June 2013 Moms

How are your coworkers?

If you're still at work, which I assume some of you are, how are your coworkers reacting to you still being there and being as large as you are?

For me, the convo I had today was probably the funniest thus far...

As I am passing a partners office, he yells, Stella! (that's my name)...  so I turn back around (more like waddle back around) and walk into his office.. this is how the convo goes:

Him: "So, do you have an emergency plan set in place if your water breaks? Is your bag packed in your car?"

Me: "No... My plan is to go home, get a shower, eat something, wait for my husband to get home, put the bag in the car, and go to the hospital"

Him: "But in the movies they show people rushing to the hospital"

Me: "That's b/c it's the movies........."

Him: "Well Steve (he is contractor that sits in the office across from me.. tall, lanky guy) can help you... He can throw you on his back and take you to your car".

Me: "I'd break that poor man in half"

At which point the partner turns bright red b/c he realizes that I am MUCH bigger than Steve and there is NO way Steve can carry me ANYWHERE. So I go on to say that if my water breaks I will put a sweater around my waist, go to my car, and sit on the puppy pad that is already in place in case such an event occurs... We both got a laugh out of that image.

SURPRISE! BFP: 12/2014 - EDD: 8/13/15

We made plans and God laughed

DS: BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

Re: How are your coworkers?

• After initially having to make it very clear to certain coworkers that it was *never* okay to talk to a pregnant lady about how much weight she's put on, things have been pretty mellow around here.

Mostly it's coworkers speculating on what name we'll pick (we're keeping it a secret until the baby's born), and organizing a pool for my due date.  They've been surprisingly cool for a whole gaggle of men. 

BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • I get the:

"oh you're still here?" (Yes I still am not due for 10 more days.)

"are you going to make it through this meeting or are you going to have to run to the hospital?"

"when was your last doctor appointment"

"wow you look big, but not too big" (whatever that means)

There are plenty more but those are the ones from today.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • llbta85llbta85 member

Every d-mn day I get the "oh you're still here" or "have you had the baby" or "are you in labor" "have any contractions?" ugh, obviously I want nothing more than to hold this little girl in my arms and be home instead of working on these accounting write ups.

• I am off work now, but before I left I had some funny interactions with co-workers. 

I work in an office with 4 other guys, and when I hit about 6 months, they put a cup in the middle of our office with each of their names on popsicle sticks inside.  On the outside of the cup, it said "Drawing for who has to drive Meg to the hospital".  They informed me that if I were to go to in labor, this is how they would decide who would drive me in.   

image image
    Bennett Andrew- 6/4/13      Nora Elizabeth - 10/3/14
  • SLaBM2BSLaBM2B member
    imageMegStory17:

I am off work now, but before I left I had some funny interactions with co-workers. 

I work in an office with 4 other guys, and when I hit about 6 months, they put a cup in the middle of our office with each of their names on popsicle sticks inside.  On the outside of the cup, it said "Drawing for who has to drive Meg to the hospital".  They informed me that if I were to go to in labor, this is how they would decide who would drive me in.   

OMG! Men!!!!! LOL! that's hilarious!

SURPRISE! BFP: 12/2014 - EDD: 8/13/15

We made plans and God laughed

DS: BFP: 9/30/12 - EDD: 6/9/13

Radley Quinn was fashionably late via induction on 6/17/13

• kgb-13kgb-13 member

My random comments that I can remember:

"wow, you look great"

"You look like you've dropped" (this was WEEKS ago)

"You don't look totally uncomfortable!"

"Weren't you already due?"

(My boss) "Are we going to have to drive you to the hospital if you go into labor here at work? We'll get you over there"

"I bet you're ready!" 

• kgb-13kgb-13 member

imageSteamboat1679:
    Most days I get the "oh good your here!" Or you shouldn't be doing that, which includes moving files, loading paper into the printer, and holding doors. There are 7 pregnant women on my floor so at times it feels like we are everywhere!

I forgot something in my car the other morning and my boss offered to go get it for me.  I laughed, but then realized maybe I sounded b!tchy, so I thanked him but said I was fine to walk. 

• Sounds like my office. Two male bosses. One is all "I'll drive you if need be". No thanks, you've nearly killed us both everytime I'm in your car. The other is all "I have no kids, and no idea what to do, let A drive you!".

I'm all, it's fine, I'll just head to the car and drive home to wait for the Hubs. NBD. Now... let's all see if I'm this calm in that situation. HA!

Honestly the only thing they've said that's irritated me at all was last week, when one said to a client "Yeah, it looks like there's a dozen in there, but it's only 1". Um, no, it doesn't look like a dozen. I'll take the twins comments, the "no way you still have 3+ weeks" comments. I do not look like I'm carrying a dozen babies. Psh.

imageimage
    Our lil' diva: late like her Momma: 40 weeks 5 days!
  • I am still here, hanging in.   If I so much as breathe, the men in my office scramble and run for cover. Stick out tongue

The women are handling things better, and seem to be sympathetic to how tired and ready I am at this point..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • LiLi23LiLi23 member

Mine are in denial that I'll actually have a baby.  They have yet to find a temp to cover me while I'm out.  It's pretty funny.

Other guys on the jobsite are all "omg, why are you still heeerrrrreee?!"  lol  I'm only 36 weeks guys!

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• My coworkers are so rude. The white one keeps using my pregnant belly as a pillow!

No, but really I admire you ladies working right up until the end. Just throw some throat punches when people are being stupid.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Everyday some one looks at me and says: "any day now!!!" And I'm not due till June 22!

• I am working until the end and most of the men are begging me to stop working asap becaues they are terrified of me going into labor here. And its funyn because they all have kids of their own. My nicknames are preggo, waddles and fatso. And honestly, none of it bothers me. Even the fatso comment - prob because i've only gained 20 pounds and its all in my stomach so i still weigh less than most women that arent pregnant

I just join in on the jokes, i dont mind people asking me repeatedly when im due and all that. I know some women are sensitive, but i guess i never got that pregnancy symptom lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekellenestevan:
    Everyday some one looks at me and says: "any day now!!!" And I'm not due till June 22!

I get about 50 percent this and 50 percent ' you look so tiny!' Neither really feels good. I've have the belly touching people which is always fun. But I'm only here until June 6th, then I'm done to be a SAHM! Can't wait!
  • everyday, it's "you are getting close!"  yes.  I know.  I am closer to having a baby than I was yesterday. Thank you captain obvious. 

September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I'm always getting, "Oh, you're still here!?" and "Wow, getting close huh?!" and otherwise just stupid looks and stares. This goes for everyone in my office, and especially in court. I just want to crawl into a hole until this is over. And I'm only 36 weeks. Smh.
  • Your post totally cracked me up!

I am not working now, but when I was with my first pregnancy, the last month was rough.  I didn't mind the "you're still here working?" and "wow, I can't believe you're still pregnant!" comments.  I really didn't at all, people were just being friendly and taking an interest.  But it definitely got old having the same exact conversation 23 times a day, as I walked through the building.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I get a lot of comments like, "any day now..." and "when are you going to stop working?"  I'm only 35 weeks so I have a few more weeks to go. Sometimes its annoying having to repeat the same thing over and over. My co-workers like to call me "Lefty" because I had my right arm in a sling for a few weeks after I dislocated my shoulder. I think its funny! Most of the time they are all extra sweet and always asking me how I'm doing and if I need anything.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LBeez13LBeez13 member
    Every morning my boss walks by my office and yells...." You're STILL pregnant???" It is pretty funny and does make me laugh everyday. Most of my other coworkers have actually been pretty nice and great about the whole pregnancy. They told me yesterday that they were impressed at how I hadn't complained or missed work this entire pregnancy. It made me feel good because I have actively trying to prove to everyone I can still be great at my job throughout pregnancy!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMegStory17:

This is great!  LoL

I am 37 weeks tomorrow and next Friday is my last day at work. Today might have been one of the most comment heavy days I've had.  It literally took me 15 minutes to get to the cafe because I had 5 different convo's about my pregnancy on the way to the darn elevator.  "It feels like you've been pregnant forever!!"  "You're still here?!" "You won't make it to the 20th....I'm sure of it!"  "Don't go into labor at work, I won't know what to do!"  "You able to walk down there or should we roll you?"  Hmm

Oh.My.God.  Next Friday can't come soon enough.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This post made me laugh some, and made me appreciate my coworkers! My VP tells me every couple of days I am not allowed to go into labor yet I have another month from today. My manager who has a 3mo old was teasing me today because I am not planning on bowling at next week's team outing, and jokingly suggested it might make me go into labor early, which she wished for. Everyone is really sweet and excited for me overall, so I'm glad I dont have some of y'all's crazies in my office!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"