April 2013 Moms

Let's talk poop

LO is 4 weeks old, and yesterday only had 1 poppy diaper, it was a big full one, and so far today hasn't had a poopy one. Should I be concerned, I'm BF and supplementing with formula in the last week. Could the formula be causing her to poop less?

Re: Let's talk poop

• In my experience DS has pooped alot less on formula than when he was on breastmilk.  He only has 1-2 poopy diapers a day now.  I wouldn't worry.  I believe my Pediatrician said it is normal for LO's to go a day without pooping. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kgs0505kgs0505 member
    Eventually they all stop pooping every diaper, or several times a day.  So, no, I wouldn't be concerned that there are fewer poopy diapers.  Formula can cause constipation, especially early on, due to the iron in the formula.  But formula by itself doesn't keep baby from pooping frequently.  Keep an eye out for signs of constipation, grunting, straining, crying or fussyness that seems to be from pain.  If LO is constipated, check with your pedi about what to do about it.  But I personally wouldn't worry until at least 2 full days have gone by without a poop.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Loading the player...
  • We EFF and LO hasn't pooped since Tuesday morning. =/ This is like one day longer than her norm but she can easily go a couple days between poops
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • leasajleasaj member
    I can't offer any help with this. My LO has a dirty diaper EVERY change. She goes so much that the acid from her poop has given her a rash.
  • Our ped said it's normal for babies around this age to start going several days without pooping.  Sometimes even as long as a week!  He said as long as LO doesn't seem constipated (distended tummy, pain, etc), and that the poop is abundant when he does go, there's nothing to worry about.
  • My LO has stopped pooping so much and we EBF. But, he grunts and fusses all day long and when he poops it looks just like it did before- clearly not constipated poop. Pediatrician said something about grunting baby syndrome (what? I might have heard that wrong) where he's tightening everything and then trying to push the poop out while it's all tightened shut. So, we have been bicycling his legs, and trying to push his legs up into a squatting position when he grunts. It's helping slowly but surely. Someday it will be a funny story, right?
  • imageAliSarah:
    My LO has stopped pooping so much and we EBF. But, he grunts and fusses all day long and when he poops it looks just like it did before clearly not constipated poop. Pediatrician said something about grunting baby syndrome what? I might have heard that wrong where he's tightening everything and then trying to push the poop out while it's all tightened shut. So, we have been bicycling his legs, and trying to push his legs up into a squatting position when he grunts. It's helping slowly but surely. Someday it will be a funny story, right?

This is pretty much my LO to a tee! Although i have never heard of grunting syndrome!

"I won't give up on us, even if the skies get rough, I'm giving you all my love, I"m still looking up."
    TTC #1 since August 2011 MFI Diagnosis - April 2012
    IVF #1 - July 2012 - Stims start 7/2, ER 7/12, 20 retrieved, 16 mature, 13 fertilized!
    ET - 7/17 - 1 blast transferred. Beta - 7/26 273, Beta 2 7/30 - 1143. Beta 3 8/6 - 11,597
    12/25 - Santa tells us "IT'S A GIRL!" EDD - April 4th

Our Little Easter Bunny has arrived!

Molly Mildred born 03/31/13

TTC A Sibling....... FET #1 11/14/14, Transferred one beautiful blast

Remaining four frosties arrested due to "embryologist error"

Plllllleasssee stick little icicle.....Beta 11/23...BFN

Starting ALL over with a fresh IVF cycle

Stims start 11/28/14, ER December 10th, 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, only 4 fertilized 

1 Blast Transferred on December 15th..... Beta Christmas Eve... Please Santa, bring me a baby!

Beta #1 345.....Beta #2....750/ First U/S 1/13/15/HB 131....EDD 9/2/2015

• imagestarlightstef:
    Our ped said it's normal for babies around this age to start going several days without pooping.nbsp; Sometimes even as long as a week!nbsp; He said as long as LO doesn't seem constipated distended tummy, pain, etc, and that the poop is abundant when he does go, there's nothing to worry about.

This. Our Lo stopped having poops every change an now goes up to 4 days between poopy diapers. We are BFing with formula supplementing. As long as its not hard or pebbles when they go, they aren't constipated.
  • Did you cut off the breast milk cold turkey and go straight to formula? Are you giving formula only? Or a combo of formula and breast milk? We started supplementing as well but are mixing it with breast milk to slowly get him used to the change. This must be helping b/c we have had no issues with his diapers. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"