February 2013 Moms

Probiotics

Those of you that use probiotics how do you give them? Orally?  Bottle?  All five drops at once? 

Re: Probiotics

• I take them and DD gets them through my milk.

• imageadamwife:
    I take them and DD gets them through my milk.

This.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was told by my LC that probiotics do not pass through the milk since they are a living good bacteria and stay within your intestine, thus can not be absorbed into milk. I give my DS a special probiotic formulated for infants. Its a powder form and I just put it in a bottle of BM a few moments before I give him the bottle. The trick is it has to be drank immediately as the BM will not stay good for long with the probiotics in it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagePandasMama0626:
    I was told by my LC that probiotics do not pass through the milk since they are a living good bacteria and stay within your intestine, thus can not be absorbed into milk. I give my DS a special probiotic formulated for infants. Its a powder form and I just put it in a bottle of BM a few moments before I give him the bottle. The trick is it has to be drank immediately as the BM will not stay good for long with the probiotics in it.

The old research suggested that breastmilk only contained prebiotics - carbs that would help the baby's gut develop its own probiotics.  New research shows that the actual breastmilk does contain probiotics.  Breastmilk is actually one of the best forms of probiotic for your baby, so if you are nursing it is unnecessary to give any to them (unless of course mom is on antibiotics or is deficient in her own probiotic supply - that's why we should be taking them as nursing moms).

• image+adamwife+:

imagePandasMama0626:
    I was told by my LC that probiotics do not pass through the milk since they are a living good bacteria and stay within your intestine, thus can not be absorbed into milk. I give my DS a special probiotic formulated for infants. Its a powder form and I just put it in a bottle of BM a few moments before I give him the bottle. The trick is it has to be drank immediately as the BM will not stay good for long with the probiotics in it.

The old research suggested that breastmilk only contained prebiotics - carbs that would help the baby's gut develop its own probiotics.  New research shows that the actual breastmilk does contain probiotics.  Breastmilk is actually one of the best forms of probiotic for your baby, so if you are nursing it is unnecessary to give any to them (unless of course mom is on antibiotics or is deficient in her own probiotic supply - that's why we should be taking them as nursing moms).

This is true. I'm on antibiotics right now so I assumed thats what PP was asking for. I should have clarified.... :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't do them anymore, but we did. Our pedi suggested it as apparently studies have shown that probiotics might help colic. LO is past his colicky stage now.

We gave all 5 drops at once because LO wasn't really getting bottles. Our pedi mentioned that it must be given to the baby, not me eating them.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • One of us would hold baby's mouth open and the other would pour in 5 drops. Sometimes they wouldn't all get in his mouth and since that stuff is crazy expensive we now use an infant spoon. We then have him lick the spoon. It's working much better. Our pedi recommended them for his gas issues. Can't really tell if they make a difference but we keep buying them!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"