June 2013 Moms

35 Weeks and haven't had a ultrasound done in months!

I'm 35 and a half weeks and haven't had an ultrasound in about 3 months! My doctor tell me that because me and the baby is healthy and no complications, there's no need for one. But, I really wanna see my baby, make sure he's growing properly and all! People ask me how many pounds is he so far and I have no idea! Anyone else going thru this or feeling this way?! Share!

Re: 35 Weeks and haven't had a ultrasound done in months!

• I don't know anyone who has had an ultrasound past 20 weeks unless they had complications that indicated a need for one. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Ultrasounds at the end are not nearly a exciting. Baby is huge and you're just like "oh, there's a leg."

Bro, but look how many ants are on this trash can...
    Zach Rance 4 President

• Loading the player...
  • imagehandsonthewheel:
    I don't know anyone who has had an ultrasound past 20 weeks unless they had complications that indicated a need for one. 

this, I hear the heartbeat every week and my dr measures me. 

• The only ultrasound I had after my 20wk was in the E.R when doctors thought I had a blood clot in my lung (they checked the baby to make sure everything was functioning correctly- so it wasn't something I could sit back & enjoy). I think it's typical, as PP's have said! You're almost there & you'll see LO in person!!!!!! Smile

• imageRogue Lily:
    Ultrasounds at the end are not nearly a exciting. Baby is huge and you're just like "oh, there's a leg."

I agree. I have to for BP issues so they can measure the amount of amniotic fluid, but he is so big now that I don't even know what I am looking at most of the time! And they never tell me how big he is because at this point the readings can be off by 1.5 lbs! So no worries, as long as you feel him squirming around in there often, you are both doing great!
  • imagehandsonthewheel:
    I don't know anyone who has had an ultrasound past 20 weeks unless they had complications that indicated a need for one.nbsp;

This. No drs I have ever seen give one past the 20 week mark unless there's a problem. Ask them how big they think your baby is if you want to know. Even in an US it's not accurate.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had a surprise ultrasound yesterday bc the doc thought the baby was head down, when every other appt I was told he was head up, and she just wanted to make sure befor she said ok to the EVC. Had she thought he was head down I would not have gotten one.
  • ehnastoehnasto member

I got a U/S yesterday (35.5 weeks) but it was because DS apparently had a very boney butt so the Dr. couldn't tell from the outside if he was still breech or not. Apparently he just has a boney butt. I kind of wanted one anyway but it was a little disappointing as it was super quick and the tech was like "here's a head, here's a butt. You're fine."

• jefkjefk member
    My practice routinely does them at 36 weeks to check for positioning.  I'm glad I had it, because DH came with me - he wasn't able to attend any of the previous ultrasounds (8 wks, 12 wks, 20 wks).  I do, however, get the heart monitor at every appointment.
  • YakutYakut member
    imageehnasto:

I got a U/S yesterday (35.5 weeks) but it was because DS apparently had a very boney butt so the Dr. couldn't tell from the outside if he was still breech or not. Apparently he just has a boney butt. I kind of wanted one anyway but it was a little disappointing as it was super quick and the tech was like "here's a head, here's a butt. You're fine."

This just made me smile--it's so cute! Boney butt...aww....

I've had two ultrasounds so far after 20 weeks (having a third one today) because I have a largish fibroid that was partially blocking the cervix. It seems to have moved and LO is head down with his head past it, but they just want to keep tabs on where it is.  Also, since I'm in Canada where it's free and this is a  high-risk unit (I'm not actually high-risk, but only there because another OB I saw didn't seem to know exactly what a fibroid was and freaked out and referred me), they tend to hand out u/s like candy. Otherwise, I think I might have ONE, max, after 20 weeks, and maybe not even that. It's true that they can't see a whole lot after the baby is this big, and the u/s-based size estimates are not all that accurate--I've heard that OBs can estimate the weight equally well by feeling.

• LiLi23LiLi23 member

imageRogue Lily:
    Ultrasounds at the end are not nearly a exciting. Baby is huge and you're just like "oh, there's a leg."

Yep.  With DD I didn't have one past 28 weeks (it was a follow up to the a/s scan at 20 weeks), but this time I had one at 12, 20, 28, 32 & 35 weeks and the last few you really can't tell much bc baby's taking up so much room.  The only reason I had so many was bc of my low-lying placenta. Glad I don't need anymore though.

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• I had one at 28 weeks.  But only because her 18 week scan was measuring so far ahead.  They wanted to make sure she evened out and it was just a growth spurt, not something to worry about.  She was still a little ahead, but it was a different area, so general consensus was just a growth spurt.  

I think my office might give one if you've been pregnant past 39 weeks to make sure fluid levels are alright, but I'd personally rather has less ultrasounds than I've had to have.  It is scary going in to see if something might be wrong with the baby. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I haven't either and won't have one again. It's a good sign! It means they aren't concerned with anything. You will see your baby in real life soon enough.
  • CCR630CCR630 member
    U/S are not done after 20 weeks unless there are complications. Be thankful.
    www.thefamilyragan. blogspot.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had one done at 33 weeks because my fundal height was measuring too far ahead and they wanted to do a growth scan.  Let me tell you, it was absolutely NO fun!  Lying on my back and having the tech push on the baby to do the scan put pressure on my vena cava and I very nearly passed out...twice!  I kept having to roll over to my left side to get the blood flowing again.  Instead of getting to enjoy seeing my little one, I felt as though I just wanted it over with.  I didn't get any good pictures and felt like crud for the rest of the day.  

The Dr. also did a quick scan at my 36 week appointment to be sure of baby's position, but even that was quick and not so fun.  From this point out, I'm just ready for baby girl to get here so I can see her in person and hold her. 

Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Some days I wish I could snag one more peek, I know he's safe and growing well but it's just neat to see him in there. I haven't had one since my A/S, no biggie though... that's pretty standard unless you're high risk of some sort, so I'll take a complication free pregnancy over seeing baby once a week and not complain about it.
    Proud babywearing, breastfeeding, vaccinating SAHM of 2U2!
    imageLilypie - (qCSN)Lilypie - (5rzN)imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• imageCCR630:
    U/S are not done after 20 weeks unless there are complications. Be thankful.

This.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • My last ultra sound was at 36 weeks... It was a growth scan for baby, I have always heard of at least one growth scan near the end. I agree though that its not as exciting.... A foot here a leg there.... That's about it.
  • I've been offered one, or more due to my advanced maternal age, but I don't think they are necessary.
  • I also haven't had one since 19w3d. The OB can feel the position, and baby is plenty big and active. If for nothing else, I'm grateful because of the high copay! 

There are women out there that NEED ultrasounds a lot due to issues of baby or mom's health.  It's a good thing that you haven't needed one.  

Baking Blog | TTC Blog | Pinterest
    TTC #1 since October 2010 | Began Testing in January 2012
    DH SA - low motility with 0% morph; varicocele (repaired); low T (on Clomid)
    IVF w/ICSI (long Lupron w/ Repronex and Follistim) in September 2012

imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I don't know why people are saying that doctors don't do them unless there are complications.  This is not true with every practice.  My practice does one routinely at initial visit, 12 weeks, 20 weeks, and 36 weeks, whether there are complications or not. However, I will say that the "growth estimates" at the final u/s are kind of aggravating because they are notoriously wrong a large percentage of the time, and they tend to just cause unnecessary worrying.
    Anniversary       

• daffy2kdaffy2k member
    My last ultrasound was at 20 weeks.  It has always been my understanding that with an uncomplicated, low risk pregnancy there is really no medical need for additional ultrasounds after the anatomy scan.  
    div style="text-align: center;">

• imagehandsonthewheel:
    I don't know anyone who has had an ultrasound past 20 weeks unless they had complications that indicated a need for one.nbsp;

This. Late term ultrasounds are usually an indication of problems...they're not something exciting.
  • imageSouthSideDrea:
    Lucky you.

Ha, that was my first thought too. I feel like I've lived at my OB's office for the last 9 months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Then go buy one at an elective place.

Consider yourself lucky. Getting an U/S after the A/S usually means something is not 'good' (not in all cases, but for most yes).

Me and Zech

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"