November 2012 Moms

Any fellow waitresses?

I recently started working 2 nights a week at a local restaurant. I got my first paycheck yesterday and am more than disappointed.

Starting rate is 4.00 an hour and for 8 hours worth of work I got 40 in tips. They combine tips and we get them with our paycheck in cash. According to my paystub I was supposed to get 50 in tips but only got 40.

8 hours of work and I got 65. I don't even feel like my time is worthwhile right now and I'm considering looking for a waitressing job elsewhere. Do you mind telling me how your checks and tips are set up and how much you make in general?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Any fellow waitresses?

• I am not a waitress....but if I saw my check and it was that small I wouldn't even bother...hope you find something better soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I serve 2 nights a week as well for a total of about 8 hours, I make $4.60 an hour or something, my pay checks are about $10-$20 a week aka nothing. I get to take my cash home the night I make it and its anywhere from $50-$120. 

You should definitely look elsewhere. Also curious, how many tables in your section and how many servers are on the floor at a time, that usually determines how much you make. 

• Loading the player...
  • I am not currently a waitress, but I have spent plenty of time in restaurants in the past. Honestly, I would never work at a place that pooled tips. I like to keep what I earned, and like PP said, bring it home with me that night. I feel like if you are a good server, some people recognize that and reward you with healthy tips. If I worked my a** off all night to get the best tips possible, I would not want to pool it with people who might not be working as hard, I would want to keep it.

As far as server's hourly wages and paychecks, those are almost always a joke. When I first started serving in AZ, the hourly rate was $2.18. I almost fell out of my chair when they told me that. It has since gone up since then, but I have had more $0 paychecks than a person can imagine from my years serving. I originally started serving in Oregon, and there (and a few other states) servers make the ACTUAL minimum wage. The switch to the low server wage through me for a total loop at first.

I would suggest looking for something different.

• I'm in a super small town. We have usually 2 waitresses and we don't have sections...we just take turns on tables. The owner bartends...probably making 5 to 10 drinks each weeknight and gets a 1/3 of our tips...
  • imagekarkissy09:
    I'm in a super small town. We have usually 2 waitresses and we don't have sections...we just take turns on tables. The owner bartends...probably making 5 to 10 drinks each weeknight and gets a 1/3 of our tips...

I cannot bold, but the fact that the owner gets any of your tips is BS! You definitely need to look elsewhere.

• Thanks for the input ladies! I gave my 2 weeks tonight. Such a relief!
  • I used to waitress for a few years back in college. We absolutely did not pool tips! Yuck! It would really depend on the night or what hours I was working, but I would make close to 100 on a great night, and 30 or so on a so-so shift. We would give a bit to the hostess and that was it. And the hourly rate was minimum wage, which I think at the time was around $8.00. If I were you, I would stay there for a few months to get the experience, if you can afford it, and then move on to another maybe higher end restaurant. I worked in a small Bistro type place, but I had many people who moved on to higher end restaurants. Including a best friend who still works there and makes over $30,000 a year working 3 or 4 days a week!
  • What kind of restaurant do you work in? I work in a Steakhouse.  Canada is a bit different.  I make $8.90/hr and shifts are usually 5 hours tops (Just work dinner).  I can make anywhere from $100-$200 in tips a night.
  • OP, is this your first serving job? If so, I'd start at a chain if you could. After that, it's easy to move around. If you can handle an Olive Garden on a Friday night, you can handle anything.

It's slow at first, but I never made less than 9/hr, even at first. Paychecks are a joke, pretty much just the server wage to cover taxes and a few extra dollars to cover the drive to the bank lol.
  • I waitressed for 4 years in college.  I also bartended for a year in college, then Saturday nights when I first started working out of college for about 3 years.  Just forget the paycheck.  All restaurants pay the minimum required by the state (in college I made $2.13/hour).  It's all about the tips.  You have to put in your time to get the good shifts, good sections, good tables.  No restaurant manager in their right mind would put a new server in their best sections.  You have to work your way up to it.  Waiting tables put me through college.  I didn't have help to pay bills, so I had to work on top of going to university full time.  I made $500-$700 per week when I was the lead server.  Be patient and you'll see the benefits!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"