollars to go to the movie, not to listen to your kid cry. I would never ever bring Ds to the movies until hes at least 2 or 3.

This. Please do not bring your LO to the theater. It's rude to the other guests, and at $10-12 a pop, I would not appreciate having to listen to a baby cry.

• We have a dollar theater yo try and see. LO was intrigued at first but started crying 10 minutes into. I know not to waste more than a dollar now!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'd totally do it. But my baby is really chilled out.

Also, I've heard baby's crying in theaters. It has never ruined my theater experience. Of course I'm talking matinees were it is not crowded and the baby is several seats away.

I guess I wouldn't take DD to a packed theater.

• Some of our theaters have daytime showings for parents and small kiddos to go to. But they arent childrens movies. It's advertised for SAHMs to get out of the house. Check your thethere's for this. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We took DD1 twice when she was a baby to afternoon shows. We saw the final Harry Potter and Little Fockers. She slept almost the whole time, when she woke up I nursed her in the seat so she really didn't make a peep. I was fully prepared to leave if she started crying though. I agree with PP's that you shouldn't have a crying baby in the theater, it would be rude. But use your judgement, if LO is easygoing, I say go for it!

• I've read so much stuff about how awful exposure to television is I wouldn't take my baby to a theater until he was at least 2.  Also it's rude.  However, people tend to go to the movies less during weekday matinees, so maybe it wouldn't be super bad to take him then to a movie that had been out for a few weeks.
  • imageJenniD2:

imagemabenner1:
    No, I pay 12 dollars to go to the movie, not to listen to your kid cry. I would never ever bring Ds to the movies until hes at least 2 or 3.

This. Please do not bring your LO to the theater. It's rude to the other guests, and at $10-12 a pop, I would not appreciate having to listen to a baby cry.

This exactly. Find a sitter and call it a date night.

• We never did, but now that he's three months and awake a lot more, I'm wishing we had taken him when he was a newborn and sleeping all the time... You know your baby best and know whether she will fuss a lot. You can always sit close to the exit for a quick getaway!
  • imagemabenner1:

Ditto. 

• We just came from Fast and Furious. LO got shots today and we gave him Tylenol so I knew he would sleep through it. Put a burp cloth over his ears and left him in his carseat. He slept the whole time. Two weeks ago we went to the movies and I kept LO in my Moby wrap. He woke up once. I fed him, burped him and he went back to sleep.  It helps that we go in the middle of the day during the week when most people are at work.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageLtlAngL:
    We went to a drivein theater so we didn't bother anyone and could tend to baby's needs

That sounds like fun!
  • imageSkyBee:
    I would never do it. If baby cries, I would miss most the movie because it would be very rude to other viewers if you didn't leave.

ditto all of this.

I've been to the movies before where there was an infant there and I was so annoyed. The baby cried and made noise and though the mom did try to keep her quiet and bring her outside, she was up and down a lot, the baby was grunting while eating, burping, there was a lot of commotion, etc. 

I paid $11 for a ticket and I was ticked. 

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• imageLtlAngL:
    We went to a drivein theater so we didn't bother anyone and could tend to baby's needs

that's a great alternative!

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• I took my daughter to a Nitty Gritty Dirt Band concert when she was 6 weeks old. Wisdom? Maybe not but she slept through the whole thing.

These days, I haven't brought Little Man to the theater because going to a movie is like a date for me and hubby. I have left him with his sister though, she's 17 so she can watch him for a couple hours for us. But, if you know it's a time when she'll be sleeping, I don't see a problem with it, as long as you are proactive about making sure she doesn't cry during the movie. For me, this would mean having a bottle or breast ready for feeding in case the squirming and looking for food happened during the movie.

Also, hubby bought LO noise cancelling head phones to protect his hearing so I am not hesitant to sit in the front row at church or go to super loud places because I know we can protect his hearing if it is needed. (They were $20 and they are SO CUTE!)

• I don't plan on taking Jake to the movies until he's at least 2 years old and knows well enough to mind when I tell him to be quiet. Right now, I'd be too afraid of him disturbing other people with his crying, or me missing too much of the movie by leaving the theater to calm him down. We have a good friend in town who can watch him, so we plan on using her for date nights any time we really want a night to ourselves.

• I feel like all the movies I've been to in the last year or so have been pretty loud, I personally would not do it. My main reason would be that I don't care to buy tickets and then have baby not tolerate it and miss the movie.
  • I used to work at a movie theater when I had my daughter, and her "first movie" was Batman Begins when she was 2 months old. She slept through the whole thing, and I even nursed her in the theater. Another movie I brought her to, she started crying, so I left the theater until she calmed down, then went back in.

If the baby starts crying, do NOT sit there to try and calm him down. Just get up and leave. It is extremely rude to keep a noisy child in the theater when other people are trying to watch the movie. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it. Yes, there is a chance you'll miss half, or all of, the movie, but I really don't see any big issues if you're not selfish about it.

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • ALSO, if the baby stars fussing in the first 15 minute of the movie and you don't think he'll calm back down, you can always ask for a refund. Just be nice about it, and explain that you have to leave because the baby is fussy and you don't want to disturb the other guests. You'll probably be able to get your money back. But NOT if you sat there for an hour and a half before leaving. (just my experience of working at a movie theater. If you're nice about things, managers are usually more than willing to work with you).
    OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"