June 2013 Moms

How many are using a baby mirror in the car?

Maybe this has already been talked about, but I'm not on here much. How many of you are planning on using a baby mirror in the car? I have one but it doesn't attach as securely as I would like and it also blocks part of my view out the back window. I might return it and get a different one or just not use a mirror at all. Just curious to see what others thought about baby mirrors. 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many are using a baby mirror in the car?

• I'm not! I had one with my first but never felt like I used it, so I didn't use one at all with my second and I didn't miss it.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The police officer who inspected my carseat said that mirrors are not recommended in my state (ny).  I never gave it another thought after that, but I'm interested it what others have to say. 

image      image    

IVF #1 September 2012, beta #1: 213; beta #2: 580. Expecting Twins! 
    EDD 6/9 lost one angel at 9w3d :( 
    Baby boy arrived 6/1/13
    FET #1 10/14, BFP -Chemical Pregnancy :(
    Everyone Welcome

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagephishgirl29:
    The police officer who inspected my carseat said that mirrors are not recommended in my state ny. nbsp;I never gave it another thought after that, but I'm interested it what others have to say.nbsp;

This exactly. When the officer told me of stories about how those mirrors mangled little babies faces who otherwise would have been totally fine in a crash, I took it out immediately.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was just thinking maybe 10 minutes ago that I don't know where mine went from DS. I used it often and it fit very securely. Now that DS will be back there with Nemo, I don't think it'll be as big of a deal not to have one (so I'm not rushing out to replace it if I can't find it) but I would like to use it again. 

Proud Mama to Mickey (12.03.09) and Nemo (06.06.13)

• Not only can they become a hazard if they detach in an accident and become airborne, but they can be a real distraction for the driver. We used one with G in the beginning but it really isn't safe to glance back there. We won't use one this time but we don't really have an option since we removed the middle row headrests (our mirror attached to the headrest) so we could access the third row of our car easier. I am actually keeping ours for an indoor toy now.

• I'm not.  After reading about them becoming projectiles in accidents (and not to mention being a bit of a distraction), I decided not to.  I was really surprised when the Nurse in our Newborn Class last night actually recommended them - I don't think that's terribly responsible of her.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • I'm using the same one that I used with my son. It's made by fiaher price and the mirror part is like a plastic. It also wraps around the headrest of the seat, like the buckle part goes in between the two prongs of the headrest, securely and there is no way it would come off in the event of an accident unless the headrest somehow came off. If we were in a bad enough accident where the seat became disassembled I think the mirror would be the least of our problems.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • LiLi23LiLi23 member
    I have one in my car still from when DD was born. I plan on sliding DD behind the driver's side and putting the infant seat on the passenger side, so the mirror will stay put.  Although M loves it now bc she looks at herself. 

Lilypie - (tyeV)

Lilypie - (AarQ)

• imageilovemarfa:
    I'm using the same one that I used with my son. It's made by fiaher price and the mirror part is like a plastic. It also wraps around the headrest of the seat, like the buckle part goes in between the two prongs of the headrest, securely and there is no way it would come off in the event of an accident unless the headrest somehow came off. If we were in a bad enough accident where the seat became disassembled I think the mirror would be the least of our problems.

that sounds like the same one I have. If we're in an accident so bad that the mirror comes detached and shatters all over LO, that mirror is likely the least of our worries. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kgb-13kgb-13 member

imageStardust54:
    imagephishgirl29:
    The police officer who inspected my carseat said that mirrors are not recommended in my state ny. nbsp;I never gave it another thought after that, but I'm interested it what others have to say.nbsp;
    This exactly. When the officer told me of stories about how those mirrors mangled little babies faces who otherwise would have been totally fine in a crash, I took it out immediately.

Policeman inspecting in my state (VA) told me that they are generally cheaply made and therefore could become a projectile in a crash or even hard braking. 

• I am using the mirror, although the one I have threads through the headrest on the seat, and the only way it could come loose is if the top of the headrest came off. 

This is something I've thought about in the past and unless you make sure absolutely nothing is in the car (even in the front seat), cell phone, diaper bag, toys etc, in an accident many things become dangerous objects. I like being able to see my son now, and he uses the mirror to look at what's going on and entertains him. I am planning on RFing him for at least another year, so the risk of the mirror outweighs the risk of turning him around.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • jlaOKjlaOK member

imageilovemarfa:
    I'm using the same one that I used with my son. It's made by fiaher price and the mirror part is like a plastic. It also wraps around the headrest of the seat, like the buckle part goes in between the two prongs of the headrest, securely and there is no way it would come off in the event of an accident unless the headrest somehow came off. If we were in a bad enough accident where the seat became disassembled I think the mirror would be the least of our problems.

This sounds like the one I had with DS.  I will be using it again and have no worries about the safety of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• imagesctiger52408:
    I thought about it but then I read that it can be dangerous because in case of an accident (or a near accident), it can come loose and fall on the baby.
  • imagesctiger52408:
    I thought about it but then I read that it can be dangerous because in case of an accident (or a near accident), it can come loose and fall on the baby.
  • imagesctiger52408:
  • imagesctiger52408:
    In this case, the mirror would not merely fall on the baby, it would fly Xmph at the babys head in the event of a car accident. Which is why we are not using one as well.
  • imageilovemarfa:

This exactly.
  • imageStardust54:
    imagephishgirl29:

wow, i never thought about that but it makes complete sense. I just wanted it so i can glance at baby to make sure shes ok or not doing something she should but i guess even not paying attention to the road isnt safe so maybe i should return it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not nor have I ever. I have seen a few ladies on here say that when they had their carseats installed at the police station or fire dept, they advised not to use them bc in case of an accident it would be a flying object that could injure baby.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We still use one for our DS1 and installed one for DS2 as well. I like being able to glance back and make sure no one is choking or anything. Im comfortable with how securely they attach to my seats as well

BFP 5/21/10, Missed m/c 7/5/10 at 11w3d (baby measured 7wks), D&C 7/7/10

Aug/Sept 2010 - CD3&10 b/w & u/s, genetic testing, SA, HSG, & Lap/Hyst to remove septum

12/09/10 BFP -- 7/05/11 DS born at 33w5d. Came home after 23d in NICU at 37w0d

June 2012 - TTC #2! -- 10/05/12 BFP --  5/23/13 DS2 born at 37w1d! Yay full term!

Surprise BFP 6/25/14 LO#3 due Feb2015!

imageimage
  • I am not and as mentioned by other mommies-to-be, officers will advise against it.  They can be quite dangerous if a car accident happens.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"