March 2012 Moms

XP: Anyone work 3rd Shift?

Hi ladies.  I've been mostly a lurker on this board for the past 15months. I think his is my first time posting here. But I really need some input/info/advice.

I've just been offered a full time RN position. Five nights a week, 11p-7A.  Really, the shift is the worst part about it.  Everything else about this job is awesome, and as a new grad RN I would be stupid to turn it down.  But I'm having horrible anxiety already about a daily schedule.  DH and I have already decided that we will utilize daycare for DD.  I will need more than just napping when she does, especially as I'm lucky to get a two naps out of her anymore.  

I'm curious as to how others who work this shift make it work with their LO's.  When do you sleep?  When do you see LO or DH? 

My first thought is this: DH will take DD to daycare in the morning.  I come home and sleep 6-8hrs.  I will pick DD up around 3-4. Then just spend that time with her until she goes to bed around 8.  I will leave for work around10/1015. 

That sounds like the easiest maybe? But I'm curious as to how others do it.  

TIA!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: XP: Anyone work 3rd Shift?

• I have a cousin who does it with 3 kids ages 416. Her hubby isn't terribly dependable so her mom fills in when he suddenly has to work. They make it work and I think she works that schedule by choice now.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • WipzWipz member
    I work days M-F, hubby works nights W-S ...and we have no day care. It's not easy .. some days are worse than others. but right now it works for us. Hubby is awesome and we definitely co-parent. In our situation we have to or it just wouldnt work. You really have to make a conscious effort to have family and couples time though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't have any experience, but I would anticipate something like you outlined.  The hardest part would be that you must carve out time for you and DH.  Good luck with whatever decision you make and please chat with us more :)
    image image

BFP #2 7/18/11 - EDD 3/29/12 - Born 3/13/12
    BFP #1 4/4/11 - Natural M/C - 7w1d - 4/30/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"