Babies: 3 - 6 Months

slow with foods....?

Hi! ok our DD will be 6 months on 6-4 and she only is up to eating cereal once a day and she tried veggies(HATED IT!) and a couple of fruits(not loving that either) she still has no teeth so we have been just giving her formula and she still gets up at night(sometimes more then once...) how do i convince her to eat new things so we dont go broke on formula bills?!? TIA

Re: slow with foods....?

• Regardless of how much food she eats, formula intake shouldn't really decrease til after a year...
  • I have heard that sometimes it takes introducing a food several times before a baby will like it. That said, I don't have experience with it myself. DS is still only on cereal as of right now. I have also heard of people mixing in other pureed foods with the cereal before.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • 6 months is around when most parents start introducing solids. They should only be getting them 1x a day at that point, and their formula intake should not decrease at all, until they start to self-wean, usually around or after 10 months. You need to be giving your DD formula whenever she wants, she's not old enough to replace it with solids.
  • Her formula intake should not go down before 12 months. Food is to supplement that and to get her used to different tastes and textures.

My now 3.5 year old wouldn't touch solids until she was 8 months and wouldn't eat purees at all ever (she still doesn't care for applesauce or yogurt or things of that consistency). Some kids don't like cereal and purees, others love them (my now 5.5 year old loved them). 

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekjsmith9:
    Regardless of how much food she eats, formula intake shouldn't really decrease til after a year...

This. I think it takes like 15-20 tries to actually form an opinion about a taste so keep offering vegetables. 

• What everyone else has already said.  Formula intake shouldn't go down until much later.  It's still very early and it's possible your LO just isn't really into solids yet.  Perfectly normal.  You're just using this time to introduce different flavors/textures to them. 

If she really doesn't seem into the process at all I would stop giving her food for a couple of weeks and then try again.  No sense in trying to force it if she isn't ready.  It's still early.  If she's into the process, but you think she doesn't like the flavor, as PP pointed out keep trying.  It can take them tasting something over and over again to really come around to the taste.   

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • I have just introduced solids to my LO and even though she loves it, she still wants to nurse constantly. There is no rush and formula is still very beneficial, you want to watch her fluid intake with solids anyway. Just keep trying, but don't push it. At this point, it is more about just introduce different flavors and textures. It is also getting them used to eating from a spoon.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imagethis decaf life:

imagekjsmith9:
    Regardless of how much food she eats, formula intake shouldn't really decrease til after a year...

This. I think it takes like 15-20 tries to actually form an opinion about a taste so keep offering vegetables. 

i have read that as well. 

photo 997d7ce2-9f44-4a90-b78f-0ddf5f488d41_zps82d963f4.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Weaning means first of all being patient. So try, try and try. She'll get into foods after all. . I use very different fruits and vegetables which I get from here: https://goodmomming.com . I think it's a great resource for weaning.

• g8trkimg8trkim member
    imagekjsmith9:

This. She still needs at least 24 oz of formula a day. Food is not necessary yet. If she doesn't like out wait a couple weeks and try again.

• erbearerbear member

imagekjsmith9:

Yup. Food for practice and fun until 1. You've got 6 months of formula in you still.

To answer your question, not much. Some kids take to food. DD2 wasn't interested at all until about 8 months. 

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"