Natural Birth

Natural birth with twins?

We just found out this morning we are expecting twins. Yay! :) But I am nervous about having a natural birth. 

My first birth experience wasn't bad (hospital birth, was given pitocin because my water broke and I wasn't progressing, so I had an epidural), but this time around I have been going to a midwife center. I really love the midwife practice and am excited about having a natural birth in a more flexible environment. I am planning on another hospital birth (as opposed to using their birth center, which isn't going to be an option for me now anyways!), but the hospital they work out of allows freedom of movement, water birth, etc--none of which was available to me last time.

But now I'm worried that I'll be pressured away from having an natural birth because of the twins. (And yes, I am also a bit scared of birthing twins med free!) I know I have to talk to my midwives to know what their policies are and so forth, but I guess I'm wondering if anyone else here has had pr attempted a natural birth with multiples and what your experience was?

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Re: Natural birth with twins?

• My midwife attended a home birth of identical twins a few weeks before she attended my home birth.
  • imagejoules235:

I haven't had twins but I was reading spinning babies and they have tons of information about helping twins into the best position for birth.

https://www.spinningbabies.com/more-info/for-pregnancy/twin-pregnancy

I'm not sure what natural birth classes you are planning to do but Hypnobabies has tracks specifically for twin births that are wonderful at building confidence and dispelling fear. The hypnosis reduces, sometimes eliminates, the pain associated with birth.

https://www.hypnobabies.com/store/product/68-birthing-my-twins-naturally-mp3

https://www.hypnobabies.com/store/product/69-twins-birth-affirmations-mp3

Thank you for the links!! All I know about hypnobabies is the name, but I am definitely going to look into it.  

Pregnancy Ticker

image image image
  • Loading the player...
  • My cousin had twins completely naturally.  So it's definitely possible and, according to her, the easiest of her four pregnancies.  As long as one baby is head down and engaged you are typically allowed to go natural.  PPs recommendation on Spinning Babies is a great resource to help get the babies in the best position possible, definitely check it out!

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• I wound up needing a C section because my twins were both breech, but if baby A had been head down I wanted to try for as natural of a delivery as possible. The biggest thing to keep in mind about a med-free twin delivery is that if something happens and one or both babies goes into distress, or anything else that necessitates an emergency C section, you will need to be given general anesthesia if you have not had an epidural. This means you will be knocked out completely, and your partner will not be allowed in the operating room with you. You would not be awake for the birth of your children. Some women are OK with taking that risk in order to try for a natural delivery, but it wasn't for me. If I'd been able to try a vaginal delivery, I would've gotten an epidural, but the hospital would have let me use the labor tub and was willing to use the wireless fetal monitors non-continuously, so I could've had a less medicalized birth experience. Also, in the vast majority of twin births, mom has to deliver in the OR, even if it's a vaginal birth, just in case they need to perform an emergency C section. 

Discuss your options with your doctor and see what everyone is comfortable with. I hope you can have the best birth experience possible!! And congratulations on your twins!!! Twins are wonderful :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"