Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Percentiles..

Should I take percentiles with a grain of salt or not?

At my son's 2 month appointment, I learned he was 24% for weight, 67% for length, and...lol... 95% for head circumference.

Now I know some babies have big heads, but that is quite a jump.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Percentiles..

• DS is and has always been the same way. He's between 35-50% for height and weight, and 95% for head circumference. Don't stress it, it just means there's more brains in there Wink

• danie07danie07 member
    My kids are the opposite...DS1 hung out around the 510 head circumference for awhile lol. At 1 month DS2 is 85weight, 50 height, and 25 for head. I don't really put much into the numbers so long as they grow.
  • Loading the player...
  • Grain of salt. LO is 65th for length, 80tg for weight and 93rd for head.
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • My pediatrician said They use the percentiles to keep track of consistent growth. It doesn't really matter what percentile he is in, as long as it stays consistent. If he was in the 95th one month and the 50th the next they would worry that his head wasn't growing. So the goal is just to stay consistent :.

The percentile that is the least accurate is the height, because the methos of drawing lines at the head and feet on a squirming infant is less than scientifically accurate :
  • mnj05mnj05 member
    Also, as he gets older those percentiles will start meeting in the middle as his body becomes more proportionate. At his 2 month check, DS was 16 for weight, 31 for height, and I want to say nearly 50 for head circumference.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• tdmd09tdmd09 member
    My son is a member of the big head club too at 95th percentile. DH has a huge head too. People comment that DS got that from his dad.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • image08summerbride:
    My pediatrician said They use the percentiles to keep track of consistent growth. It doesn't really matter what percentile he is in, as long as it stays consistent. If he was in the 95th one month and the 50th the next they would worry that his head wasn't growing. So the goal is just to stay consistent

My pediatrician has said the same thing.

DS1's head has always been off the charts.  The Dr just says "big head=big brain"  :) 

• DS had his 2 months appt yesterday.  He was in the 86th percentile for height, 82nd for weight, and 62nd for head.
    BabyFruit Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • UberBizUberBiz member

image08summerbride:
    My pediatrician said They use the percentiles to keep track of consistent growth. It doesn't really matter what percentile he is in, as long as it stays consistent. If he was in the 95th one month and the 50th the next they would worry that his head wasn't growing. So the goal is just to stay consistent :. The percentile that is the least accurate is the height, because the methos of drawing lines at the head and feet on a squirming infant is less than scientifically accurate :

So true, at birth he was measured at 19.5 inches, and 4 days later they measured him as 18 inches! I'm pretty sure he didn't shrink an inch and a half ;0)

OMG too many tickers...
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageiumegan716:

image08summerbride:
    My pediatrician said They use the percentiles to keep track of consistent growth. It doesn't really matter what percentile he is in, as long as it stays consistent. If he was in the 95th one month and the 50th the next they would worry that his head wasn't growing. So the goal is just to stay consistent

DS1's head has always been off the charts.  The Dr just says "big head=big brain"  :) 

This.  Percentiles definitely shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt, but you don't need to worry about consistently large or small percentiles as long as they stay around that percentile.  With DS, he was in the 50th percentile at 6 months for head size and then at 9 months he shot up to 97ths percentile.  The doctor was a touch concerned with the jump and wanted to watch it but they also said, the 6 month measurement was probably a bit off.  Turns out he just has a big head.  DD's head has measured in the 95th-97th percentile since birth, only 30th for weight and is 77th for length- poor skinny thing is all head LOL

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedoremi29:
    imageiumegan716:

image08summerbride:

This.  Percentiles definitely shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt, but you don't need to worry about consistently large or small percentiles as long as they stay around that percentile.  With DS, he was in the 50th percentile at 6 months for head size and then at 9 months he shot up to 97ths percentile.  The doctor was a touch concerned with the jump and wanted to watch it but they also said, the 6 month measurement was probably a bit off.  Turns out he just has a big head.  DD's head has measured in the 95th-97th percentile since birth, only 30th for weight and is 77th for length- poor skinny thing is all head LOL

Yeah, my son was born in the 10% and had been in the teens during the first 4 weeks. I think him jumping to the 20-something percentile made her happy, but she also took note on how fast he did it and wondered how much he is eating (and very surprised when I told her nursing both sides with an additional 3-4oz. bottles).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"