December 2013 Moms

Heavy lifting.

I've been looking through Google, but everything seems contradictory so Im hoping some of you can help me. Im a cashier so Im often lifting bags of dog food or boxes of cat litter throughout the day, and I thought heavy lifting was only restricted towards the end of the pregnancy, but I've gotten comments about not doing it now. Will it cause complications this early or is there reason for concern?

Re: Heavy lifting.

• This is probably something you should check with your dr. About. You usually don't have many restrictions but I'm not sure if there is a weight restriction. With my first preggo my dr said that it was fine to work out at the gym including weight lifting as long as I didn't do any serious hard core ab work outs... Definitely check in, not for anything but peace of mind.
  • imageairsica:
    This is probably something you should check with your dr. About. You usually don't have many restrictions but I'm not sure if there is a weight restriction. With my first preggo my dr said that it was fine to work out at the gym including weight lifting as long as I didn't do any serious hard core ab work outs... Definitely check in, not for anything but peace of mind.

What did your dr consider a hard core ab workout? 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She just said listen to your body, and don't over do it.  She specifically said to cut back on some of the ab work-outs.  
  • L RosL Ros member
    Ok I will Monday, thank you. =] Ik sure I will be fine, just started getting worried when people said I shouldn't be doing it! And like you said, listening to my body. =]
  • KateVAKateVA member
    If you were lifting it before, you can lift it now. It's more about not straining or lifting something that is heavy for you. For some women 30lbs is heavy, for others it's over 100lbs
  • I work with animals so part of my every day is lifting of animals and heavy bags of food. I haven't got to meet my doctor yet just the nurse who went over all the billions of brochures and what I can expect stuff and she told me I can continue to  do what I did before as my body is used to it but not to lift any heavier then I normally do. That being said as time goes on I am getting more and more nervous wrestling 100 lbs dogs and helping lift them. Im starting to minimize the crazy lifting when I can. I feel essentially worthless at work because our clinic policy is for me not to be around anesthesia or x-rays and that cuts out a big portion of my job which bums me out. I cant wait to meet my doctor so I can ask all my billion of crazy questions.

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • My doctor says 30 pounds for lifting. That being said I catered up until I delivered and lifted meat coolers. I did have problems with low fluid levels, so drink a lot of water.
  • L RosL Ros member
    imageamgreiman:
    My doctor says 30 pounds for lifting. That being said I catered up until I delivered and lifted meat coolers. I did have problems with low fluid levels, so drink a lot of water.

This is something I've been trying to work on because I suck at drinking water!!
  • You can lift what you are used to lifting. I am constantly lifting 40-90 lbs kids at my job and have done so through both my pregnancies. I'm used to it so it's not a strain on my body.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"