Breastfeeding

Thrush?

The past few days I started feeling sharp shooting pains in both of my breasts. It's mostly around my nipple area. It comes and goes at random. In googling the symptom, Thrush came to the top of the list. I've read how difficult this can be to beat and it's best to diagnosis and treat ASAP so I called my OB. They basically blew me off and said "I doubt it's anything," but I'm still super worried.

My nipples are pink (but I think they always were?), my nipples are sore (but I wouldn't say unusually so), I see a little bit of white in my daughter's mouth (but I think it's just milk residue on her tongue b/c its not always there)...

We have a pediatrician appointment next Friday -- my question is, is that too long to wait to get her checked out? Should I just call my OB and demand an appointment anyways?

I'm so upset because breastfeeding was just starting to go SO well and I was looking forward to continuing indefinitely... and now this... has anyone come down with thrush and still sucessfully breastfed for at least 6 months?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Thrush?

• TJ1979TJ1979 member
    We have had thrush twice, and it's treatable and you can definitely go on to BF for as long as you want.  That being said, I'm not so sure it sounds like thrush to me.  Do you have itchy or peeling/flaky nips?  For me the itch always preceded the pain.  You could have vasospasms.  Do your nips blanch or turn colors (white, purple) at all?  Do the pains seem worse when you are cold?
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • They do sometimes itch and that has been going on for quite awhile, but I don't see any correlation to the itch and the pain timing wise, if that matters. But everything else you mentioned is a no.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    Hmm, with the itch it is a possibility then.  I'd wipe them with a vinegar and water solution after every feeding until the pedi appt.  Just remember if it is thrush, you both need to be treated at the same time to prevent passing it back and forth.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"