November 2013 Moms

Eczema/psoriasis

Ever since I was little I had eczema. At some point I also got diagnosed with psoriasis. I've tried everything, I mean everything! The only thing that has worked consistently is clobetasol propionate strong topical steroid. I used it almost daily before finding out I was pregnant found out at 7weeks. I've tried completely stopping but my skin flared up soooo much. I've been using it sparingly a few times a week. My OB pretty much said I can use a very small amt without giving me exact amts. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar condition or know anyone using clobetasol or used while pregnant. I'm so scared I'm hurting my baby :

Re: Eczema/psoriasis

• I don't have eczema but right before I got pregnant I had a crazy contact dermatitis flare requiring both systemic and topical steroids. It still flares and I try to use topicals once every couple days and only to the absolute worst spots. And lots of Benadryl.
    -Jenn Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have eczema and have been too scared to use anything. I've been using olive oil right when I get out of the shower, plus aveeno eczema lotion, and my dry patches are pretty minimal.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have psoriasis and about the only thing that helps me is A&D ointment.  I think it's probably safe in pregnancy, but you should ask your ob to be sure.  
  • cagoldicagoldi member

Neither eczema or psoriasis but I have a skin condition called Keratosis Pilaris.  I haven't been to a dermatologist because it only affects the back of my arms and it is not that bad, but sometimes gets extremely itchy. I found a lotion that really helps called Amlactin. It is reasonably priced, I think $17 for a rather large bottle. It has improved a lot since using this.

I would think it could help with your eczema but as far as the psoriasis, I wonder if the Alpha Hydroxy Acids would hurt if you had an open lesion area? My guess is it would sting. I have a friend that has psoriasis and she swears that taking capsules of shark cartilage has really helped; I think she said they have a topical delivery of it also. But, I can see how people would have ethical issues with this poduct and I very much doubt it is something you can use while pregnant.

Sorry you're dealing with those. Hope you find a good, safe alternative soon.

• ktedmonktedmon member
    I have psoriasis on my elbows, knees and scalp. I don't really need anything for my elbows or knees as it is ok for now, but for my scalp, I have tried everything on the market including dousing my hair/scalp in olive oil for weeks and it still didn't help. I happen to stumble on dremarest. It is sold as a shampoo and another form, but the shampoo helps a lot and once in awhile, I have t use scalpacin to calm the itching. I've been dealing with it for years. I went to a dermatologist and my regular doctor and they all said I would grow out of it. I am 35, been dealing with it for at least 15 years and I don't think it's ever going away. I didn't think to ask my OB about the dermarest for my scalp, but I think it should be ok. Give it a try. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.
  • I had eczema as a child on the palms of my hands, well a few weeks ago, it came back.  It itches like crazy in the mornings and at night.  I put some witch hazel on it this morning, just to try and it seemed to really calm the itching down a ton!  might be worth a shot to try!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Little Bean arrived on Nov 2013...all 10lbs 9oz of him! 

Little Happy joined the family Jan 2016

Baby #3 due in Sept

• LolaskyLolasky member
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I've tried most of the products you've mentioned. Unfortunately the only thing that has worked for me is this topical steroid. I really hope it's not hurting my baby. I will continue to use it minimally throughout.
  • imagektedmon:
    I have psoriasis on my elbows, knees and scalp. I don't really need anything for my elbows or knees as it is ok for now, but for my scalp, I have tried everything on the market including dousing my hair/scalp in olive oil for weeks and it still didn't help. I happen to stumble on dremarest. It is sold as a shampoo and another form, but the shampoo helps a lot and once in awhile, I have t use scalpacin to calm the itching. I've been dealing with it for years. I went to a dermatologist and my regular doctor and they all said I would grow out of it. I am 35, been dealing with it for at least 15 years and I don't think it's ever going away. I didn't think to ask my OB about the dermarest for my scalp, but I think it should be ok. Give it a try. Good luck. I know how frustrating it can be.

I'm amazed that your doctors say you'll outgrow it. Psoriasis is a genetic condition. I have it and it gets worse with stress and dry air like when we run the heater during the winter time.

I also find that nothing helps except prescriptions of steroid oils and/or Humira. Humira is so unsafe for baby though, that they actually recommend being off it for 3 months before even trying to get pregnant.

I would say that you should definitely see a dermatologist after you deliver about it. There are options for treatment. But as my derm told me, none of them is perfect, and it will come back. :
  • imageLolasky:
    Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. I've tried most of the products you've mentioned. Unfortunately the only thing that has worked for me is this topical steroid. I really hope it's not hurting my baby. I will continue to use it minimally throughout.

I feel like I am an expert on this.  I have lived with eczema since I was about 5, and poor DS has it WAY worse than me.  His triggers are food related (and a severe allergy to dogs).  Try keeping a food journal and see if you can pinpoint something that makes it flare.  His are corn products and citric acid.  I recommend taking a probiotic every day, and even after the baby is born (esp if you plan on BF).  It can drastically reduce the chance of your LO having eczema.  I found "Dr. Teal's Milk and Honey Bath" at WalMart.  It's about $5.  Soaking in a bubble bath of that stuff has made a world of difference in DS's skin.  I HIGHLY advise against ANY lotions.  They ALL have alcohol in it, which will dry out your skin even more.  Just get a tub of vaseline.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I have psoriasis everywhere (not a lot, but spread out over my body) and I use clobatasol too. I actually called my dermatologist to talk about it and she said mine is only on about 1% of my body and it takes using something on 20% of your body for it to enter your blood stream, so I am okay. Of course I checked with my OB and she said it was okay to use. Luckily it's summertime and the sun helps my skin, so in a few weeks I will not have anything left to medicate, but if you haven't yet, call your dermatologist and your OB. I also tried aloe for a while and that helped it, too, if you can't use the clobatasol.
  • I was just at my Dermotologist yesterday as I have many skin problems. Try soaking in WHOLE MILK. I know it sound funny but I now use it as a face soak and in 2 days the burning and redness has gone away. I put a handful of ice cubes in a bowl, a cup or 2 of whole milk then soak a soft washcloth in the milk until saturated the lay the cloth across the area. Repeat for 5 to 10 min then rinse. All natural, no chemicals!!!
  • imagemrussin84:
    I was just at my Dermotologist yesterday as I have many skin problems. Try soaking in WHOLE MILK. I know it sound funny but I now use it as a face soak and in 2 days the burning and redness has gone away. I put a handful of ice cubes in a bowl, a cup or 2 of whole milk then soak a soft washcloth in the milk until saturated the lay the cloth across the area. Repeat for 5 to 10 min then rinse. All natural, no chemicals!!!

5 to 10 min...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"