September 2013 Moms

? about viability day

I know there was a thread recently about "v-day and a friend just said that since I'm 24 week I should be celebrating viability.  For some reason I always thought it was a bit later (like 26-28ish weeks).  What do you consider the "viability day"?
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: ? about viability day

• I always thought it was 26 weeks, because the rate of survival jumps to 90%.  But I like the sound of 24 weeks.  26 is just what I had read before.

ETA:  Okay, after actually looking it up, it is 24 weeks.  I shouldn't go try to go from memory 5 minutes after waking up from nap time.

We said goodbye to our sweet Taylor Ashley on August 8, 2012.We lost baby Noelle on May 1, 2015

Mom to Cam and Al, now expecting baby number 3, August 2016. Praying for lots of sticky baby dust!
  • abgs625abgs625 member
    My doctor told me it was 24 weeks. That doesn't guarantee the baby would survive, but they do have a markedly greater chance than if they are born at 23 weeks due to their stage in development.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Either 24/25.  I know several babies who have survived at 25 weeks but it's a long, rough road.  Definitely the longer they can cook, the better!  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Mrs. MoMrs. Mo member
    It's 24 weeks. At that point, a baby has slightly higher than a 50% chance of surviving if born at that point.

"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all." -- Dale Carnegie
    "Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." --Thomas A. Edison
  • Well then, hot dang, I made it!  I know it increases like crazy until 26 weeks then kind of balances out pretty much.  Guess I'll be celebrating tonight!  I'm going out to dinner with my friend who just got a good NT scan result and is officially telling people now, so now we both have things to celebrate!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 24 weeks is generally when any hospital will do life saving measures should the baby be born. That doesn't guarantee the health or life of the baby though. Around 27 weeks the rate of survival without lasting complications is much higher, but they will still try to help baby at 24 weeks when they won't prior to that date.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageCurls218:
    Well then, hot dang, I made it!nbsp; I know it increases like crazy until 26 weeks then kind of balances out pretty much.nbsp; Guess I'll be celebrating tonight!nbsp; I'm going out to dinner with my friend who just got a good NT scan result and is officially telling people now, so now we both have things to celebrate!

I don't think it really balances out at 26, probably more like 37.Still lot of risks and medical interventions needed before that point.

• Not sure how I never heard of this term before!  Thanks for posting Smile

photo b2867ff1-04fd-412f-991f-a3e09638ec0f_zps4503f4a7.jpg 

• Odds of a Premature Baby's Survival by Length of Pregnancy

Length of PregnancyLikelihood of Survival
    23 weeks17%
    24 weeks39%
    25 weeks50%
    26 weeks80%
    27 weeks90%
    28-31 weeks90-95%
    32-33 weeks95%
    34+ weeksAlmost as likely as a full-term baby
    Sources: March of Dimes, Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation

• imagewaterfall11:
    Odds of a Premature Baby's Survival by Length of PregnancyLength of PregnancyLikelihood of Survival23 weeks1724 weeks3925 weeks5026 weeks8027 weeks902831 weeks90953233 weeks9534 weeksAlmost as likely as a fullterm babySources: March of Dimes, Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation

Amen for the chart! 27 weeks starting tomorrow. Whew.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEMLYNNLERETTE:
    imagewaterfall11:
    Odds of a Premature Baby's Survival by Length of PregnancyLength of PregnancyLikelihood of Survival23 weeks1724 weeks3925 weeks5026 weeks8027 weeks902831 weeks90953233 weeks9534 weeksAlmost as likely as a fullterm babySources: March of Dimes, Quint Boenker Preemie Survival Foundation
    Amen for the chart! 27 weeks starting tomorrow. Whew.

90% is higher than I thought 27 weeks would be.  I wish charts made me feel better about things.  After being in the smaller percentage for my miscarriage they just don't bring me comfort anymore.  :(

• Oh goodness, can I please fast forward to 27 plus weeks!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Premature Birth Statistics

Definitions

• Premature born before 37 weeks
    • Moderately premature born between 35 and 37 weeks
    • Very premature born between 29 and 34 weeks
    • Extremely premature born between 24 and 28 weeks
    • Low birthweight baby weighs less than 2,500 g (5.5 lbs)
    • Very low birthweight baby weighs less than 1,500 g (3.0 lbs)
    • Extremely low birthweight baby weighs less than 1,000 g (2.2 lbs)
    • Neonatal deaths = within 28 days of birth
    • Prenatal deaths = stillbirths and deaths occurring within the 1st week of life

Survival Rates

• Babies born at 23 weeks have a 17% chance of survival
    • Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39% chance of survival
    • Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50% chance of survival
    • From 32 weeks onwards, most babies are able to survive with the help of medical Technology [EPICure data]

Outcomes

• 1 in 10 premature babies will develop a permanent disability such as lung disease, cerebral palsy, blindness or deafness.
    • 50% of premature babies born before the 26th week of gestation are disabled, a quarter severely so. (Fowler GA. Preemie problems: the sobering statistics. US News World Reports 2000; vol 129: pp56.)
    • Of children born before 26 weeks' gestation, results in 241 of the surviving children at six years (early school age) indicate a high level of disability as follows:
      • 22% severe disability (defined as cerebral palsy but not walking, low cognitive scores, blindness, profound deafness)
      • 24% moderate disability (defined as cerebral palsy but walking, IQ/cognitive scores in the special needs range, lesser degree of visual or hearing impairment)
      • 34% mild disability (defined as low IQ/cognitive score, squint, requiring glasses)
      • 20% no problems

https://www.preemiesurvival.org/info/

Boy 10.6.13
    Labored at freestanding birth center using hypnobirthing techniques
    Delivered via csection
  • imageCDMay2006:

Premature Birth Statistics

Definitions

• Premature born before 37 weeks
    • Moderately premature born between 35 and 37 weeks
    • Very premature born between 29 and 34 weeks
    • Extremely premature born between 24 and 28 weeks
    • Low birthweight baby weighs less than 2,500 g (5.5 lbs)
    • Very low birthweight baby weighs less than 1,500 g (3.0 lbs)
    • Extremely low birthweight baby weighs less than 1,000 g (2.2 lbs)
    • Neonatal deaths = within 28 days of birth
    • Prenatal deaths = stillbirths and deaths occurring within the 1st week of life

Survival Rates

• Babies born at 23 weeks have a 17% chance of survival
    • Babies born at 24 weeks have a 39% chance of survival
    • Babies born at 25 weeks have a 50% chance of survival
    • From 32 weeks onwards, most babies are able to survive with the help of medical Technology [EPICure data]

Outcomes

• 1 in 10 premature babies will develop a permanent disability such as lung disease, cerebral palsy, blindness or deafness.
    • 50% of premature babies born before the 26th week of gestation are disabled, a quarter severely so. (Fowler GA. Preemie problems: the sobering statistics. US News World Reports 2000; vol 129: pp56.)
    • Of children born before 26 weeks' gestation, results in 241 of the surviving children at six years (early school age) indicate a high level of disability as follows:
      • 22% severe disability (defined as cerebral palsy but not walking, low cognitive scores, blindness, profound deafness)
      • 24% moderate disability (defined as cerebral palsy but walking, IQ/cognitive scores in the special needs range, lesser degree of visual or hearing impairment)
      • 34% mild disability (defined as low IQ/cognitive score, squint, requiring glasses)
      • 20% no problems

https://www.preemiesurvival.org/info/

That is an odd grouping of gestational ages. There is a huge difference between 29 and 34 weeks. After 34 weeks is considered a late term preemie and certainly not "very early". 

imageimage
    2 years, 2 surgeries, 2 clomid fails, 2 IUIs, 1 loss, IVF #1 - 10/25/10 = BFP!, DS is now 3.5yrs!
    TTC #2 - 6/12 surgery #3, FET #1 & 1.2 = BFN, 12/2012 FET #2 = BFP! DD is 1.5 yrs!
    Surprise! 12/16/14 BFP, loss #2 12/31/14

I can't wait for the "im getting a divorce" post in 5 years or so because your husbands were fed up with your disgusting chair asses from playing on the knot all day and getting fired 4-5 times for not doing any work. you guys are all winners!! ~ Laur929

• It's 24w. The chance of survival on the outside is 50/50 and that's when most hospital will intervene.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • imagewaterfall11:
    well this chart ***!ng sucks for a person whose child was I. The 90 range. Jesus, I thought it was less, didnt realize he was in the 10th. Sorry. I'm currently in freak out mode until 6/22 when I'm a day past when Aidan was born
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • I believe thy 24 weeks is the general age at which hospitals will do what they can to keep babies alive. I think that is the official cutoff. Some hospitals will work on younger babies as well, but they aren't required to.

I read an article about a woman in another country, and her baby was born at 23w6d. The baby was breathing, a really good weight for the age, and was pretty much thriving. But, even though the baby was doing great, they brought in funeral home information and a death certificate. The mom had to tell them to leave. She begged them to help her baby, who had already lived several hours. Unfortunately, this country has government health care, an wouldn't do anything because she had the baby one day before the 24 week mark. Their 'rules' said 24 weeks, so that was set in stone. The baby died after about 8 hours, but had it received help, most likely would have survived according to USA drs who reviewed the case. So sad.
    January 2009: Goodbye TR (13 weeks) February 2010: Welcome DD1! March 2011: Welcome DD2! Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • The reasoning for 24 weeks I believe is because that is when the lungs begin to develop.  Babies have lung buds before that which will eventually become lungs but before 24 weeks there is really no chance due to the lungs not yet developing.  And they haven't yet created a replacement umbilical cord to supply nutrients and oxygen directly to the baby outside the womb.  The baby has got to be able to breathe and digest once they're out.
    ??
    Our little lightbulb is on the way!
    12 weeks 3 days

TTC since Oct 2011
    Me: 33, hypothyroidism since 14, cleared all HSG, US, Pre-pregnancy panel tests.
    Hubby: 36, testicular Ca, chemo April-May 2012.
    Natural cycle IUI #1 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jun 2012) Neg
    Natural Cycle IUI #2 with trigger and Progesterone Suppositories (Jul 2012) NEG
    Aug 2012 - break due to needing a girls' weekend in Cape Cod
    Natural Cycle IUI #3 with trigger and prednisone (Sep 2012) NEGATIVE
    Switched fertility clinics - forced break Oct 2012
    Natural Cycle IUI #4 (Nov 2012) no trigger, no progesterone, no prednisone (Nov 2012) - Neg
    1st round Clomid Cycle IUI #5 (Dec 2012) - POS
  • imagemagdalina.h:
    imagewaterfall11:
    well this chart ***!ng sucks for a person whose child was I. The 90 range. Jesus, I thought it was less, didnt realize he was in the 10th. Sorry. I'm currently in freak out mode until 6/22 when I'm a day past when Aidan was born
    I hear ya. At the point I miscarried it was only a 0.5 percent chance so I really don't put much stock in numbers. Hope the time passes quickly for you!

• 24 is when they will try to keep the baby alive. Each week past there is a big jump in viability though! Celebrate every week. I lived at ronald mcdonald house and the hospital for a year and know babies born in nearly every week after that and there was a huge difference with each of them! Every day, every week after is a difference and increases chances of survival. It really doesn't even out until 37 weeks when you're considered full term and ready anytime.
    Mom of 5
    Boy 7-11-2007 (has Autism),
    Boy 2-26-2009 to 11-2-11 (had cancer at 4mo),
    Boy 3-28-2011 (has Autism)
    Girl 9-3-2013
    Baby due 2-22-2016
  • 24 weeks is when their chance of survival goes up quite a bit.  28 weeks is generally the next big step where there is a potential for enough lung development that they could breathe on their own. 

But babies born after 24 weeks don't always make it and babies born before 24 weeks sometimes do, so you never know.  I think it's just a celebration the same way that the 2nd trimester is.  It just means that you are that much closer to your baby being born healthy.

Lots of love to my BFPB, Squishy622 <3

photo 544b4365-b9ee-4805-ba08-f19896d25dae_zpsd8a0debb.jpgphoto ed61c23b-2bf9-4622-b870-072ac0970775_zpsa90b2a73.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"