June 2013 Moms

Cytotec

My doctor is inducing me on Sunday and will begin with a dose of cytotec. I have been researching it since my appointment and it seems that it is not approved by the FDA to be used in labor and delivery.

Has anyone on here asked their doctor about this or had an induction with it? What was your experience?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Cytotec

• Please please please fight your doctor on this! Do not let them use it to induce you, last I checked the label even says not to be used on pregnant women and its def not approved by the FDA for use in inductions.

DD1 5/16/2006 8lbs 3oz 21" (2 days late, 36.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/08/09 6w5d
    DS1 6/27/2013 7lbs 9oz 19.5" (1 day late, 17.5 hour labor)
    M/C 12/18/13 6w1d Twins
    BFP#5 4/6/13 EDD 12/16/2014

BabyFruit Ticker image
  • I don't have any personal experience but have read and heard bad things about Cytotec. I don't believe it's even used at my hospital, but if I were in your shoes I would inquire about Cervidil.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I had it when I was induced with my DD four years ago due to VERY low fluid. It worked fine didn't cross my mind that my doctor would intentionally give me something that would put me and my baby in harm's way...

Seriously, I highly doubt your doctor would give you something that could harm you, let alone put themselves in a position to be sued. As long as you are being induced for a legit reason, I don't see what's wrong.

Then again, your body, your choice.
    Norah is here! Born on July 16th, 2009 7lbs 0oz, 19in and PERFECT! My Blog--Baby Steps, Foot Steps, Leaps, Bounds, Milestones
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had it with my son and everything went perfect. 
  • I have no personal experience with cytotec but after a lot of reading and research during this pregnancy I would never let a doctor use this drug on me. I would link some of the articles but I am mobile. Please just do some research!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #1: 6.26.12 EDD: 2.11.13 missed m/c: 7.31.12 @ 12 weeks
    BFP #2: 10.1.12 EDD: 6.11.13 Born 6.13.13
    photo 2546f8b6-17f6-4b55-b007-93a547c620b8.jpg

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was induced with it with DD1.  I didn't think anything of it honestly.  My induction went pretty well.  Had the cytotec placed around 7am with barely any dilation and a little effaced.  I progressed steadily and was ready to push by midnight (may have been earlier, was sleeping and didn't get checked between 9 and midnight).  FWIW, I was induced at 41w5d.
    DD #1 August 2010 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've never used it (FTM), but after the research I've done, I wouldn't go near it.
  • I agree with PP. If its not approved for use on pregnant women, I don't want it. I've had two friends who have had it used on them, and from what they've said, it brings on the contractions crazy strong, which can sometimes mean its faster than your body is ready for. 
  • imageGingerBabyTX:
    I've never used it (FTM), but after the research I've done, I wouldn't go near it.

This.  Just because your doctor says its okay...does not mean its okay!

TTC since August 2011 (Me-29, DH-32).
    4/28/2012 - SA: 5% motility.
    5/21/2012 - SA: same results.
    Only shot is IVF (ICSI)
    5/31/2012 - HSG: all clear
    6/22/2012 - appt with RE, confirmed ICSI is necessary.
    8/3/2012 - First IVF Monitoring Appointment
    8/17/2012 - Egg Retrieval (retrieved 23 eggs, 3 made it to freezer)
    8/18/2012 - OHSS - hospitalized, need to wait one cycle to transfer embryo(s) due to OHSS
    8/29/2012 - begin meds for frozen cycle
    10/12/2012 - FET one embryo
    10/24/2012 - Beta #1: 442
    10/26/2012 - Beta #2: 947
    10/29/2012 - Beta #3: 2900!
    11/15/2012 - first u/s: baby measuring perfect, heart rate is right on target
    2/6/2013 - A/S looked perfect. Still team green by choice!
    7/6/2013 - Baby girl born after 44 hours of un-medicated labor, 2 hours of pushing, and emergency c-section due to transverse head.  DD was perfectly healthy at 6 pounds, 14 ounces.  We are thrilled!!
  • FTM here but I won't be going anywhere near it after researching it. The FDA not only hasn't approved it for use in pregnancy, they recommend against it, even though they do acknowledge that it is common practice.
    BabyFetus Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I would look into other options. Cytotec freaks me out. If you have already started to dilate, a foley bulb might be a possibility otherwise cervadil. Until then, sex till you are blue!
  • imageriansmommie:
    Please please please fight your doctor on this! Do not let them use it to induce you, last I checked the label even says not to be used on pregnant women and its def not approved by the FDA for use in inductions.

Yes this. From what I've been told its only FDA approved to be used for abortions. DO NOT USE.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree that you should think twice about using Cytotec. Doctors like it because it is quick and effective, but do your research... it can also be really dangerous. Even the manufacturers of the drug do not recommend it for labor inductions. It has been known to cause uterine rupture and hemorrhaging. 

I had to be induced with my son, and requested Cervadil (which is indicated for labor induction and is very safe). My induction was very slow, but ultimately my body kicked into labor and I had an epidural free, vaginal birth. 

• I would never agree to the use of Cytotec--it can be extremely dangerous and is not supposed to be used for inductions. There are much safer choices out there! 

Pregnancy Ticker

• I just left the Drs office an hour ago and am scheduled to go in Wed evening of next week to start (3) overnight cytotec "doses".  I'm already freaking out because I went into labor with DS and am NOT looking forward to being induced.  (The Dr's are already on the bossy side and are very C-sec happy/ non vag- delivery friendly, it seems.)  Then I googled this medication (everyone has always talked about cervidil) and am more freaked out.  I've put a call into the office to find out more.  I'll come back and post what they say after I talk to them tomorrow. 

Unfortunately, I've had so many losses from having genetic mutation complications.  I see a high-rated MFM/ perinatology group that runs the antenatal center at our top-notch hospital in the Washington DC area.  It's definitely not a "partnership" in my wishes for a delivery- it's kind of "do what you're told" type of relationship.  It sucks.  I guess I'm just going to have sex non-stop and pick up a bottle of the primrose oil and try everything I can in the meantime.  And trust them, I kind of have to, they do see patients who are at much more risk than I am and the babies come out healthy, which is the ultimate goal here.

• Do your own research and make your own decision.

From my research, I would never let that *** near me.  BUT- I've heard of several moms using it to be induced without problems.  So there must be something to it.  The risks and lack of scientific evidence/ non FDA approval just don't make it worth it for me. 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"