August 2013 Moms

25 and pregnant

Most women are having kinds around 30 or 35 these days and that's how I wanted it to be. But it happened unexpectedly and here I am 25 and pregnant with my first child. I feel happy and I have a loving husband who isn't against having kids earlier. He is 32. But honestly I'm so tired of people looking at me like I'm crazy/my life is over and making 'she is so young' comments. It makes me feel like I'm 16 and pregnant. Is 25 really that early to have children? Because I don't feel like I'm missing out on something

Re: 25 and pregnant

• It's not too young if you have your life in order.
  • Im 22 and pregnant. I always get asked these questions.

Was it planned? No he is a loved accident though.

Well did you ever consider abortion? No. It wasnt the right choice for me.

I understand feeling judged. Sometimes i feel that way too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ppl will be ppl and do their talk. Just means they weren't as ready as you are at 25. I'm 28 and look quite younger than I am and I've wondered if ppl think the same about me, but whatever. It sounds like you're ready :D
  • I was 25 when I had ds and 27 with this one. My plan was to have my kids before 30 so im going good with my plan.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm 25 as well and my husband is 30. In our circle it's common to start a family around our ages so I don't get any comments. Honestly I think that if you have your life in order stable, healthy, loving relationship, financial stable, working on or finished your education etc. and are confident in your choice any age ,within reason, is fine.

ETA: Our ideal plan is also for me to be done having kids by 30 or 31.
    Me: 32
    DH: 37
    Married: May 24, 2008
    TTC #2 since: June 2020
  • I'm 23, married, and on my 2nd child. There's nothing wrong with being a young mom.
  • I think people's reactions are very different depending on where you live and who you are around. If you live in a big city and most of your social circle is collegeeducated, yes, you will get those comments. I was 26 when DD was born and even her pediatrician interrogated me about my age. I'm married, a homeowner, a PhD student. But in my social circle, I was married young and had kids young.

Don't worry about it. It's not young most places.

ETA: Here's an article written by a 26-yr-old woman in exactly this situation. Honestly, I find the whole thing very strange, but it is true that there are places where having a kid in your mid-20s is considered young. I live in Boston now, but I am from a very small town, where some of my school friends have kids already in middle school. So it feels surreal to be treated like a "young" mom walking around pregnant, holding my toddler's hand at age 29. Just laugh it off.

• Who cares what they think? I am 28 and having my third but I am also stable as well.
    imageimageimageimage

• I agree with PPs it does seem to depend on your social circle and to certain extent, your geographic location. I am 22 and DH is 26 and we have been married almost two years. In the groups we hang out with, having kids at our age is very common. In the area we live, it's more common to wait a little longer but I don't venture out enough to places where I would get those comments. I had more people making comments when I got married at 20 than now being pregnant at 22. Try not to let it bother you. People prioritize their lives differently and to some, having kids isn't a priority. If you and DH are happy and ready for this stage of life, then that's what's important.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Elizabeth Paige born 8/11/13
  • I dont feel like 25 is too young.  I am 33 and most of friends already had there kids in there 20s. 
  • kmr333kmr333 member
    I'm 35 and having my first. I wish I could have started a lot earlier. 
  • No not at all I was 24 when I had my first. I did get a lot of dirty looks when I was pregnant becuase I did look alot younger then 24. O well!
    Wife to Michael 5/25/02 
    Mom to Reilly 3/13/03 
    Mom to Ryder 7/26/13
    BFP 12/10/12
    Beta 12/12/12: 351 @16 dpo 
    Beta 12/17/12: 2999 @21 dpo 
    Beta 12/20/12: 7539 @24 dpo 

• 25-27 seems to be the age to start around here.  Unless you want to establish a  career for 10+ years before having children I think it's pretty common all over.  At 26 most people have graduated college, had stable good jobs for a few years and maybe even have a house.  Baby just seems to be the next step.

BabyFruit Ticker

IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/qpqv84.jpg[/IMG]

Patiently waiting for little brother!

• Haha, I'm 24 and having my 4th child, some people think we're crazy but others compliment us on how well we manage everything. We've been married for 4 years (practically had a baby every year) and we have a stable home and income. I don't judge others for the age they have children at, as long as they have the means to give them what they need and loving environment. 

Dylan Sophia 06.04.09 - Elijah Alexander 04.25.10 - 04.25.10 - Sullivan Thomas 09.06.11 - Calvin Douglas 08.06.13 - Baby GIRL Due 07.01.15!
    Elijah's Story: Embracing Elijah
    My blog: Midwest Chaos

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm 28 now, but we started ttc when I was 26.  DH and I felt that was the right time for us.

I know some very young 25 year olds, and some that are completely ready to have kids.  I agree with others, that it is really about maturity level and where you are in your life.   

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• I was 26 when I had my first. I am 30 now, and having my third.

For my current circle, I am very early in the having kids department. Most of our friends thought we were crazy early having kids.

Where I am originally from, we are definitely on the late side. Not many couples have children once they are in their 30s.

The difference makes me laugh. We do what is right for us.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• A sign of maturity is not caring what people think and not worrying about what other people think or say about your responsible life choices.

Maybe the comments are getting to you because you do not feel ready? Or because you will miss your young crazy days? I know plenty of young mothers who had children early and never let the words of others get to them, because they were confident in their abilities to parent.

One of my best friends is 5 years younger than me and she had her first child at 23. I don't remember her ever complaining about comments people made to her.

Anyway, don't worry about what people say.
     DS1 8/2011. DS2 8/2013.

• imageCelticWife:
    I was 26 when I had my first. I am 30 now, and having my third. For my current circle, I am very early in the having kids department. Most of our friends thought we were crazy early having kids. Where I am originally from, we are definitely on the late side. Not many couples have children once they are in their 30s. The difference makes me laugh. We do what is right for us.

i was going to say a similar thing.  Here people have babies later, I had my first child at 30 and it was still earlier then a lot of my friends and fsmily members.  I feel it doesn't matter what other people say... It is what works for you and ur fsmily. 

• I know what you mean. I am 24 (will turn 25 in October) and my fiance is 26. I have people look at me all the time too and I'm one of the first out of my friends to have a baby, but everything happens for a reason and you know what is making you happy. Plus I have realized people just stare in general when you are pregnant. No different than we all have when we weren't. You are at a perfect age :)
  • I had my first at 30 and I'm now 34 having my second. For my situation, this is what was right for me. Everyone is different. If your settled, happy and ready than no 25 is not too young.
  • I just turned 21 two days before I found out I was pregnant, and LO is due a week after DH's 25th birthday. The funny thing is we weren't trying and I used to joke around with him that I wanted to have a kid before he was 25! Crazy how that worked out.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm 24, and will turn 25 in July, my husband and I have been trying since I was 22, and we lost 3 babies along the way. I have never felt too young but I have had doctors tell me I am young as a way of consoling me about my losses which I always found irritating. Other than that no one says much.

Married 07/17/2010
    Diagnosed with PCOS 10/20/2010 
    TTC since Oct 2010 
    BFP #1 March 31st 2011 Due December 10 2011 
    Missed m/c discovered June 2nd 2011 at 12w4d
    D&C scheduled June 7th 2011 at 13w2d
    Found out our baby boy had Triploidy XXY through embryopathology
    BFP #2 September 28th 2011 Due June 8th 2012
    Missed m/c discovered November 20th 2011 at 11w2d
    D&C November 29th 2011 at 12w4d
    Found out our baby girl had Monosomy X through embryopathology
    BFP #3 April 24th 2012 Due January 5th 2013
    Betas falling on 04/26/12 Chemical Pregnancy
    RPL testing done, multi nodular goiters on thyroid discovered.

BFP #4 November 22nd 2012, Due August 5th 2013
    Betas: 17 @ 9dpo, 62 @ 11dpo, 124 @ 12dpo, 321 @ 14dpo 720 @ 16dpo 13,805 @ 23 dpo 
    First ultrasound at 6w3d, hb 122 bpm. 
    Second ultrasound at 7w3d hb 143 bpm 
    Third ultrasound at 10w1d hb 167-170 bpm 
    Forth ultrasound 12w1d hb 167 bpm 
    Graduated rpl program, moving on to regular ob! 
    It's a boy! 

Little man was born August 1st 2013, 7lbs 8oz and 20.5 inches long

• I think it depends on where you live. In Seattle, it is young. 

IMO - I think it is young. No scandalously young, but young.

If it makes you feel any better, I am 31 but people think I look much younger. Usually people think I am about 25, I had one women last week tell me she thought I was 20 and carded me (don't worry - I am not drinking) I was sitting down (so she couldn't see I was PG). 

But it has got me wondering - do people think I am 20 years old and PG? I guess they do!

Oh well, the people who matter (family, friends, etc) know my age and know DH and me. We have been married about 9 years, so most people don't ask if it was planned. Our families have been waiting a while for us to have a kid.  

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • imageMrsBlindLove:
    I'm 25 as well and my husband is 30. In our circle it's common to start a family around our ages so I don't get any comments. Honestly I think that if you have your life in order stable, healthy, loving relationship, financial stable, working on or finished your education etc. and are confident in your choice any age ,within reason, is fine.

ETA: Our ideal plan is also for me to be done having kids by 30 or 31.
    it is about a 50.50 split with our friends but I am 25 and hubby is 31. We want to be finished having kids by the time I am about 30 or 31 as well we have some friends that are like you guys are crazy but these are also the ones who don't want children. We waited to start trying until our lives were in order and just let fate decide. I see nothing wrong with it and agree atleast you are not 16. I rather be a younger parent then an older one personally. But that's just MO.
  • I'm 25 and pregnant but I apparently look like I should still be in high school and I've had people ask me how old I am. Some people are even judgmental because DH is 10 years older than me. It doesn't bother me at all, I really couldn't care less what other people think. I know what's right for me and my family and that's all that matters.

• imageMonkey1515:
    Most women are having kinds around 30 or 35 these days and that's how I wanted it to be. But it happened unexpectedly and here I am 25 and pregnant with my first child. I feel happy and I have a loving husband who isn't against having kids earlier. He is 32. But honestly I'm so tired of people looking at me like I'm crazy/my life is over and making 'she is so young' comments. It makes me feel like I'm 16 and pregnant. Is 25 really that early to have children? Because I don't feel like I'm missing out on something

25 is actually the average age in the US for the first pregnancy.  

image image

• I'm 23 and I'm having my 5th and 6th kids. I started young.
  • I'm 25. No one really says anything to me about it, but that may be because i do enough of it myself. Everyone seems to be very supportive, i just freak out sometimes wondering if i'm capable and i'm ready. I'm very excited, I dont feel as if I'm missing out on anything either.
  • I am also 25, but I'll be 26 in July. DH is 34. In our circle, we are considered "young" to be having children. Well, I guess I am since DH is in his mid-thirties. Some of my friends looked at me like I'd grown a third eye when I told them I was pg.

But, my life is much more stable than theirs--DH and I have have pretty great careers at our respective companies, have been married for over two years, we have a large living space, etc.

A lot of those friends are still in the party mentality, unemployed, or trying to finish school, so I know they wouldn't be ready but I feel we are.

And at work, I know people sometimes will give you dirty looks. I've even been asked "Shouldn't you be at school right now?" Lol! Someone thought I was in high school.

If it works for your family, don't let others get to you. 

• 25 is not early to have kids. I have multiple friends who were ? by choice ? DONE having two or three children by 25. All it means is that they will be done with child rearing earlier in their life. Sure, there are things that you might not get to do in your 20s that you wanted to, but in the end, it's worth it (in my opinion). And screw what people say/think. Everyone has an opinion these days, but that doesn't mean they all have to matter ;-)
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Photobucket
    Caleb Jonathan
    Born November 30, 2011

The Winking of an Eye
    A blog about the mommyhood, wifehood and lifehood of a misplaced Minnesotan in SoCal
  • I was 22 when DS was born, and will be 25 in a few months when DD is born. I had lots of looks, comments, and questions. My friend who I hadn't seen in awhile saw me while I was pregnant with DS and asked me what was I thinking I'm going to ruin my life.. I told him that was BS, I'm married and happy. I also had the lady who was doing my blood tests make a comment saying I was so young. I told her I wasn't a teen and my life is in order, does that make it so wrong? You have to take everyone's comments with a grain of salt because random people obviously don't know you. If you are happy with your decision and your life is where you want it to be then screw the people who make their comments! Your not THAT young.
    photo df19160f-bf4d-4b1a-aa18-f922c7344247.jpgphoto 6650edf4-b52e-4beb-a3cd-6bdc9480c61c.jpg
    ~may siggy challenge~

photo IMG_20140501_070346.gif photo IMG_20140501_071323.gif
  • imageWashingtonQueen:
    It's not too young if you have your life in order.
    LOL this.

I'm 25 and DH and I both have degrees and great careers. I'm confused about the intent of this post.

Everyone is different and we are all at different points in our lives no matter age.
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • dmwbqbdmwbqb member

imageMrsBlindLove:
    I'm 25 as well and my husband is 30. In our circle it's common to start a family around our ages so I don't get any comments. Honestly I think that if you have your life in order stable, healthy, loving relationship, financial stable, working on or finished your education etc. and are confident in your choice any age ,within reason, is fine. ETA: Our ideal plan is also for me to be done having kids by 30 or 31.

ditto to all of this!  

• Flaunt it and continue to be fabulous! Everyone is going to have an opinion but the only one that matters is yours! People can say the same thing about being 45 and preggers. Enjoy sweetie!
  • 25 is not too young I'm 22 and pregnant with my first baby! Its all up to you how you feel, who cares what other people think.
  • I'm also 25 and I've been with my husband for 7 years. I have a career and a college degree as well. 

I feel like I'm actually way behind most people I went to school with. A lot of the girls I grew up with already have multiple children.

Honestly I feel like the average age of a mother these days is 21.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Me and my husband are both 25 and I couldn't be more excited to start having kids at this age. A lot of people actually say its a nice age to have kids, people will always have something to say so just enjoy it!
  • No. It's not too young. A lot of people are now having kids in their 30s because they want more time to focus on careers and such. But that's their choice. My choice was to start trying when we both decided to settle in one place and had jobs with insurance. This was when I was going on 24. I got pregnant a couple weeks after my 24th bday. It was no big deal. It's not too young and she's had everything she's ever wanted or needed. PLUS.. DH and I have never been big into the "party scene".. so no, definetly not missing out there.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageBlueJewelM:
    A sign of maturity is not caring what people think and not worrying about what other people think or say about your responsible life choices. Maybe the comments are getting to you because you do not feel ready? Or because you will miss your young crazy days? I know plenty of young mothers who had children early and never let the words of others get to them, because they were confident in their abilities to parent. One of my best friends is 5 years younger than me and she had her first child at 23. I don't remember her ever complaining about comments people made to her. Anyway, don't worry about what people say.

I mostly agree with this.  I had my first at 24 (I wanted to be done by 30 as well) and I will be having my last right before I turn 32.  In my area 24 is young, but it didn't matter.  I owned my own place, had a good job, savings, and childcare lined up. Strangers don't know you, or your situation, if their comments bother you, then maybe it is for a reason...

That said if its the third person in the same day to ask "was this planned?" they MIGHT have gotten an eye roll from me, but I get sick of people asking me the same question over and over again, no matter what the subject happens to be!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I'm 26 and haven't gotten a SINGLE comment on being too young. 
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"