June 2013 Moms

Delayed cord clamping

Anyone know benefits on doing this ?

Re: Delayed cord clamping

• google it.

• imagebrandilc84:
    google it.[/quote

This.

I asked my midwife about this and she agrees that it's highly beneficial for baby. She told me if I wanted it done to just let my delivering physician know if it wasn't her.
  • Loading the player...
  • My OB just discussed new research on this with me because we were interested in doing it. The newest research that came out early this year from the National Board of Pediatrics suggests that it is really only beneficial for premies not full term babies. Not that it will necessarily have a negative affect it just isn't beneficial. It is beneficial with premies because the often have brain bleeds and are more likely to have jaundice and the extra blood can help with both situations. Do your own research but make sure you are looking at up to date research! If you look at stuff from the fall of last year it is going to suggest differently... 
  • From what I've read babies benefit from this because it gives them an additional 30 to 35 mg if iron especially for babies who will be breastfed since breast milk has a lower iron count than formula it's amazing how waiting 3to5 min before clamping the cord can do this for our babies.

It seems the benefits out weight the risks.
  • imagemegandchase:
    My OB just discussed new research on this with me because we were interested in doing it. The newest research that came out early this year from the National Board of Pediatrics suggests that it is really only beneficial for premies not full term babies. Not that it will necessarily have a negative affect it just isn't beneficial. It is beneficial with premies because the often have brain bleeds and are more likely to have jaundice and the extra blood can help with both situations. Do your own research but make sure you are looking at up to date research! If you look at stuff from the fall of last year it is going to suggest differently...nbsp;

I will speak to my ob about this thanks for the feedback !
  • imagebrandilc84:
    google it.

Seriously.

Here let me help you: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=delayed+cord+clamping

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagemegandchase:
    My OB just discussed new research on this with me because we were interested in doing it. The newest research that came out early this year from the National Board of Pediatrics suggests that it is really only beneficial for premies not full term babies. Not that it will necessarily have a negative affect it just isn't beneficial. It is beneficial with premies because the often have brain bleeds and are more likely to have jaundice and the extra blood can help with both situations. Do your own research but make sure you are looking at up to date research! If you look at stuff from the fall of last year it is going to suggest differently...nbsp;

New research actually suggests an increased possibility of jaundice with delayed cord clamping bc of the extra blood. It's beneficial to preemies bc the brain bleed is riskier than jaundice. It may help prevent anemia but so will an iron supplement down the road if needed. We're clamping immediately which is actually not the norm at our hospital bc we'd rather do everything we can to avoid jaundice bc it was a horrible freaking thing to deal with last time.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd leave my comment to "google it" but I highly doubt your ability to search and find creditble sources.

Read this (the hyperlink button is not letting me linky it. sorry.

(https://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20Publications/Committee%20Opinions/Committee%20on%20Obstetric%20Practice/Timing%20of%20Umbilical%20Cord%20Clamping%20After%20Birth.aspx

Me and Zech

• imagesingahappysong:

I'd leave my comment to "google it" but I highly doubt your ability to search and find creditble sources.

Read this (the hyperlink button is not letting me linky it. sorry.

(https://www.acog.org/Resources%20And%20Publications/Committee%20Opinions/Committee%20on%20Obstetric%20Practice/Timing%20of%20Umbilical%20Cord%20Clamping%20After%20Birth.aspx

and if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, here is the "conclusion" from the article:

Currently, insufficient evidence exists to support or to refute the benefits from delayed umbilical cord clamping for term infants that are born in settings with rich resources. Although a delay in umbilical cord clamping for up to 60 seconds may increase total body iron stores and blood volume, which may be particularly beneficial in populations in which iron deficiency is prevalent, these potential benefits must be weighed against the increased risk for neonatal phototherapy. In addition, no difference is apparent between infants who undergo early umbilical cord clamping versus those who undergo delayed umbilical cord clamping with respect to immediate birth outcomes, such as Apgar scores, umbilical cord pH, or respiratory distress caused by polycythemia (51). Although maternal outcomes have not been rigorously studied, the incidence of postpartum hemorrhage is reported to be similar between immediate umbilical cord clamping groups and late umbilical cord clamping groups.

However, evidence supports delayed umbilical cord clamping in preterm infants. As with term infants, delaying umbilical cord clamping to 30?60 seconds after birth with the infant at a level below the placenta is associated with neonatal benefits, including improved transitional circulation, better establishment of red blood cell volume, and decreased need for blood transfusion. The single most important clinical benefit for preterm infants is the possibility for a nearly 50% reduction in intraventricular hemorrhage. It is important to note that the timing of umbilical cord clamping should not be altered for the purpose of collecting umbilical cord blood for banking (30). 

Me and Zech

• I just saw the post in third tri where op says she'll have to look into this more.

And this post was her research.

That kind of annoys me.
  • imageemolm:
    I just saw the post in third tri where op says she'll have to look into this more. And this post was her research. That kind of annoys me.

You are surprised? lol 

Me and Zech

• imagesingahappysong:

imageemolm:
    I just saw the post in third tri where op says she'll have to look into this more.

That kind of annoys me.

You are surprised? lol 

Yes. I know I shouldn't be but gossssh.
  • imageemolm:
    I just saw the post in third tri where op says she'll have to look into this more.

That kind of annoys me.

Yup i saw it too. this person annoys me.

• BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"