January 2013 Moms
Options

Dog behavior problems

Our 6-year-old shepherd/lab/pit mix is suddenly eating anything that smells like the baby.  So far he has destroyed and at least partially ingested a poopy diaper, a pair of pants, two onesies, and a blanket (a cheap store bought one, thank goodness). The behavior seems strictly limited to her stuff. Anyone know what this means?  Should I be worried?  Advice? (I've forgotten how I got him to quit eating shoes when he was a puppy.)

P.S. I'm sure he could use more exercise, but right now a 2-mile jog 3-4 times per week is all I can manage to give him.  He gets plenty of attention and sleeps in our room (and frequently on our bed!).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Dog behavior problems

• Options
    Not sure I can be of much help either.  Similar to pp my dog tends to target the feminine hygiene products or Kleenex.  I have found that with lots of exercise she is much better.  I try to take her for at least one, one hour, walk every day.  Two really Tucker's her out though.  DH also bought  roller blades and takes her for a good run a couple times a week.  She now hates when he puts the rollerblades on because she is exhausted when she gets back.  I try to make sure she gets a different chew toy each day, I just rotate them, so it's a bit of different stimulation for her daily.  Good luck, and if you find a solution please share.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Dogs are attracted to scent, especially the scent of their favorite people. They love feminine hygene products, thongs, bras, licking bed sheets, etc. Yes it is disgusting and it is a hard habit to break. I suggest keeping these things out of the dog's reach and giving him something else to gnaw on. Maybe a kong with a treat inside until he gets past this.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Like PPs have said this one is a tough one. He's choosing baby items because he likes the baby and wants to spread her scent around him... the reason many dogs chew the dirty socks and underwear of their owners.

Also like was mentioned you are doing GREAT with the exercise! Way better than I'm doing at this point! My best advice would be to try to keep baby items away from your dog and get back down to the no-chew basics that you do for puppies... when you catch your dog in the act of chewing something inappropriate calmly take it from him and redirect the chewing to an appropriate chew toy. It's important to always replace the taken item so the dog doesn't get frustrated or learn to hide his chewing from you. Offer his chew and play with him at other times too, not just when he's being 'bad', so he doesn't associate the two.

Good luck!

• Options
    Thanks all, great suggestions. Makes me reassured that he's doing it because he likes the baby. I haven't been giving him any good chewing alternatives, so that is my next step.
  • Options
    imagetrombgirl:
    Like PPs have said this one is a tough one. He's choosing baby items because he likes the baby and wants to spread her scent around him... the reason many dogs chew the dirty socks and underwear of their owners.Also like was mentioned you are doing GREAT with the exercise! Way better than I'm doing at this point! My best advice would be to try to keep baby items away from your dog and get back down to the nochew basics that you do for puppies... when you catch your dog in the act of chewing something inappropriate calmly take it from him and redirect the chewing to an appropriate chew toy. It's important to always replace the taken item so the dog doesn't get frustrated or learn to hide his chewing from you. Offer his chew and play with him at other times too, not just when he's being 'bad', so he doesn't associate the two.Good luck!

Totally this. Get a basket to fill with chewies a d kong toys and balls if he likes to fetch. Giving him alternatives sulk help. Also get him out to play daily. It will help even if its just fetch or tug. Redirect him into positive begs opts. It's like training a toddler. Positive reinforcement and redirection!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"