December 2013 Moms

Struggling With Body Image

I hope I don't get flamed for this. I am just over 10 weeks, and have really been struggling with body image. I was about 25 pounds overweight most of my life, and finally got to a healthy, happy place through a lot of hard work WMD healthy choices about 5 years ago. Since becoming pregnant I have gained about 15 pounds. My 4-5 times a week exercise routine is down to 1-2 on a good week because of exhaustion. But, I (thankfully) have had no morning sickness and am hungrier than ever. I really have been eating too much junk. I get it under control for a few days, then fine myself craving and eating junk again. I hate how nothing fits me. I think I am disgusted with myself about this to a point that is abnormal. I really am thrilled to be pregnant and try to focus on the baby. But I also know how great healthy eating and exercise is for the baby and how bad the weight gain can be. I guess I am just wondering if anyone else struggles with this or has any suggestions?  Sorry for the typos. The iPad drives me crazy sometimes! 

Re: Struggling With Body Image

• Hi. We're the same person apparently. Nice to meet you, other me.

This is how I am. I know me and my elliptical have to get back together but I've gotten complacent and I just glare at it. I know the things I need to do. I can voice them. Doing them... different story. And it doesn't help that my twin just lost 20 pounds while I gain weight like crazy. Or that my father keeps reminding me that if I don't "get it together" I can add holding the baby weight onto my already slightly larger than I should be frame.

Fun times. We share a boat, though. I feel ya.
    photo 40249f87-83df-48da-9fbb-1ccf1e0e5624_zps8e8080d9.jpg Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You're not alone in the struggle with body image issues.  I was overweight/obese most of my life.  In the past 3 years I have lost 75 lbs through diet and exercise so I am finally in my healthy weight zone.  I was a very healthy eater, rarely ate junk food, and worked out 4-5 times a week.  Since becoming pregnant, my m/s and food aversions have caused me to only be able to handle junk food.  I have to search for what sounds appealing and 9 times out of 10 it will be some kind of fatty, starchy meal.  Plus I keep having to eat to keep the nausea at bay.  Feeling so sick and exhausted has also kept me from working out.  I feel my clothes getting tighter and see my weight going up a bit and I feel so disappointed in myself.  I just keep telling myself that 1st trimester is about survival and I will get my eating under control when I feel better but I worry I am not going to be able to do that.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am just like you. When I got pregnant with my first I was on the better end of 40 lbs. Now the difference is, I gained 31 lbs and lost it in 9 months. But we are the same in this- I knew how to fix the problem because I had done it once already. You need to focus on the road ahead now and fix any mistakes you know you have made. Also, be aware that some women just gain weight during pregnancy even if they are very very careful. You will probably be a little uncomfortable from not fulfilling the cravings, but be aware of the needs of your body and fulfill those. ('Snickers isn't a need', I say to myself)

And always remember that your baby needs you to look beyond yourself right now. I was too focused on my body and was not careful about my food intake, and because of it I was not very healthy and had a very hard time nursing after he was born. So try to balance it. Hope I didn't confuse you. You can do this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hello, so this is my first time posting but I just had to since this is exactly how I feel. A couple years ago I lost 40lbs and then over the last year we had to do IVF 5 times in order to finally conceive! So don't get me wrong...i'm ECSTATIC that i'm finally pregnant after 4 years of struggles. But the IVF meds (and restrictions on exercising for most of the last year due to IVF as well) already caused me to gain 15lbs back as it is and now i've gained another 6lbs and am only 12 weeks. It's very hard since no healthy food sounds appetizing and i'm just too exhausted to workout but i'm determined to start this weekend!! Let's see how this goes.

But I feel exactly how you do so don't feel bad. Maybe we can support each other somehow over the next 7 or so months!

• I have also been grappling with body image. I spent most of my childhood and teenage years overweight, then fought hard through college and after to maintain better health. I had just dropped down to my lowest weight ever when I got pregnant. I've completely fallen out of my exercise routine (which was running 3X a week, up to 5K a session and running 5Ks on weekends). My clothes aren't fitting and it's hard not be reminded of my overweight body. I try to encourage myself by saying "this isn't a fat body, it's a pregnant body." Then, instead of being hard on myself for what I *haven't* accomplished (and boy oh boy, is there a lot that's fallen through the cracks lately) I try to focus on the good things I do, like when I manage to eat some healthy proteins or veggies, or when I go for a walk at night instead of crashing on the couch. Ultimately you have to be in the right head space before you can properly motivate yourself to get back into physical activities and healthy habits; it's hard, but I try to focus on the positive.

My hope for all of us is that 2nd trimester will get back some of that lost energy and the motivation to exercise comes back. Hang in there!

• I definitely understand where you are coming from. I struggled big time with body image with my first pregnancy. I gained over 60 lbs (and delivered over a month early-no correlation) despite doing everything right. After I gave birth I worked and was able to lose the weight. Seeing that really helped with my last pregnancy and this one. I just try to remind myself now that this gain is temporary (and not always under your control). As long as you are doing your best to be healthy, then don't stress about it.

As for the craving junk food, I've been told every pregnancy not to worry about it in the first tri. You just eat what you can eat. Eat healthy when you can, but again, don't make it stress you out. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • esf60esf60 member

Don't worry, many of us are right there with you. I struggled with being overweight, followed by an eating disorder for a long time, and have managed to maintain a healthy weight for many years, so this weight gain is pretty scary to me.

It's good to figure out when you have the most energy (for me, it's early in the morning) and try to get your exercise in then. I bought a prenatal yoga DVD, not high intensity, and on my really tired days, i try to do that for just 15-30 minutes so I feel like I've at least done something. Even if you're not losing weight, which shouldn't be the goal, just moving and getting your blood flowing will make you feel better. I also don't allow myself to indulge in every craving anymore like I did in the beginning of my pregnancy when I felt like crap. Try those things!

• You're not alone! Glad I'm not either! My weight has fluctuated constantly since my senior year of high school when I dropped some 40 pounds. I've already gained about 12 pounds (I'm only 11.5 weeks) and I wasn't at my healthiest/fittest when I got pregnant, so I've been miserable about that. I've recently been able to reintroduce fruits and lean proteins back into my diet, but I still have a couple of oreos if it's what I want. I ate an entire bag of chips between yesterday and today (my rationale: half the bag is air! of course I ate it all!) I just keep telling myself that it's temporary and I can get rid of it after baby gets here. I know my body won't go back to 100% what it was before getting pregnant, but getting back in shape won't be impossible. I've done it before. Just take it one day at a time and try to eat consciously. If you let yourself get hungry, you'll cram the first thing you see into your mouth. Anticipate your hunger and reach for some carrots and hummus while you decide what you want for each meal.
  • I really had no idea so many people felt this way. Maybe because none of my IRL friends seem to have this issue. I already feel a lot better just knowing a lot of people go through this. I actually just finished a good talk with H about this. He agreed to ge up before work with me acfewcdays a week to work out since that is when I have the most energy. We also made a fruit salad together. I really love how supportive everyone who responded here was about this and hope we can find a way to support each other through pregnancy and after when this is a whole other issue!  

• It's nice to see so many people in a similar boat.  I lost 12 pounds in the 6 months before I got pregnant, and it's hard to see it start to come back on.  The good news is that I still have clothes that fit, though they're getting snigger by the day.  I'm trying to keep an exercise routine, but I'm really trying not to overdo it.  Now that I'm moving out of first tri, I'll try to get back into it, but I can't let myself get too worried about weight gain.  I worry about this, though.  It doesn't help that DH is super skinny.
    photo canthearyou_zpsae132d4c.jpg
  • I was so happy to see that others out there are dealing with this issue too! I am a LapBand patient who has lost over 120 lbs since December 2010. I am struggling with the junk food, needing to snack to keep nausea and heartburn at bay, pants not fitting AT ALL, etc. I am 12 weeks and I've already put on 8 to 10 lbs since my BFP! I'm just really thankful for this post today cause I've been in need of support! Thanks ladies for letting me know that I'm not alone in this struggle :
  • imageJackieK11:
    Hello, so this is my first time posting but I just had to since this is exactly how I feel. A couple years ago I lost 40lbs and then over the last year we had to do IVF 5 times in order to finally conceive! So don't get me wrong...i'm ECSTATIC that i'm finally pregnant after 4 years of struggles. But the IVF meds and restrictions on exercising for most of the last year due to IVF as well already caused me to gain 15lbs back as it is and now i've gained another 6lbs and am only 12 weeks. It's very hard since no healthy food sounds appetizing and i'm just too exhausted to workout but i'm determined to start this weekend!! Let's see how this goes.nbsp;But I feel exactly how you do so don't feel bad. Maybe we can support each other somehow over the next 7 or so months!

Welcome! I did ivf three times over the last two years and gained 35 pounds from the meds... This is my third baby and my other two are teens. I am a little behind you at 10 weeks. It is so exciting that it finally worked! On the downside I just transferred over to the ob and they referred to me as a mature mother... Glad to see a fellow ivf'er!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I lost 25 pounds before getting pregnant. I cringed when my doctor told me to gain 25 to 35 pounds and absolutely no less than 20. It's difficult to change your mindset to it being ok to gain weight when for so long the opposite has been the goal. I just think about how much weight I will hopefully lose breast feeding.
  • imageScarlett1108:
    imageJackieK11:
    Hello, so this is my first time posting but I just had to since this is exactly how I feel. A couple years ago I lost 40lbs and then over the last year we had to do IVF 5 times in order to finally conceive! So don't get me wrong...i'm ECSTATIC that i'm finally pregnant after 4 years of struggles. But the IVF meds and restrictions on exercising for most of the last year due to IVF as well already caused me to gain 15lbs back as it is and now i've gained another 6lbs and am only 12 weeks. It's very hard since no healthy food sounds appetizing and i'm just too exhausted to workout but i'm determined to start this weekend!! Let's see how this goes.nbsp;But I feel exactly how you do so don't feel bad. Maybe we can support each other somehow over the next 7 or so months!
    Welcome! I did ivf three times over the last two years and gained 35 pounds from the meds... This is my third baby and my other two are teens. I am a little behind you at 10 weeks. It is so exciting that it finally worked! On the downside I just transferred over to the ob and they referred to me as a mature mother... Glad to see a fellow ivf'er!

Hi Scarlett1108! Thanks for the welcome and it's nice to have someone that understands IVF and the weight gain associated with it....it definitely takes a toll on your body so i'm curious to see what I end up with after this baby on top of the IVF gain!! This is our first baby and most likely only baby unless one of our frosties(2) end up working in the future. There's no way I can put my body through IVF again and moreso there's no way we will be able to come up with $25k again! Mature mother?! That's an interesting label?! Well hopefully all of us can get through the next 7-9 months without having too much of an issue. I'm hoping to feel better soon and today I have been eating much better than I have been over the past 13 weeks so it's a start! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"