Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Clipping baby nails

I usually got help from my Mom when cutting my DD nails. I'd BF DD would fall asleep. My mom would support DD head while I try to slip out my arm so that I can clip her nails. Same procedure applies for the other side.

Would you share your tips?

Re: Clipping baby nails

• I wait until he is asleep. Today he is getting them clipped, has one too many scratches on his face.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • First time I cut my DD I began ALWAYS doing it the same way.  I still do this.  I put baby on one knee and hold and clip the other hand then switch baby to other knee and do the other hand.  That way I am clipping the nails in the same way I would clip my own.  I can see clearly and hold the hand well. 

So baby on my right knee, facing out, has me clipping nails on the left hand and vise verse. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • It might sound weird or gross but I've just been biting them off when he's nursing. He's occupied and doesn't really fight me. Plus I'm not scared about cutting his hands because you can feel the nails easier.
  • imageamcongdon:
    It might sound weird or gross but I've just been biting them off when he's nursing. He's occupied and doesn't really fight me. Plus I'm not scared about cutting his hands because you can feel the nails easier.

I haven't done this yet but it was recommended by a friend.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I haven't needed to clip them yet, I just file them with a small nail-file every other day and it works well for me and baby doesn't scratch herself.  She's only 12 days old though so I'm sure eventually I'll have to clip them when they get harder.  I never clip my own nails though, just rip them off or file them down, I don't know why I've just always done it that way.
  • I use baby nail scissors. I feel a lot more in control with them than clippers.
  • I use nail scissors and just lay him on the changing pad after a bath.  Sometimes he's too squirmy but most of the time it's fine.
  • i wait till shes alseep and i file them. im afraid il nip her if i use the clippers just yet shes only 2 n half weeks
    Amarie
  • tig594tig594 member
    I clip DDs when she is sleeping. No wiggles and it's sooo much easier.
  • I clip her nails right after she falls asleep from a feeding.

• imageLolalipsy:
    imageamcongdon:
    It might sound weird or gross but I've just been biting them off when he's nursing. He's occupied and doesn't really fight me. Plus I'm not scared about cutting his hands because you can feel the nails easier.
    I haven't done this yet but it was recommended by a friend.

I tried this as a recommendation from my mil but I find it harder then cutting.  Her nails are thin but are very pliable making them hard to bite.  I cut her nails when she is sleeping or nursing.    

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Instead of laying her head in your arm, lay her directly on a boppy while you BF, then use your two free hands to clip her finger nails. Switch nursing sides to clip the other hand.
  • imageRachelLaree20:
    I haven't needed to clip them yet, I just file them with a small nail-file every other day and it works well for me and baby doesn't scratch herself.  She's only 12 days old though so I'm sure eventually I'll have to clip them when they get harder.  I never clip my own nails though, just rip them off or file them down, I don't know why I've just always done it that way.

I do this too. It gets them really short! It works great 

Anniversary Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"